Does HAL let you have guests aboard

cruiseing marly

I would like to know if any one has had HAL approve guests on the ship for the day at a port of call.

Kween Karen did, but that was on a 67 day Grand Voyage. I think her guests had to be approved quite a long time before the port day since, I think, they had to pre-provide their i.d.'s

I have friends who live in Anchorage and my cruise isn't until May but even with time to provide their info, I didn't get permission for them to board.

Ever since 9/11 guests aren't usually allowed onboard any cruise ships.

I think travel agent groups are an exception, and wedding guests too.

Do you think the hotel manager or the Captain could arrange this on board ?Do you think the neptune might help to get this done? Thank you
When I have heard of it being allowed it has been requested and approved months in advance. I very much doubt that it can be arranged after you are on board.

Ever since 9/11 guests aren't usually allowed onboard any cruise ships.

I think only if you are crew can you have guests approved to board since 9/11.

The tightening of security which severely limits guests on board long precedes 9/11. It was after the Achille Lauro incident that the restrictions were introduced.

Do you think the hotel manager or the Captain could arrange this on board ?Do you think the neptune might help to get this done? Thank you

Neither the captain, HM or the concierges have the authority to make these arrangments.

You have to go through Seattle -- months in advance to arrange for this.

Kween Karen is the only one I have heard in recent months that got this approval.

Last Sept. we cruised on the Eurodam from Quebec City to Fort Lauderdale along with friends who were also from Saint John. Since the Eurodam was calling in Saint John, our friends arranged through their travel agent, well in advance, to have all their grandchildren come aboard for a tour of the ship.

It had not occured to me to ask, so I didn't make arrangements for our grandchildren to come as well. By the time my friend mentioned it to me we were already aboard and it was too late for security checks etc.

I have no idea whether it is up to the individual captain or to Seattle, but it might be worth seeing what your agent can arrange for you,.

Yes I arranged to have guests come onborad in Vancouver, Los Angeles and Sydney. As others have mentioned I started the process months in advance and worked through Seattle. I had to send lots of information including my guest's passport numbers. I don't know if this was possible only because it was a long Grand Voyage. A couple of friends I met onboard arranged for guests too......and they didn't start the arrangements until we were already traveling.

We just returned from the 30 day Inca Treasures Rotterdam cruise to Peru and back. We had friends at an all-inclusive in Mexico that I wanted to bring aboard for lunch and a tour. I inquired at the front desk, was given a form to fill out with complete names, addresses, date of birth, citizenship and passport numbers, relationship to me, etc. Although we were given permission to do this, it was cancelled as by the time we got there, unfortunately the Rotterdam was under code red so that was that. It can be done and if you do it, get your paperwork from the Front Desk and get it in as soon as you board. It has to be approved by the Hotel Manager and one other officer/staff and seems to be up to their complete discretion.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the info worked exactly like you replied . My brother and his wife were given visitor passes . They stayed on board for four hours and had drinks and dinner with us . We had a great time . I am not sure if the captain always grants this but it worked for us. When they were leaving the ship the officer on duty asked how every thing went.

Princess now has a program where guests can pay $39 and come onboard in port, get a tour and have lunch. If they book a cruise, their $39 is returned as OBC. I just read it yesterday on the Princess board. I believe it is only in US ports. EM

I am sure we were not as safe in simpler times as we are now, but I miss those times.

In 1983, in Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, I was able to bring my sister-in-law and my very young niece and nephew aboard a cruise ship for an hour, just before departure. All that I did was ask when I returned to the ship. I took them around the ship, showed them my cabin, the dining room, pools, etc., and then they had to leave.

I remember being a little surprised that I could do this, but I had gone ahead and asked. My niece and nephew were thrilled to see the cruise ship on the inside, as they had seen a lot of them from the outside.

We arranged this on board through the front-office and got approval by the captain. Our daughter was able to come aboard on 2 different sailings.

Just for a visit to the ship and have a drink.

We were asked if she would have lunch too, but that was not necessary.

She had to bring her passport which was kept at the gate.

Maybe it helped that she is dutch too.

Archived