Why no garment bags?????

grenouille

From HAL brochure and website:

"Holland America .... cautions against the use of garment bags with hanger hooks protruding from the top."

My question: are they discouraging the use of ALL garment bags, or just those with the protruding hanger? and why would they recommend this- last I checked, garment bags were fine with the airlines....

Our garment bag has a hook, but it can be tucked away during travel...

What to do, what to do....

Hoping to get this issue resolved, as we leave in 3 days!!!

Thanks!

From HAL brochure and website:

"Holland America .... cautions against the use of garment bags with hanger hooks protruding from the top."

It's exactly as it states- garment bags WITH HANGER HOOKS PROTRUDING. They easily snag on other luggage and cause all kinds of havoc when luggage is piled up.

Nothing is said about garment bags with no hangars protruding and they are fine. Let's not create a problem that doesn't exist or isn't even suggested by HAL.

I figure they're talking about the inexpensive plactic or cloth garment bags like you sometimes get when you buy a new suit not the standard piece of luggage (2 or 3 suiter). I can see why they'd be concerned about the first with the hooks of the hangers poking out and getting hung up on other folks luggage or the equipment. I think if you're using Samsonite, or whatever brand of luggage, you've got no problem. At least with the two we have there's no way that the internal hook can be left outside of the bag when it's closed.....neither of them will zip shut unless the hook is tucked inside. On both pieces it can't just flop out on its own unless the bag get destroyed by the airline or cruiseline.

We have used two old fashioned garment bags for at least 30-years. They do have hangers on the outside that can be tucked down and snapped in place when traveling. Never had a problem with these and they are heavy-duty. Also hold about twelve garments each. When these go I will be lost as they don't even make them anymore.

By the way, we have taken at least one of them on over 70 cruises with HAL.

I bring a soft-sided Lucas garment bag on every cruise. One was destroyed last year by the airlines. I have two left and, like Liz, will be soooo upset when those are finished. They hold a ton of clothes and I love those bags. Never any problem with checking them either on airlines or cruiseships.

I see no problem with the type of garment bag S7S describes. It's those flimsy, thin ones that tear easily and don't provide much protection for your clothes. Many older garment bags don't have hangars at all. Your own hangars just protrude through the top once you zip them up. Those are the ones that are not recommended by cruise or air lines.

We never leave our garment bag with anyone. We carry it on to the ship ourselves together with our carry on luggage hence there is no problem with hooks etc. snagging other luggage.

The hooks are needed as the garment bag is hung in the aircraft by the flight attendants when we travel.

Jennie

Archived