What are the absolute essentials to pack?

alm64

Okay... I started packing last night for our cruise Sunday. After I packed all the "stuff" people recommend, I had half filled a large suitcase. I haven't even packed clothes, yet.

So, what are the absolute essentials that MUST be packed and what "recommended" things could we get leave home?

over the door thingie, especially on older ships with no counter in BR

contact lens case and solution as well as extra contacts

hair conditioner

lysol wipes--wipe everything down when you get to your room

meds

hair dryer

stockings to go with your formal outfit--don't forget shoes

sun screen

good book

insurance papers--DOCS!

Okay... I started packing last night for our cruise Sunday. After I packed all the "stuff" people recommend, I had half filled a large suitcase. I haven't even packed clothes, yet.

So, what are the absolute essentials that MUST be packed and what "recommended" things could we get leave home?

Toothbrush, one dollar bills, camera, change of underwear, rum runners, cruise critic note pad.:)

Here is my list... just take things that you think you can't do without... Leave the rest home..

Is the travel clothes steamer worth the weight and space?

This last trip is the first time I did not bring my steamer. It is so bulky, I decided to try the downy wrinkle release instead. I hung everything up when I got there, and decided to just treat things as I wore them. Funny thing is, most of the wrinkles fell out while hanging. I don't know if it was the humidity or what. I did not even use my downy wrinkle release, and I did not need to iron anything in the laundry room either! That was a nice surprise for me, and I saved a little room and weight in my luggage!

Take out half of the recommended - you will never use it. Close your eyes and walk through at day on the ship what you plan on doing and see what you use. Other than documents, IDs, plenty of $1s for tipping, a major credit card and a bathing suit everything else is gravy. I do take dryer sheets to put in drawers and in suitcase under the bed for dirty laundry. Have a blast.

Is the travel clothes steamer worth the weight and space?

I think you can ask your room steward for an iron if you need it?

Also try rolling your clothes instead of folding and you'll have less wrinkles in them.

What's a Cruise Critic note pad?

A note pad to write down on our points so you can have a good post on CC when you get back!

I would bring the steamer for sure. I can't tell you how many times I have pointed at someone on the lido and told my wife "Oh my god, look at those people! Thier clothes are totally mildly wrinkled! Disgusting...."

over the door thingie, especially on older ships with no counter in BR

contact lens case and solution as well as extra contacts

hair conditioner

lysol wipes--wipe everything down when you get to your room

meds

hair dryer

stockings to go with your formal outfit--don't forget shoes

sun screen

good book

insurance papers--DOCS!

a hair dryer is included in the stateroom.

I always think that as long as I have my passport and a credit card : i am good to go!

on the last trip I had planned to many outfits and I missed having a wrap for the windy evenings.

I agree with everything posted, and also you might want to bring some bungee cords to open your doors at night when sleeping. There's nothing like the night air in the Caribbean...

sb

Instead of bungee cords, I just use the doorstopper for the main cabin door and wedge it between the door and frame of the balcony door.

Hey Janet - great review! Thanks so much!!! I would never have thought of many of those things. I am totally planning to take a case or two of water now. I have a question about the rum runners, though. I've ordered one of the packages, so we are definitely planning on using those. When you took them on deck with you, did you just order a Coke and discreetly add to it while on deck? What happens if they catch you? Do you think they would just take that one container away? Have you heard of that happening? Also, did you take sports bottles and put your drinks in those? I just don't quite "get" how that all works and I appreciate the additional explanation.

Thanks!!!

Kim

On my last cruise I left out 3 things I needed that ended up costing me about $35 (total) in the gift shop:

Visine

Tampons (sorry...tmi)

Aloe gel...for the Grand Cayman sunburn

All 3 will be in my bag for June's cruise! :D

Have a fabulous trip!!!

Archived