Another Question re Eliminating Formal Nights

Rudolph38

Dark jeans with a velvet jacket and dress shirt is Brian's attire on a casual night. On formal nights he wears a tux (and he wears it beautifully, I might add).

Thanks Love - Tho lately for casual nights I've been moving towards linen slacks (sometimes pink!) and my collection of Lilly Pulitzer blazers...

;)

We took a NCL cruise this year to join a large group of friends. Even on NCL on a 5 night cruise, people dressed up, suits, ties and evening dresses. Interesting! But the evenings were not elegant, no special dinners, which was OK with our large group...since some of these people would never consider bringing a suit on a cruise....hmmm, not sure they own a suit let alone a tux. I too would be dissapointed if they did not have at least one formal night, since I love how my hubbie looks in his tux, and love getting snuggly close while tying his bowtie!

Here's how I look at this:

On our first cruise in the 1960s, business suit or tux was what formal night required. First cruise, father wore suit. Next cruise, he had a tux and so did I.

Wasn't hard to comply.

Today, I own two tuxes and a dinner jacket. Wear them at home. No big deal.

Would hate for HAl to eliminate this. Gosh knows they've eliminated so many things that set them apart from the pack.

There's a reason why HAL doesnt score as high with World Ocean. Blending, instead of standing apart, is one.

Thanks Love - Tho lately for casual nights I've been moving towards linen slacks (sometimes pink!) and my collection of Lilly Pulitzer blazers...

;)

But of course, m'dear. You were doing Hawaii. Velvet and jeans would have been so wrong.

Welcome home. Luv.

It doesn't, and I don't recall anyone ever saying that it does. However, there's a lot more to dining than just the taste of the food or the service.

That is so true Ruth----one goes to the Lido to "eat" but the MDR is for "dining" which encompasses, dress, elegant surroundings, gracious service, good conversation, relaxation----etc------all which are much better for the digestion than rushed, noisy meals with people dressed like they are going to a dog show.

As a disclaimer, I do not mean to infer that all people go to the Lido dressed as though they were going to a dog show (although I might possibly have seen a few;))-----it was simply meant to illustrate both ends of the spectrum.

. . .with people dressed like they are going to a dog show.

As a disclaimer, I do not mean to infer that all people go to the Lido dressed as though they were going to a dog show (although I might possibly have seen a few;))-----it was simply meant to illustrate both ends of the spectrum.

Ouch! :eek: You hit a nerve there. I used to show dogs and I can tell you that if you go to a Dog Show to show your dog, your dress will border on close-to-formal-night attire.

The fact that HAL eliminated formal nights would certainly never prevent me from dressing appropriately for a fine evening out with my wife. I would keep cruising with HAL and keep dressing as I always do when we go out. They could tell me all they want that Dockers and a collared golf shirt are ACCEPTED, I don't think I would ever get turned away from the MDR for wearing a suit and tie.

I second your approach. We just returned from the Eurodam, 7 day Carribbean cruise. We dressed up most nights for dinner in the MDR. We were a bit surprised that the MDR was quite empty most nights, so I asked the Matre'd about it. He said on that cruise many folks preferred to eat in their cabins. We had a table for 2, so we had a very pleasant time in the MDR, lots of staff to cater to our desires.

If HAL dropped formal nights we would still dress up especially on Friday nights or other special evenings for us. We often dress up on casual nights as it is now. We figure we go to enjoy ourselves and dressing up is part of the fun. My husband always brings a tux, a white dinner jacket and a suit or a sports jacket. He is European and has his own style. Since we always get a table for 2 we feel we are not bothering anyone else.

We also cruise Princess, Celebrity and Cunard. We do the same on all lines.

Ouch! :eek: You hit a nerve there. I used to show dogs and I can tell you that if you go to a Dog Show to show your dog, your dress will border on close-to-formal-night attire.

Good laugh-----I thought after I wrote that post, that I was probably insulting all the dog lovers of America-----so maybe I should take this opportunity to retract the "dog show" comparison and change it to something like "dressed for yard work". Does that work better for you?;)

Good laugh-----I thought after I wrote that post, that I was probably insulting all the dog lovers of America-----so maybe I should take this opportunity to retract the "dog show" comparison and change it to something like "dressed for yard work". Does that work better for you?;)

Yard work, yes, that works much better for me. You would not want to see anyone in the MDR dressed like I do for yard work! ;)

Thank you. :)

I always like to look at least as good as my Havanese when showing, so I wear my best... and hope for the best!

Thank you. :)

I always like to look at least as good as my Havanese when showing, so I wear my best... and hope for the best!

You're welcome----lesson learned.........the best of luck in your next show. Do they give prizes for the best turned out owner as well?:)

My DH and I wouldn't like to see Formal Nights discontined on HAL, or on any line that has them. DH has a Tux he only gets to wear on NY Eve and at a couple of Ballroom Dance weekends yearly. Cruises give us other opportunities to dress elegantly, which we enjoy.

One of the reasons we cruise with HAL is it's ambiance, including the fact that pax dress nicely for dinner in the MDR.

We've noticed fewer jackets and ties on non-formal nights on several cruise lines. My DH won't be bringing an extra sport coat or blazer to dinner, but will wear either a dress shirt/tie or a collard short sleeve shirt in the future. This is more about packing likely than about not liking to dress for dinner.

BTW, I took a cruise with my thirty-something DD a few years ago on NCL. We dressed nicely for dinner every night. Can't say that was the norm. What do you expect when the sign at the entrance to the MDR reads "no ripped jeans in the Dining Room at Dinner." She was as amazed as I was at how beyond casual most pax were dressed.

Here's to continuing Formal Nights!!

As for myself, I hate dress clothes and don't do, ever, ever formal or any setting that requires a shirt/tie on my vacation - bar none! Cruising I can take it or leave it but it is a good way to get around and enjoy different venues/ports/scenery. The cruises I have been on were fun and there have been no regrets to date. I tell this to the group we travel with that I don't pack any type of dress attire and I won't be attending any formal nights.

:D

My thoughts exactly ! Well said!

You're welcome----lesson learned.........the best of luck in your next show. Do they give prizes for the best turned out owner as well?:)

I hope you know I was just having a bit of fun with you... no lesson intended! :o

(As for yardwork attire... you wouldn't want to see me in that! Ain't pretty!)

I enjoy the first formal evening per week, but I don't like to smush my tootsies into heels by the second one. So, one per week is great for me!

I hope you know I was just having a bit of fun with you... no lesson intended! :o

(As for yardwork attire... you wouldn't want to see me in that! Ain't pretty!)

I enjoy the first formal evening per week, but I don't like to smush my tootsies into heels by the second one. So, one per week is great for me!

Oh yes----I knew it was all in fun. Not to worry.;)

It wasn't the only reason but it definately is why we started looking at HAL in the first place. Maybe I'm old fashioned - but I like cruising to be as it has been over the years - fixed seating... formal night etc.

We left Princess because of the Personal Choice nightmares and having people in jeans on formal nights.

I love formal night - and so does DH. He was so excited on our last cruise we went out and bought him a tux.

Like most of the other cruisers, we enjoy and chose HAL for it's ambiance and we like the formality and opportunity to get dressed up. We're only 42ish and 47 but we enjoy it and so do our young children, of course, our DD - age 5 more than our son - age 4. Anyway, my DH looks HOT in formal wear so I'm not knocking it and it encourages me to lose a few pounds before the cruise and buy a new "formal" cocktail dress so I can look like a HOT MAMA too. :) Nothing like looking svelt and a bit sexy while walking with 2 little ones - HA! A few times a week isn't going to kill us and the other nights we go business casual or is that semi-formal? Nice sun dresses for the girls, khakis and long button down shirts for the boys.

Usually I steer clear of this type of discussion, since this is a very personal thing. But after reading this thread and the other opposite view formal thread, it has finally got on the last nerve I have left.

We have cruised with HAL quite a bit now and have noticed that HAL's formal nights are way more "relaxed" in both appearance and stuffiness then other cruise lines. Most if not all the guy’s were a jacket (not necessarily black either) and some do wear a Tux. AND, yes people do look, but I do not see the OMG stares like in other cruise lines if you don't dress in a penguin suit (sorry no offense to those that own a Tux). The ladies still dress in very nice outfits, but that too, is not to the level of super sequins as in other lines. So how is that more relaxed, well, when we started cruising on a competitive level cruise line, on formal nights, I wore a black suit ( not a Tux - but a 3 piece suit) and I was underdressed...dramatically..Quickly switching to HAL when we heard their formal nights are "less formal", we felt much better and fit in.

So, my point is… what is the big deal???. I would not consider wearing torn jeans to a good restaurant in my home town. I would put on a decent shirt and pants, so what is the big whoopee about throwing on a tie and a jacket, or just a jacket…? Yes, I know with the airlines charging for every ounce, including a suit jacket/full Tux is just one less bathing suit I can include. BUT, in order to overcome that I went to my local Moore’s suit store in Canada and explained the situation and ended up with a very light weight black blazer that does deed. That plus a pair of light weight black pants, shirt and couple of ties ended up being less then 5 pounds to haul around. (Who wants to wear heavy weight wool in the Caribbean anyway?)

Yes, I know this is a vacation (your vacation), but if you want to wear cut off jeans that show everything you own and muscle shirts, then go to the Lido – please.

My only little issue with the Formal thingy, is that HAL requests (not demands) that you stay in costume for the entire night – including the shows etc..I don’t particularly like that point but DW has the last say on that one….

I just got off the Noordam March 25. This cruise had three (3) formal nights and 7 smart casual. I have sailed HAL for many years but the truth of the matter is that formal nights just are not what they used to be. A sign of the times? Maybe. I own my own tux and I CHOOSE to wear it and I am comfortable wearing it . That said on this cruise 80% of the gentlemen wore suits (guessing). The gentlemen looked great wearing them and the ladies hey they all looked good to me (lol). I'll give them all 10's because I do not want to get into trouble here. Formal nights are going to go the way of the souvenir "menus" and the "sparklers" in the Baked Alaska. It is all just a matter of time. I might also add that there was a questionaire in the Survey concerning smoking. About 4 questions but the bottom line...would you cruise on HAL if there was a "No Smoking"policy throughout the ship? Maybe what you will see in the future are nights where a jacket and tie (sport jacket, suit) will be required but not necessary called "Formal". But IMHO HAL is going to have to spell it out and put it in writing and enforce it (policy).

bob

If you are gauging a possible disappearance of formal nights on HAL to come in the near future based upon that smoking questionnaire...... :) don't.

That questionannaire is their way of delaying making any further changes to smoking policy while making some people think more restrictions are imminent. That survey has been distributed for at least 3 years now. It is nothing but a delaying technique.

My view of how to interpret why people book a cruise that requires certain dress for two nights out of seven to fit HAL's definition of formal is like a cruiser at the buffet. They pick and choose the parts they like and then try to change the things they don't like on HAL. They want to sail HAL but want to make it into all things the way they like it not the way it currently exists. They probably will succeed. HAL's newer cruisers have already brought about many changes ..... not all of them bad IMO, and they probably will be the source of at least a few more significant alterations in the product.

If you are gauging a possible disappearance of formal nights on HAL to come in the near future based upon that smoking questionnaire...... :) don't.

That questionannaire is their way of delaying making any further changes to smoking policy while making some people think more restrictions are imminent. That survey has been distributed for at least 3 years now. It is nothing but a delaying technique.

My view of how to interpret why people book a cruise that requires certain dress for two nights out of seven to fit HAL's definition of formal is like a cruiser at the buffet. They pick and choose the parts they like and then try to change the things they don't like on HAL. They want to sail HAL but want to make it into all things the way they like it not the way it currently exists. They probably will succeed. HAL's newer cruisers have already brought about many changes ..... not all of them bad IMO, and they probably will be the source of at least a few more significant alterations in the product.

I am not gauging anything on a smoking policy questionaire if thats what you got out of my previous post your mistaken. What I am saying is that IMHO formal nights as I knew them in the past HAVE changed and that suits & ties are fine by me.

bob

Archived