Vancouver Airport - Early Departure

Syran

My DF and I are on a repo cruise from San Diego to Vancouver this May. Unfortunately, Delta changed my really nice noon departure to a horrific 6:40am morning departure. Does anyone know what a good time to arrive at the airport will be, we are staying at one of the nearby hotels, and just trying to get a feel for what customs and security will be like. I've read everything from 5 hours (somehow, I just don't see 1:40am being realistic) to customs not opening before 5am.

Also, does anyone know what customs/security in YVR is allowing through? I heard that they aren't even allowing most carry-on's through at this time.

Thanks!

I use that flight quite often. I'd get to the airport around 4:30-5 am. YVR just changed their system so you now can check your luggage right from the counter so you don't have to bring it thru customs like you used to. If you could get a USA declaration it will save you some time cause you can have it filled out before you get in line. You go to the counter, get your bags tagged, go thru immigration, then airport security. I'm assuming a whole lot of ships won't be arriving on that same day so you should be fine.

carry ons were banned for a bit during the undies threat but its loosened up a bit.

Check out the CATSA site

http://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/Page.aspx?id=4&pname=Packsmart_JYPense&lang=en

Why don't you call Delta and get the flight changed. We have been able to do this no charge when they have changed the schedule.

No other connections on Delta to Florida. There's just the 6:40a or a 6:30p on alaska air that requires a double connection and a red-eye. They give me a hastle when I try to use the later one since it's not a flight on delta, but one of their code shares. If there was one earlier, but not as early, i'd probably try to push the subject, but I like our arrival time now, just worried about making it to the airport.

I use that flight quite often. I'd get to the airport around 4:30-5 am. YVR just changed their system so you now can check your luggage right from the counter so you don't have to bring it thru customs like you used to. If you could get a USA declaration it will save you some time cause you can have it filled out before you get in line. You go to the counter, get your bags tagged, go thru immigration, then airport security. I'm assuming a whole lot of ships won't be arriving on that same day so you should be fine.

carry ons were banned for a bit during the undies threat but its loosened up a bit.

I'll see if the ship has some extra US declarations. We are actually planning to mail any major purchase we can back while still in Alaska, since we can use Priority Flat Rate boxes.

At YVR we have U.S pre-clearance. This is fantastic because when you land in Florida (if I understand you correctly), you will be treated as a domestic flight. You will be cleared before you leave Vancouver. It's helpful. :)

I also agree with getting to the airport by 4:30 or 5 am. I know it's early, but once you are there and through security, then you can get your coffee and breakfast and breathe a little easier knowing you are already checked in.

Here is the link for the Vancouver airport; there is valuable information there which could help ease your mind.

http://www.yvr.ca/en/Default.aspx

The recommened time of arrival at YVR for an international flight is 2 hrs before flight time. At 0440 you will be waking up the security and customs folks....but better safe than sorry. Normal carryon is now permited. The idea of the getting an Form 6059B customs form on the ship is a great one.

My DF and I are on a repo cruise from San Diego to Vancouver this May. Unfortunately, Delta changed my really nice noon departure to a horrific 6:40am morning departure. Does anyone know what a good time to arrive at the airport will be, we are staying at one of the nearby hotels, and just trying to get a feel for what customs and security will be like. I've read everything from 5 hours (somehow, I just don't see 1:40am being realistic) to customs not opening before 5am.

Also, does anyone know what customs/security in YVR is allowing through? I heard that they aren't even allowing most carry-on's through at this time.

Thanks!

US Customs doesn't open until 5am. If you can self check, and have all your paperwork in order (just need a bag drop), you can arrive at 5. I did that last time I was on the 1st AS flight of the day (0630->SEA)

We are on a 6 a.m. United flight in September from YVR connecting in Chicago to get back to DC. Arriving at 5 when customs opens make me REALLY nervous...can someone tell me the order of business so I know what needs to be/can be done before customs? IE check in, etc.

Thanks,

Melissa

Here is a summary of the procedure right from the YVR site. If you have checked in, checked your luggage and are standing at customs at 5 am you won't have a problem:

Summary

1. Check-in
    • Follow signs to International Terminal, U.S. Departures, Level 3.
      usa_departures.sflb.ashxinternational_terminal_building_globe_flag.sflb.ashx

• At YVR, most passengers travelling to the United States will undergo the entry process in Vancouver, rather than their destination airport, so you must complete your U.S. declaration form prior to check-in.
  • If you haven’t already checked-in online or at one of YVR’s off-site check-in locations, proceed to your airline’s designated check-in counters or kiosks.
  • Learn about your options for checking-in online, at YVR or at other locations

[*]Baggage Drop-Off

• If you don’t have any checked baggage, follow the signs and proceed to the security checkpoint.

passengers_without_checked_baggage.sflb.ashx

• If you do have checked baggage, proceed to the baggage drop-off area.
  • Have your paper or electronic boarding pass ready to produce and drop-off your bags on the baggage belts designated for regular and oversized baggage.

[*]Security Checkpoint

• Proceed to the security checkpoint.
  • For information on the pre-board screening process including packing tips and a list of permitted and non-permitted items, see the Security section.

[*]U.S. Customs & Border Protection

• Have your U.S. Customs declaration form filled-out and ready to present along with required travel documents. See Customs & Immigration section for details on required documentation and forms.
  • Once you have cleared U.S. Customs & Border Protection, you are considered a U.S. domestic passenger and will not be able to return to the public areas of the airport.

[*]Find Your Gate

• Follow the signs to your designated boarding gate. Confirm your assigned gate and time for boarding on the information display screens.

• 1 month later...
Here is a summary of the procedure right from the YVR site. If you have checked in, checked your luggage and are standing at customs at 5 am you won't have a problem:

Summary

1. Check-in
    • Follow signs to International Terminal, U.S. Departures, Level 3.
      usa_departures.sflb.ashxinternational_terminal_building_globe_flag.sflb.ashx

• At YVR, most passengers travelling to the United States will undergo the entry process in Vancouver, rather than their destination airport, so you must complete your U.S. declaration form prior to check-in.
  • If you haven’t already checked-in online or at one of YVR’s off-site check-in locations, proceed to your airline’s designated check-in counters or kiosks.
  • Learn about your options for checking-in online, at YVR or at other locations

[*]Baggage Drop-Off

• If you don’t have any checked baggage, follow the signs and proceed to the security checkpoint.

passengers_without_checked_baggage.sflb.ashx

• If you do have checked baggage, proceed to the baggage drop-off area.
  • Have your paper or electronic boarding pass ready to produce and drop-off your bags on the baggage belts designated for regular and oversized baggage.

[*]Security Checkpoint

• Proceed to the security checkpoint.
  • For information on the pre-board screening process including packing tips and a list of permitted and non-permitted items, see the Security section.

[*]U.S. Customs & Border Protection

• Have your U.S. Customs declaration form filled-out and ready to present along with required travel documents. See Customs & Immigration section for details on required documentation and forms.
  • Once you have cleared U.S. Customs & Border Protection, you are considered a U.S. domestic passenger and will not be able to return to the public areas of the airport.

[*]Find Your Gate

• Follow the signs to your designated boarding gate. Confirm your assigned gate and time for boarding on the information display screens.

Customs was opening as of 4:30am this morning. Madfe it through okay, although security nabbed me for having a screwdriver in my backpack that managed to make it through Tampa security.

Archived