Cancel the Star to Alaska?

RJAM3

Hi

We are booked on the Star for Sept. 11th. Full ocean view room. We did the Alaskan cruise years ago with an inside and I spent a lot of time in Spinikers only for the view. Now that Spinikers is gone will I regret not changing to Princess since I cannot afford a balcony? Any thoughts since the remodel? Thanks and thanks again!

Have been on the Star twice and the Spinnaker Lounge was a premium viewing place esepcialy for a Panama Canal Cruise. We were on the Pearl for an Alaska Cruise and the Spinnaker Lounge was a very special place for those not having a balcony. I am sure there are other places you can find to enjoy the spectacular views on your cruise, but I am very sorry the Star did away with the "original Spinnaker" to add more cabins. Have not cruised Priness so cannot give information about whether that would be a better choice.

Hi Thanks for the reply!

Probably going to chang to Princess. It would a bad deal to go back to Alaska and not be able to have a view without purchasing the balcony. Thanks for the input!:)

The Star has been my favorite ship in the NCL fleet. However, I just can't imagine it, especially in Alaska, without the original "Spinnakers". If I wasn't in a balcony, I'd wouldn't book the Star to Alaska at this time. To many days are rainy and cold. I think the "Star Bar" is going to become a very popular place and it isn't very big. I can see buffet seats for eating becoming even harder to find as well. It will be interesting to see how it fares this summer. Full disclosure: I have not been on the Star since the changes were made. I could be totally wrong.

Jingle

Thanks, I am going to cancel and go on the Princes. We are booked in a full view stateroom. Maybe they will have a deal where they offer an upgrade to a balcony. Thank you all for your help!:eek:

I've been on the Star since the remodel, and I have to say I think you made a good choice switching, assuming Princess has an inside viewing area. I am very disappointed in the decision to move Spinnikers to the back of the ship and have high end suites in its place in the front. There was nothing like the view from the front of the ship and it will be missed on the Alaskan cruise as it can get very cold up top.

Bummer! I have sailed the Star pre refit and will again May 1 Alaska..also booked inside as we volume cruise as well...I will greatly miss the Spinaker...where else is reccomended for viewing?

I'd recommend the Star Bar. But it isn't very big and will be very crowed if the rain is out. Good luck.

We were on the Star after the remodel and that was our main complaint. The first day out of LA and last day back was very cool and it would have been nice to relax in the lounge and watch the ship make it's way. Instead people were huddled in the window seats and in the buffet. In a warmer climate I guess it will work and truly being outside to see much of the glaciers is perfect but to be out there for maybe hours at a time instead of viewing from inside in a beautiful heated lounge makes little sense to me.

I'd recommend the Star Bar. But it isn't very big and will be very crowed if the rain is out. Good luck.

From what I've read here and from what I've experienced on other NCL ships, the Star Bar is a private "concierge"lounge during the day for full suite guests and requires key card entry. There are games, TV, and, of course, great viewing (especially now that Spinnakers is gone).

I've booked my father on the Star this summer and purposely chose a balcony given the itinerary. Once I read about Spinnakers being moved, it made the decision a "must".

Would imagine the Garden Cafe is going to turn into a viewing platform as well as the buffet.:eek:

From what I've read here and from what I've experienced on other NCL ships' date=' the Star Bar is a private "concierge"lounge during the day for full suite guests and requires key card entry. There are games, TV, and, of course, great viewing (especially now that Spinnakers is gone).

I've booked my father on the Star this summer and purposely chose a balcony given the itinerary. Once I read about Spinnakers being moved, it made the decision a "must".

Would imagine the Garden Cafe is going to turn into a viewing platform as well as the buffet.:eek:[/quote']

The Star Bar has always been a private Concierge lounge during the day on the cruises we have sailed on, with the exception of maybe when we sailed the Sun and I don't think NCL had a Concierge lounge back then. They have ever cruise since though. To my memory, that is where the Concierge hangs out during the day and usually has an actual desk in there.

• 4 weeks later...
In my opinion, viewing Alaska scenery from inside is like seeing it on TV. Get outside!!

thank you. THAT makes very much sense, and probably why on this last cruise, I was glued to outside decks and then my balcony :D I felt frustrated if I had to go inside for anything LOL

From what I've read here and from what I've experienced on other NCL ships' date=' the Star Bar is a private "concierge"lounge during the day for full suite guests and requires key card entry. There are games, TV, and, of course, great viewing (especially now that Spinnakers is gone).

Would imagine the Garden Cafe is going to turn into a viewing platform as well as the buffet.:eek:[/quote']

On the Pearl during Glacier Bay.....tons of people not eating were sitting at tables outside the Garden Cafe. I think the staff should have made them move...they weren't eating :mad: :mad:

Archived