Help ... i don't want to miss

wines60

the Panama rolls! :D We're on the Apr 20 PC transit. We're on Deck 6, and I'm told if we go all the way forward we can access that deck. Will I miss out if that is where we watch the entrance? or would I be better off somewhere else?

I was out on the bow on the Amsterdam when we approached the locks at Gatun. It took a couple of hours to get through the locks. They served coffee and Panama buns on the bow. I think others might have had them elsewhere also but I am not too sure about Deck 6 or 5. They open the bow for passengers to observe the locks. It was a great trip!!!

I think they generally have them on all of the open decks for a certain amount of time. I'm partial to being out of the bow myself. The Panama Canal is an amazing cruise....one that I've done many times and will do again.

The Panama buns will also be in the Lido -- and they usually set up a couple of stations for coffee and the buns on the Promenade Deck as well -- and in the Crow's Nest.

Please tell me what Panama buns are. :)

Here is the recipe I got from HAL:

Panama Roll dough:

1 pound all purpose flour

10 grams salt (5 teaspoons)

37.5 grams sugar (2 & 1/2 tablespoons)

10 grams instant yeast (5 teaspoons)

37.5 grams butter (2 & 1/2 tablespoons)

1 egg

1/4 liter milk (1/2 cup)

Mix all ingredients together.

Filling:

Custard Cream:

3/4 liters of milk (make sure you boil the milk) (1 & 1/2 cups)

1 Mandarin orange -- cut into 1/2 inch bits

1/4 kilo sugar (1 & 1/3 cups)

125 grams cornstarch (8 & 2/3 tablespoons)

3 egg yolks

Mix sugar, cornstarch and egg yolks first before mixing with the boiled milk. Add the mandarin orange bits.

Topping: Streusel (The Zuiderdam is the only ship where the buns had a topping) - Optional

1/2 pound flour

1/4 pound butter

1/4 pound sugar

Mix all the ingredients together.

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Flatten the dough using a rolling pin then cut into 4 inch squares and put the filling into the center of each square (about 1 heaping teaspoon). Fold the dough over the filling 4 times. Cover the outside with egg wash. Place on cooky sheets. If you are using the streusel, now is the time to top the buns with it.

Let rest for 25 minutes at room temperature.

Bake for 10 minutes -- serve warm.

Makes about 2 dozen.

Conversions by IRL_Joanie

NOTE from Krazy Kruizers: On all the Panama cruises that we have been on -- both full transits and partials we have had the Panama Rolls/Buns that have the cream and mandarin oranges in them.

On our recent Zuiderdam cruises they had them in one of the cooking demonstrations. Sadly they gave the recipe in grams, liters, etc. Cruise Critic Member: Krazy Kruizers

The Bow was open on the Zuiderdam last Sept Panama Canal transit. Panama Buns and other goodies were available at specific locations on the ship.

Heard rumors of short tempers with some attempting to get a better view.

We found one of the neatest places was on the Promanade deck while going through the canal and watching the "Mules" keep the ship taught.

Last Sept, the Capt on the Zuiderdam told us that each transit through the Panama Canal cost $600,000 each way!! wow..thats a lot of $$!

I didn't check all of the conversions in this but the salt caught my eye. I think 5 teaspons of salt would equal 30 grams, not the required 10.

From about.com: http://nutrition.about.com/od/askyournutritionist/f/gramconversion.htm

There is no real universal formula for converting grams to teaspoons that will work for all ingredients. This is because grams measure weight and teaspoons measure volume. A teaspoon of sugar weight 4.2 grams while a teaspoon of salt weighs six grams. A teaspoon of dried parsley only weighs 0.5 gram.

Here is the recipe I got from HAL:

Panama Roll dough:

1 pound all purpose flour

10 grams salt (5 teaspoons)

37.5 grams sugar (2 & 1/2 tablespoons)

10 grams instant yeast (5 teaspoons)

37.5 grams butter (2 & 1/2 tablespoons)

1 egg

1/4 liter milk (1/2 cup)

Mix all ingredients together.

Filling:

Custard Cream:

3/4 liters of milk (make sure you boil the milk) (1 & 1/2 cups)

1 Mandarin orange -- cut into 1/2 inch bits

1/4 kilo sugar (1 & 1/3 cups)

125 grams cornstarch (8 & 2/3 tablespoons)

3 egg yolks

Mix sugar, cornstarch and egg yolks first before mixing with the boiled milk. Add the mandarin orange bits.

Topping: Streusel (The Zuiderdam is the only ship where the buns had a topping) - Optional

1/2 pound flour

1/4 pound butter

1/4 pound sugar

Mix all the ingredients together.

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Flatten the dough using a rolling pin then cut into 4 inch squares and put the filling into the center of each square (about 1 heaping teaspoon). Fold the dough over the filling 4 times. Cover the outside with egg wash. Place on cooky sheets. If you are using the streusel, now is the time to top the buns with it.

Let rest for 25 minutes at room temperature.

Bake for 10 minutes -- serve warm.

Makes about 2 dozen.

Conversions by IRL_Joanie

NOTE from Krazy Kruizers: On all the Panama cruises that we have been on -- both full transits and partials we have had the Panama Rolls/Buns that have the cream and mandarin oranges in them.

On our recent Zuiderdam cruises they had them in one of the cooking demonstrations. Sadly they gave the recipe in grams, liters, etc. Cruise Critic Member: Krazy Kruizers

the Panama rolls! :D

Yes, Deck 6 all the way forward should be fine.

Our first trip to the canal we got up real early and tried to make the main bow but it was already solid people. Then it started raining and then there was plenty space. LOL

This was before the rain.

We're on deck 7 on that's where we will be this time.

This will be our first trip all the way through the canal, the first time we turned around in the lake.

I believe the Panama rolls are on most decks...

But we wasn't all that impressed with them.

Enjoy, we're looking forward to this cruise.

Archived