Why call the ship a boat?

mississauga

Dear Lord, no! (No offense to Mainers.) I took Naval and Military History classes in college thinking they would somehow be useful for a real-life adult career.

Good luck with that. Interesteing, but about as usefull as bad-mitten class. I would be a military historian if they payed more than 28k a year :)

Good luck with that. Interesteing, but about as usefull as bad-mitten class. I would be a military historian if they payed more than 28k a year :)

So would I, but being a paralegal pays a lot more, so here I am. ;)

I say ship, but technically it is a boat. Here is the dictionary definition.

noun

1.a vessel for transport by water, constructed to provide buoyancy by excluding water and shaped to give stability and permit propulsion.

2.a small ship, generally for specialized use: a fishing boat.

3.a small vessel carried for use by a large one, as a lifeboat: They lowered the boats for evacuation.

4.a ship.

5.a vessel of any size built for navigation on a river or other inland body of water.

6.a serving dish resembling a boat: a gravy boat; a celery boat.

7.Ecclesiastical. a container for holding incense before it is placed in the censer.

I don't care what people want to call it.

All ships are boats. Not all boats are ships.

And technically, you don't sail on a cruise...at least on most cruise lines.

I say "ship", and I use the term "sail" when talking about cruising.

But I could give a care how anyone else refers to the craft...vessel..whatever...on which I am traveling. As long as I'm there! :)

They are just words that some use interchangeably. It has nothing to do with education or age. If someone is giving a review about a "boat" they were on I am sure their intent is to give people their observations/ideas, etc. They certainly aren't thinking that using a specific word for the vessel will matter.

A ship's captain gets annoyed if you refer to his vessel as a boat, but a boat's captain does not get annoyed if you refer to his vessel as a ship.
If a ships captain got annoyed that I called a ship a boat I would tell him to shut the hell up. I would then inform him that it is his job to make my cruise a good cruise. I would also tell him I would be informing The parent company of his behavior because I used a word that in his mind was the wrong word.

I really dought that a captian cares one way or the other if it is called a boat or a ship. If they do get annoyed, I really don't give a dam.

Followed immediately by you getting kicked right off that boat. Yea, that would be worth it.

what is really funny is how some people treat the captain like he is some god, the truth is he is just another employee who's job it is to make sure that my cruise goes well!

you can fit a boat on a ship, but can't fit a ship on a boat. I also read one time that the true definition refers to the tonnage of displacement.

BUT.... Who really cares.

BUT,you can fit a ship on a stick, I have 2......Never, have I seen a boat on a stick...just sayin:D

we have a 19 ft boat in the backyard, Boomerang is the name so he always comes back ;) We refer to ships usually by boat because that is what we are used to calling it. When we are diving, my dh, will say...all right, get ready to get into the pool, which is in fact the ocean. If my speech was corrected by anyone eavesdropping, we would all laugh, and during the cruise/trip/vacation/vacay/holiday they would be the butt of our jokes. It bugs me when people say "wallah" instead of vwallah as the french word is voila which means there is....but i would never correct anyone.

Archived