Regent Air

elmwood

we were told by Regent that flight information would be available 75 days before sailing.

I have a question regarding insurance. If cruise plans are cancelled before sailing, illness, for example, will the airline re-imburse Regent, or do we have to add the business class upgrade to our cruise insurance.

In our case, we have purchased $4000 worth of business class upgrade. ($999 pre person per flight.)

Oh dear, if we want to do our own air it must be done soon, as the best fares are right now. If we wait until 75 days before sailing before finding out we don't like Regent's routing, then its too late to book our own at decent fares. Guess we'll have to decide without knowing what air routing would have eventually been offered by Regent. I don't think I'm willing to take a chance on getting a "milk-run" routing with red-eye flights, etc.

As to the insurance, I believe that the full cost of the cruise, including all air, must be insured. At least that was my understanding when speaking to an insurance carrier on our last booking. Our current TA has included complementary insurance on the cruise portion only, and we now must get our own insurance on the air (as soon as we've decided how we are going to fly, that is). I would check with your TA on this.

You are incorrect about having to insure the full coast of the cruise, including air. You can insure any amount of the cruise that you care to. At least that is what we did on our last big cruise. We decided to insure about one-half the total cost and self-insure the rest.

You are incorrect about having to insure the full coast of the cruise, including air. You can insure any amount of the cruise that you care to. At least that is what we did on our last big cruise. We decided to insure about one-half the total cost and self-insure the rest.

Well, that makes perfect sense, so we must have misunderstood our insurance broker - or else different insurance carriers have different rules? In any case, going back to the original question as to whether the airline would reimburse Regent in the event of a cancellation, we don't really know what Regent's contract with the carrier covers, so the question would have to be asked of Regent or the TA as to whether one would need to get extra insurance for the air and/or upgrades - assuming that the traveller does not wish to self-insure. Just MHO.

nanook21, you have a few options that I know about, and probably more if you check with your agent. If you are booking an air deviation, flight information is available well in advance of the 75 days, possibly event now for your cruise, and your agent can contact Regent to see if you can get the flights that you desire and what the cost would be to get those flights. You would then book the flights now and they would become part of your contract with Regent. You can book the FLL to PHX now and either absorb the loss if you decide to forfeit the tickets because the included air on Regent turns out to be acceptable to you or, depending upon the rules of the ticket, take the credit for cancelling those tickets if the airline allows that option. You can also check on the date that you need to let Regent know if you are going to use their air and then make a decision at that point and hope that the sale price on tickets will happen once again.

neviboy, we have insurance that covers us for a specific out of pocket amount from the time that we leave home until the time that we arrive home. I suggest that you check your policy as each one is different. Where you live also makes a difference to what the policy includes.

Well, that makes perfect sense, so we must have misunderstood our insurance broker - or else different insurance carriers have different rules? In any case, going back to the original question as to whether the airline would reimburse Regent in the event of a cancellation, we don't really know what Regent's contract with the carrier covers, so the question would have to be asked of Regent or the TA as to whether one would need to get extra insurance for the air and/or upgrades - assuming that the traveller does not wish to self-insure. Just MHO.

Be careful about insuring for less than the full cost if you want the pre-existing condition waiver. Many policies will not waive pre-existing conditions unless you insure the full cost of the trip. I know that CSA does not require insuring the full trip cost to get the waiver; other policies may also not require insuring full trip cost to get the waiver. Make sure you read the policy carefully.

Dave

nanook21, you have a few options that I know about, and probably more if you check with your agent. If you are booking an air deviation, flight information is available well in advance of the 75 days, possibly event now for your cruise, and your agent can contact Regent to see if you can get the flights that you desire and what the cost would be to get those flights. You would then book the flights now and they would become part of your contract with Regent. You can book the FLL to PHX now and either absorb the loss if you decide to forfeit the tickets because the included air on Regent turns out to be acceptable to you or, depending upon the rules of the ticket, take the credit for cancelling those tickets if the airline allows that option. You can also check on the date that you need to let Regent know if you are going to use their air and then make a decision at that point and hope that the sale price on tickets will happen once again.

neviboy, we have insurance that covers us for a specific out of pocket amount from the time that we leave home until the time that we arrive home. I suggest that you check your policy as each one is different. Where you live also makes a difference to what the policy includes.

Thanks Mariners, thats great info. I'll talk to my TA about it.

Nanook21,

Adding to Mariners' excellent advice, your TA can check with Regent for air deviation requests 270 days before your first flight. Tomorrow is 270 days before 1/11/11. Regent will be able to put a hold on your return flight until it is within the 270 day window. The $100 pp deviation fee is not charged unless you accept Regent's routing so there is no down side to your TA checking with Regent about a deviation.

Dave

Nanook21,

Adding to Mariners' excellent advice, your TA can check with Regent for air deviation requests 270 days before your first flight. Tomorrow is 270 days before 1/11/11. Regent will be able to put a hold on your return flight until it is within the 270 day window. The $100 pp deviation fee is not charged unless you accept Regent's routing so there is no down side to your TA checking with Regent about a deviation.

Dave

Agree with almost everything you said. . . however, our TA said it 270 days from the last day of the cruise rather than the first day:)

Nanook21,

Dave

So if I read this right, I can only check Regent's air routing in advance IF I put in a deviation request, but I don't have to accept the deviation routing after I've requested it? My brain is starting to hurt (sorry, I'm easily confused).

Look how much precise information we have just received by using CC.com. We can make decisions on purchasing travel insurance and making flight arrangements. All thanks to knowledgeable contributors.

Nanook, Eskimos' brains don't get tired. Perhaps frozen and in need of thawing out.

Agree with almost everything you said. . . however, our TA said it 270 days from the last day of the cruise rather than the first day:)

Interesting since I believe we have the same TA. For our Cape Town to Ft. Lauderdale cruise this December, we are flying to Cape Town on Nov. 25th and returning from Ft. Lauderdale on Jan. 4th. Our TA was able to book the Regent air deviation for us on March 1st, which is 269 days before Nov. 25th. Our Jan 4th return flight was booked in a hold status until 270 days before that date. I received Lufthansa and US Airways confirmation numbers for all flights, could view our reservations online and could select seats on March 1st.

Dave

So if I read this right, I can only check Regent's air routing in advance IF I put in a deviation request, but I don't have to accept the deviation routing after I've requested it? My brain is starting to hurt (sorry, I'm easily confused).

Correct. You can suggest routings to Regent and/or have Regent let you know what routings are available on the days you want to fly. They will let your TA know what routings are available for booking and additional costs, if any. If an available routing is acceptable to you, you accept it and, only then, are you charged the deviation fee.

Dave

Interesting since I believe we have the same TA. For our Cape Town to Ft. Lauderdale cruise this December, we are flying to Cape Town on Nov. 25th and returning from Ft. Lauderdale on Jan. 4th. Our TA was able to book the Regent air deviation for us on March 1st, which is 269 days before Nov. 25th. Our Jan 4th return flight was booked in a hold status until 270 days before that date. I received Lufthansa and US Airways confirmation numbers for all flights, could view our reservations online and could select seats on March 1st.

Dave

I love that itinerary. We were booked to do it this year -- then cancelled and went last year. We adore Cape Town.

The 270 day mark does seem a bit fuzzy. It was suppose to be the 1st week of May. Then, this week I learned that we could do the deviation next week. Not sure if Regent will go for our choice.. . . . guess I have to patiently wait until next week:-)

Nanook, Eskimos' brains don't get tired. Perhaps frozen and in need of thawing out.

Thats a good one - LOL. Actually I'm in Phoenix for the winter, and enjoying 88F golf course weather! Don't head back to the northern "tundra" until May.

My TA just informed me that cruise lines (she didn't specify Regent, so I think she just didn't bother to check) won't start looking at air until 60 days in advance. Maybe I need a new TA, as it appears this one isn't going to spend the necessary time to duke this out for me. Looks like we'll be doing our own Air after all.

Thats a good one - LOL. Actually I'm in Phoenix for the winter, and enjoying 88F golf course weather! Don't head back to the northern "tundra" until May.

My TA just informed me that cruise lines (she didn't specify Regent, so I think she just didn't bother to check) won't start looking at air until 60 days in advance. Maybe I need a new TA, as it appears this one isn't going to spend the necessary time to duke this out for me. Looks like we'll be doing our own Air after all.

Definitely sounds like you need a new TA:o

Well, the good news is, I've found my own Business class air from Lima back to the US (Miami) for a great price thru a wholesaler, and really cheap domestic fares from Phx-FLL and from MIA-Phx, and the total cost is only $60 more than what we would be paying Regent - after the BC add-ons and the deviation fees. So I'm happy, I can control our air to our liking! And I don't have to fight with my TA or Regent. Yay!

Well, the good news is, I've found my own Business class air from Lima back to the US (Miami) for a great price thru a wholesaler, and really cheap domestic fares from Phx-FLL and from MIA-Phx, and the total cost is only $60 more than what we would be paying Regent - after the BC add-ons and the deviation fees. So I'm happy, I can control our air to our liking! And I don't have to fight with my TA or Regent. Yay!

Great news! What time do you leave Lima?

We are looking at two different American Airlines flights, both for the same price of $1598 (tax incl) each, business class Lima to Miami. Email me at huciks@shaw.ca if you are interested in the details. We will probably take the flight leaving Lima at 12:45 am on Jan 26. It arrives Miami at 6:00 am with good connections elsewhere.

Nanook21,

Dave

Just an update to this Dave, I talked to my TA on Friday and after she was put forever on hold with Regent's Air department, they finally told her to call back after May 1. That's 270 days from the last day of the cruise. If I wait for May 1, then the excellent discount fares I found on my own will be gone - so I've decided to do our own air and instructed our TA to credit off the air portion of the cruise cost. This way we can control the routing we want, and the carrier. :)

Unfortunately we now must do our own transfers, so will be looking for advice on how and where to book that! (I believe we would have lost the transfers anyway if we had booked a deviation with Regent).

Just an update to this Dave, I talked to my TA on Friday and after she was put forever on hold with Regent's Air department, they finally told her to call back after May 1. That's 270 days from the last day of the cruise. If I wait for May 1, then the excellent discount fares I found on my own will be gone - so I've decided to do our own air and instructed our TA to credit off the air portion of the cruise cost. This way we can control the routing we want, and the carrier. :)

Unfortunately we now must do our own transfers, so will be looking for advice on how and where to book that! (I believe we would have lost the transfers anyway if we had booked a deviation with Regent).

As I detailed above, my TA was able to get flights 269 days before our first flight. Maybe the person at Regent Air a TA talks to has something to do with the different results our TA's obtained. Possibly, Regent changed their rules after my flights were booked. Whatever the reason, I wouldn't doubt that the ongoing air crisis in Europe played a role.

As to transfers, I can't help you with Lima but for Ft. Lauderdale, just take a taxi. The airport is very close to the cruise terminal or hotels if you're arriving a few days before your cruise. Take a look at the port of call boards for South America and I'm sure you'll find some suggestions for Lima transfers.

Dave

In Lima, you need to prebook a transfer with someone. We were on a land trip there, and our hotel arranged our pickup at the airport. But walking through the airport with various guys trying to grab our luggage till we found our driver was scary enough to make me sure I don't want to take a taxi there.

DaveFR, thanks for the advice in FLL - we haven't sailed from there before, but I already figured a taxi wouldn't be a problem. And we're arriving the day before and booking a hotel, so it should be easy.

RachelG, thanks for the info on Lima. We'll definitely be booking with a travel agent co. in Lima to look after our transfer and possibly a hotel for the day.

These cc boards are wonderful! Takes a lot of the stress out of travel.

Archived