Shore excursion pricing

schoolinmy3

I find it absolutely ridiculous that although they are considered "children" until the age of 18, most children's pricing cut-off is at age 10. Not just on HAL, which is being generous allowing it up until 12. I hate having to pay adult rates for my 13 year old. She is in no way shape or form an adult (although she'd like to think so :p). So how do companies justify charging so much more for children, just because they turn a certain age?

Sorry for my rant... just had to get that off my chest:o

I hate having to pay adult rates for my 13 year old. She is in no way shape or form an adult (although she'd like to think so :p). So how do companies justify charging so much more for children, just because they turn a certain age?
Is her 13-yr old hinney taking a seat on the tour bus? ;)

Is her 13-yr old hinney taking a seat on the tour bus? ;)

Why yes it is:D However her hiney is not much bigger than my 10 y/o's hiney, and I get children's pricing for him. And the cruise lines consider her a child, at child's pricing. At least up until 18 she is charged at children's rates. So if they are charging child rates for her to cruise, why then is she charged adult rates for excursions? Really I should have stated that in my earlier post... Sorry bout that.

Would you rather HAL charge an adult fare for everyone over 2 just as an airline would? Do you think the tour companies deserve to paid less because she is a 'child'? She is taking up space that could possibly have been sold to an adult. Maybe HAL should offer children's fares on a 'space available' basis (IF there is extra room on the bus then you could also bring children at a reduced fare). Would you feel better if you paid an adult price for your 10-yr old too? HAL is giving a break on the 10-yr old. Be happy with that. :D

I wouldn't be thrilled about paying adult fares for them, but if that's how they set up their pricing structure, at least I would expect to pay the same for the excursions. It's the disparity between how they categorize children's ages for booking and selling shore excursions that I have an issue with. And my children are most likely filling seats that wouldn't have sold otherwise when we take a tour. And the rates that they charge on Alaska excursions... those tour operators are not going to go broke offering children's prices.

I know, we basically can't take ANY of the ship's excursions in the Mediterranean because we have to multiply everything by 5. We would be spending $500 and $1K at each port.:eek: I don't mind doing our own excursions, it just takes more planning, so it is not a big deal. I just couldn't find any specific age for the child pricing. And my 10 yo paid full cruise fare too because she is in a room with me and my husband is in a second room with our boys because at 19 and 17 they have to have an adult with them for booking purposes. Also, because our one son is 17 they can't do any of the excursions without us, yet they have to pay full price. Again, I don't mind I just wanted it clarified. This way I know by exactly how much our budget is blown.:rolleyes:

diane

LOL - there shouldn't be any discounts for the age or size of the hiney. A seat is a seat. Your kid takes up a slot on a tour, he/she should be charged the same price as the 30, 40, or 70-yr old hiney that's also on the tour. It's a choice to have 3 or 5 kids....and no excursion is an entitlement.

Sue/WDW1972

Ryndam 4/11/10

Eurodam 3/5/11

Archived