Question about Rum Runners and port days

When you go into a port and then come back on the ship at the end of the day, do they actively search your bags? My parents were going to take a Rum Runner with them into port since they only drink a certain type of vodka and were wondering if they had some left at the end of the day if they could bring it back onto the ship.

Every bag and item goes through a scanner so they will get caught and it will get confiscated. According to the policy they signed they could be denied boarding too, is it worth the risk to save a few dollars and humiliate themselves this way?

When you go into a port and then come back on the ship at the end of the day, do they actively search your bags? My parents were going to take a Rum Runner with them into port since they only drink a certain type of vodka and were wondering if they had some left at the end of the day if they could bring it back onto the ship.

We have taken one of the smaller ones off with us and my husband carried it back in his pocket. No problemo...

Every bag and item goes through a scanner so they will get caught and it will get confiscated. According to the policy they signed they could be denied boarding too, is it worth the risk to save a few dollars and humiliate themselves this way?

Lighten' up, Francis!

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA gotcha3 :-)

Oh and I forgot.. all the guys in our group walked right through the initial screening with the small ones in their pocket when we first boarded for the cruise... Sure made it fun for sail away!!

Just got back from Voyager yesterday. Packed two small rum runners in my carry on bag. No problem. Stuck them in my tennis shoes. They were more worried about the liquids in my cooler that I was carrying on than the bag that went through the scanner.

I am confused, I thought your mother just got the rum runners in February and has been able to conceal them in her carryon on 4 flights? If she knows how to conceal them from the TSA, RCI security should be a piece of cake.

She has but she wasn't sure if they actively search your bags--meaning have you open them and they look through them--or if they just put them through the scanners.

Me and my wife just got off Voyager and we had ZERO problems getting three 8oz Rum Runners and two 32oz Rum Runners in.

Of course your bag will be scanned. It's the bottle cap that seems to be picked up.

We put the 8oz inside my shoes and in my bathroom bag. We put one of the 32oz in my wife's bag that held all the shampoo, conditioner, shaving cream, make-up, etc..

I was wearing some baggy cargo shorts. I could have easily slipped the 8oz in my pockets and gotten onto the boat JUST FINE.

Tell that to the family of the young man injured this week on the Navigator. I hope RCl starts screening carefully for all smuggled liquor including rum rummers in light of this tragic accident.

As much as I agree with you on some level, the spring breakers could clearly have been just as intoxicated on bar-purchased drinks.

As much as I agree with you on some level, the spring breakers could clearly have been just as intoxicated on bar-purchased drinks.
Yes and No. Bar tenders are supposed to cut off drunks from purchasing any more drinks but if they really do is questionable. In the bare minimum it would have at least added one more safety measure.

?

I'd like to know how many bags with Rum Runners were detected/confiscated? And how many of those got refused boarding?

You seem to be so very certain that all were caught.

?

I'd like to know how many bags with Rum Runners were detected/confiscated? And how many of those got refused boarding?

You seem to be so very certain that all were caught.

Rum Runners are not detectable by scanner--maybe the cap can be seen but thats it.

Tell that to the family of the young man injured this week on the Navigator. I hope RCl starts screening carefully for all smuggled liquor including rum rummers in light of this tragic accident.

Lame argument is lame.

Let's follow your logic:

Rum runners contain alcohol.

Boy who jumped in pool was probably drunk.

Rum runners paralyze teenage boys. Gotcha.

Great logic.

Hubby has a pacemaker, so can't go thru the scanners....they're "supposed" to hand search you, but they remembered him everytime we reboarded and waved him thru. He could have had anything on him....they did still scan our bags, tho.

As far as taking your own alcohol ashore...is that even legal (to mix your own drinks) in public places? I'm sure bars wouldn't allow it.

If you're going to take your own booze ashore, then take what you'll drink, drink it all, and you won't have to worry about getting it back on the ship!

From all the drunks(including falling down) that I have witnessed at the bars RCI does not cut anyone off! The bartenders fear for their jobs not to stop the drinking. I do not feel that rum runners were the cause of that terrible accident on board. It was a silly stunt that unfortunately went bad. We all should be hoping that boy recovers instead of suggesting the accident could of been caused by rumrunners.

Hubby has a pacemaker, so can't go thru the scanners....they're "supposed" to hand search you, but they remembered him everytime we reboarded and waved him thru. He could have had anything on him....they did still scan our bags, tho.

As far as taking your own alcohol ashore...is that even legal (to mix your own drinks) in public places? I'm sure bars wouldn't allow it.

If you're going to take your own booze ashore, then take what you'll drink, drink it all, and you won't have to worry about getting it back on the ship!

I too have a pacemaker/defib and I have yet to be waved thru. Maybe I look guilty or something?

Also, having been on a 3 day Monarch earlier this month and Grandeur last month, when RCCL sells buckets of beer before noon and the party boys are walking around with two beers in one hand sliding down bannisters I don't think "smuggled booze" was/is the problem. Can we say revenue?

Just an observation.

Silly me and question but what is a rum runner anyway. Not a big drinker but what's the deal?? Thanks!:confused:

I had to google to find out too!

They are "collapsable, durable, re-usable, undetectible, non-metallic flasks" for storing your booze in them. I watched the video which shows them being scrunched up and slipped easily into a pocket etc.

We had a fellow Cruise Critic member and M&M attendee on our recent Voyager criuse who was banned from all the ships bars on the night before we got home. But she was just about the most intoxicated person I ever saw on any ship or dry land. This is the only case I have heard of. But evidently they do that occasionally. And keeping Rum Runners off the ship or any other liquor brought on would not stop this type of incident. She didn't smuggle anything and she still got totally plastered before they cut her off.

Archived