Find a cruise deal to share with us.

But they still made a healthy profit last year.

Jillybean:)

Not really. Carnival and RCL made a book profit, NCL made a major loss. However, I wouldn't call the profits 'healthy'. As a measure of capital used, the return was very low.

Also, as said, it was a book profit, but that doesn't mean it was a real one generated from ongoing business. For example, RCL's latest earnings declared 1c/share profit, i.e. effectively as low as they could to be in profit. However, 40c/share was paid from a legal settlement with Rolls Royce. Deduct that and it's a clear loss.

Basically, of the 3 largest operators worldwide, the only one that stayed in profit was CCL, it being the largest and having the most stable earnings. Even compared to other industries though, its profit was not healthy, and dividends were cancelled by CCL (and RCL) as a safety measure.

Not really. Carnival and RCL made a book profit, NCL made a major loss. However, I wouldn't call the profits 'healthy'. As a measure of capital used, the return was very low.

Also, as said, it was a book profit, but that doesn't mean it was a real one generated from ongoing business. For example, RCL's latest earnings declared 1c/share profit, i.e. effectively as low as they could to be in profit. However, 40c/share was paid from a legal settlement with Rolls Royce. Deduct that and it's a clear loss.

Basically, of the 3 largest operators worldwide, the only one that stayed in profit was CCL, it being the largest and having the most stable earnings. Even compared to other industries though, its profit was not healthy, and dividends were cancelled by CCL (and RCL) as a safety measure.

The Big M what do you think of RCL's new Loyalty additions for its Crown and Anchor Members?

The Big M what do you think of RCL's new Loyalty additions for its Crown and Anchor Members?

Personal impression is they're overhyped given the effort they put into the announcements ('personal' calls, e-mail messages, blog announcements) compared to the substance of the changes which for most levels wasn't much. At the top level there's a bit more substance to it - though top level benefit losses were significant in the changes last year as well.

'Enhancements' like the number of loyalty staff onboard and priority notification are just fluff really. If you're looking at it from the cruise line's point of view (reason for my quote?) then they're clearly intended to boost profitability.

The thing with loyalty programs is it tends to be more individual - some can make use of and prefer the benefits to others. For me, the total changes are fine as a passenger, but not significant - with the possible exception of the upgrade for top levels which is a clear improvement (depending on how that plays out in practice).

Well I am not a TA Lizzy,

but I was checking out Azamara Cruises web site today and this cruise stood out...price wise.

Its on the cruise lines site so I think its OK to put up here.

Any one interested could go to the TA of their choice,

if the price still applies of course.

Only down side ,you dont get many ports of call but it looks like a great price...

and it came up in Au dollars...:eek:

dependant on the air costs to Dubai and from Singapore.

You could do a great pre cruise stay in Dubai and then fly home for Christmas.

12 Night Dubai To Singapore Cruise on board Azamara Quest

Destination: Asia. Prices starting from 3,359.00 AUD on 09-Dec-2010

Cruise Ports: Dubai, United Arab Emirates; Mumbai (Bombay), India; Cochin, India; Phuket, Thailand; Singapore

Prices from per person :

Inside..SOLD OUT ............ Ocean View ..SOLD OUT

Veranda ..3,359.00 AUD..... Suite .. 4,719.00 AUD

Personal impression is they're overhyped given the effort they put into the announcements ('personal' calls, e-mail messages, blog announcements) compared to the substance of the changes which for most levels wasn't much. At the top level there's a bit more substance to it - though top level benefit losses were significant in the changes last year as well.

'Enhancements' like the number of loyalty staff onboard and priority notification are just fluff really. If you're looking at it from the cruise line's point of view (reason for my quote?) then they're clearly intended to boost profitability.

The thing with loyalty programs is it tends to be more individual - some can make use of and prefer the benefits to others. For me, the total changes are fine as a passenger, but not significant - with the possible exception of the upgrade for top levels which is a clear improvement (depending on how that plays out in practice).

Fair comment, but what about shareholders and these new loyalty changes?

Fair comment, but what about shareholders and these new loyalty changes?

There are no changes to shareholders benefits announced so far. What are your thoughts... do you think they are missing out e.g. combinability? Or do you have views on the profitability of the loyalty changes affecting shareholders?

It's been that price for a few weeks now - we have been looking and dreaming, :rolleyes: but although an excellent price, even that is out of our price range!

Yes it seems a pretty good price, and you get 19 days in the UK over Christmas and New Year (not included in the price) between the two cruises.

How nice not having to do a long haul flight as well. Also airfares are always at a premium over the Christmas New Year period.

Yes it seems a pretty good price, and you get 19 days in the UK over Christmas and New Year (not included in the price) between the two cruises

If you booked it , you could start singing

"I'm dreaming of a White Christmas":D

The way that you have answered many questions and your negativity towards booking with overseas TA's.

No offence intended and my opinion only;)

An odd opinion as I haven't been negative towards booking with overseas TAs. Oh well...

Still wondering about Jillybean's thoughts on RCL shareholders and the new loyalty changes?

I see today they are offering the Oriana/Arcadia deal to the UK and return for A$12000 p.p.

This seems very reasonable. Is this a reduced price? I haven't been following the pricing on this cruise.

Wow, that is a good price. Damn work, it always gets in the way! But then again if I didn't work I wouldn't be able to afford these cruises in the first place.

Seriously though, my DH and I were talking about this very cruise about an hour ago and we would book it in the blink of an eye, but it is about 3 or 4 years too early. We want to do the world cruise when we retire and we can't do that for another few years. Bummer!

Jillybean

I see today they are offering the Oriana/Arcadia deal to the UK and return for A$12000 p.p.

This seems very reasonable. Is this a reduced price? I haven't been following the pricing on this cruise.

Yes- it has been at that level of pricing for a while now. We booked it about a month ago.

Who is "they" in your post ?

EDIT - of course there are some additional extras -- about $1000 for insurance and another $1000 for tips.

Barry

Jillybean

Yes- it has been at that level of pricing for a while now. We booked it about a month ago.

Who is "they" in your post ?

EDIT - of course there are some additional extras -- about $1000 for insurance and another $1000 for tips.

Barry

Hi Barry, 'they' are our Sunday newspaper.

If you have a credit card that also offers insurance that's a big saving in itself.

Always interesting when people ask questions of others but refuse to answer themselves.

Are you referring to me The Big I M?

I do like RCL's loyalty program, it has some nice touches i.e. Concierge lounge every evening for Diamond and Diamond Plus and the Breakfast Room for Diamond and Diamond Plus. Yes the upgrades are great too. And the other benefits offered just because you are 'loyal' to RCL.

I think the shareholder benefits are excellent as too. Must say most get back more than they outlay for the shares provided they bought into them well.

Are you referring to me The Big I M?

I do like RCL's loyalty program, it has some nice touches i.e. Concierge lounge every evening for Diamond and Diamond Plus and the Breakfast Room for Diamond and Diamond Plus. Yes the upgrades are great too. And the other benefits offered just because you are 'loyal' to RCL.

I think the shareholder benefits are excellent as too. Must say most get back more than they outlay for the shares provided they bought into them well.

hi Jillybean, can you tell me does Diamond get free laundry and how much free internet.....we have one cruise to get to Diamond

i wonder how RCL benefits compare to princess if you're elite

rkmw

Archived