P&O Australia cruise after Royal or Princess? Can anyone give me a comparison?

Ausgirl

Any observations on what the differences are or if P&O is as good (or nearly as good)?

We have done a cruise on Rhapsody and loved it, and if we were to do another cruise next year it may have to be in June/July next year but the only ships around at that time of year (in Australia) are the P&O ones - Pacific Dawn, Sun and Jewel.

I have heard that RC ships are 4 star while P&O are 3 star and that the P&O ships just don't measure up. I have also read some good reviews of Pacific Dawn but don't know if these are by people who have only sailed P&O and have nothing to compare to, or if they really are still good ships.

This is really to help us decide whether to consider a P&O cruise, or save our money till we can can go further afield and do a different line, or cruise on Princess or Royal in the summer season at a later stage.

If anyone could shed some light I would really appreciate it.

We have sailed on Sun Princess twice, Coral Princess once and Pacific Dawn once.

We love sun princess for sentimental reasons. Coral Princess is WOW!!!!! Can not fault anything with her, service, amenities, food etc - amazing.

When we sailed on Pacific Dawn we had already sailed on Sun Princess so were comparing her to the Sun. Doesn't come close. We didn't like the layout, there was no bling like the sun princess. The food was ordinary and the service was poor. However, having said that we put all that down to the fact that it was a 2 nighter and the staff just don't put the energy into giving good service IMHO.

We just did a 2 nighter on the Sun Princess and found that the food and service was just as good as our 12 nighter on her last year. We were impressed! I suppose because we weren't expecting good service on a 2 dayer after our experience on the Pacific Dawn.

We will be doing a 2 nighter on Pacific Sun in September so we are not expecting a great deal on that trip, but it is still a few nights away and the price is right. Can't complain.

We will be on the Diamond next year, and from all accounts she is a beautiful ship like the Coral.

P & O is not Royal Caribbean or Princess. Just go in with a positive attitude and remember any cruise is better than none.

I agree, Eileen. Just be positive Ausgirl - it is what you make of it to a large extent. I was talking to friends yesterday. They are going on the P Dawn in a week or so - to my surprise they didn't choose Rhapsody because they had heard bad reports of it. (For my part I have heard only good reports of it.) Incidentally, we had a wonderful time (and NO complaintes) on the Pac Dawn on our NZ cruise - after reading good and bad reviews of it. Mind you, I am expecting a different scene on our next PD cruise to the islands. :D

i think if p&o gave the same benefits as princess it might be ok but when you have cruised so many times with princess and you get nothing back in return cruising with p&o.....princess have the best perks going and they dont mind you bringing on alcohol

rkmw

Hmmm - interesting replies - thanks for those so far.

Eileen - you definitely make some good points, I have to be careful also, as I am hooked on cruising and happy to go on anything - my hubby not so much. I reckon if he goes on a cruise that is not that great, it will be a long time before I am able to convince him to cruise again.

Also P&O are the same price as the other lines, and if I'm not that keen on them I'm wondering whether we should do a land trip in July next year instead (maybe Port Douglas...) and wait until a later date to do another cruise on a nicer line.

It's great that you can hop on a 2 nighter from Brisbane, from Melbourne there is not much choice for short trips without having to fly to brisbane or Sydney.

Sandy, you seem to be a fan (given that you have booked 3 cruises on PD) I have only done Rhapsody and it was so wonderful I don't want to be disappointed on my next cruise. I am sure Pacific Dawn/Sun have some good points but it does seem those that have done other lines seem to find P&O lacking.

Thanks for the advice...

Caron

Hi Caron, we booked Pacific Dawn because it was leaving from Brisbane and was doing the NZ cruise. That was the chief reason. (My P&O experiences years ago were all good, but I realise that cruising is different these days.)

I really, really hate flying, and having to go to the trouble of getting to Sydney and booking hotels and taxis is just another hassle I will get out of if I can. Luckily for us our cruise experience WAS wonderful. Sure the ship was a bit worn, but it is soon having a refurb which will take care of that. The main thing for us was that our cabin was roomy, beds very comfortable, our hotel staff marvellous, food very good and everything spotlessly clean. There was plenty of good entertainment and friends we made are coming on our next NZ cruise - we don't NEED or want anymore.

Having said that, if ships from other lines are based here, I would love to try them. It's that simple for us. (I don't know about the so-called 5 star ships - I've heard they are rather snobbish. Obviously everyone is different. Whatever you choose I hope both you and your husband have a wonderul time.

We have sailed on RCCL, Princess, P&O, Holland America, Minghua, Princess Marshuri, Star, and Carnival, and many others. In all cases we have enjoyed our cruises, however each ship and experience is different. We always goes with an open mind knowing that each line is different. My advise is to go on any cruise with an open mind and enjoy the experience, and try and not to compare the different ships and cruise lines, which is very hard to do.

Michael

I think cruising with P&O provides people with a great introduction, but you know there is soooooooooo much more to experience on other cruise lines. I would higly recommend P&O , but I would also encourage people to be adventurious and try something new. P&O nice and easy no hastle, Oh unless you by art and decide not to go through with the sale, but that is another story.

Any observations on what the differences are or if P&O is as good (or nearly as good)?

We have done a cruise on Rhapsody and loved it, and if we were to do another cruise next year it may have to be in June/July next year but the only ships around at that time of year (in Australia) are the P&O ones - Pacific Dawn, Sun and Jewel.

I have heard that RC ships are 4 star while P&O are 3 star and that the P&O ships just don't measure up. I have also read some good reviews of Pacific Dawn but don't know if these are by people who have only sailed P&O and have nothing to compare to, or if they really are still good ships.

This is really to help us decide whether to consider a P&O cruise, or save our money till we can can go further afield and do a different line, or cruise on Princess or Royal in the summer season at a later stage.

If anyone could shed some light I would really appreciate it.

You know, what ever cruise you go on you will enjoy, after all it is a taylor made holiday. every night you get the list of activies for the next day and YOU decide what you will do. The whole day could be by the pool, or avoiding the sun and rain by doing indoor activies. Eating and drinking at the sit down resturant or just enjoy the buffet for 3 meals a day. Getting off the ship to experience the ports or stay on board and make new friends. combination of activites are endless, that is why people from 7 - 70 can go on the same ship and each have an age appropriate experience. Read the information provided by the cruise line, look at the board, but the decision should be made because you like the look of the ship, ports and activties.

I suppose it's like anything, you always tend to compare with your first experience.

I am keeping an open mind, and would enjoy any cruise but if I would be paying the same (and occasionally more) with P&O, I'd like to think that I would be getting the same cruising experience. It seems from what I've read that this is not the case. Saying that if P&O was all that worked out at the time, I would gladly go. But if I could go on a better line at another time for the same cost I think it makes sense to wait. I'm happy to go on lines that are different and have new experiences, but wouldn't be happy going on a line for the same cost if it is not the same quality.

Sandy, if leaving from Brisbane is a priority then it's great that you have that option with P&O. And I agree, the so called 5 star ships are probably not what we're looking for either.

Livingstone, you're right, and perhaps it's just me and Rhapsody has spoilt me, although I hear the other bigger RC ships are fabulous.

We have sailed on RCCL, Princess, P&O, Holland America, Minghua, Princess Marshuri, Star, and Carnival, and many others. In all cases we have enjoyed our cruises, however each ship and experience is different. We always goes with an open mind knowing that each line is different. My advise is to go on any cruise with an open mind and enjoy the experience, and try and not to compare the different ships and cruise lines, which is very hard to do.

Michael

I agree with you absolutely. We have sailed on several cruise lines, but not all those you mention. Your advice is superb. I wish more people would have this attitude.

I find that it is the itinerary and weather as well the people you meet who make a cruise either enjoyable or great. The ship isn't the most important factor. That's our opinion anyway. :) If a person is going to go around looking for faults they will find them no matter where they are. This will then spoil their enjoyment of the experience.

The OPs have made a lot of great points. As you can see we've done 7 cruises, 5 with P&O with 3 of them on Pacific Sun. The 2 American ships were amazing as far as decor & little extras like pillow chocs & free room service, but we have loved every one of our cruises. On each of our P&O cruises the cabins have been roomy, beds comfortable, spotlessly clean, food great & service excellent. The activities you choose, the ports itinerary, the people you meet....all these also contribute to the enjoyment of your holiday. You can't really compare the ships because they all have some good & bad points. Just decide you will enjoy whatever cruise you go on.

Thanks so much everyone for your observations, pretty much everyone on this thread advises going on any line with an open mind and a view of enjoying what it has to offer, and I wholeheartedly agree! A cruise is definitely what you make it, the ports you visit, the people you meet etc.

BUT for me its also about the comfort and glamour of the ship, the food, the service, the amenities, the entertainment etc, so humour me here, (and not that I don't appreciate what you have all said) other than Eileen no one has really given me a comparison between P&O ships and other lines in Australia specifically Royal Caribbean and Princess.

Thanks so much everyone for your observations, pretty much everyone on this thread advises going on any line with an open mind and a view of enjoying what it has to offer, and I wholeheartedly agree! A cruise is definitely what you make it, the ports you visit, the people you meet etc.

BUT for me its also about the comfort and glamour of the ship, the food, the service, the amenities, the entertainment etc, so humour me here, (and not that I don't appreciate what you have all said) other than Eileen no one has really given me a comparison between P&O ships and other lines in Australia specifically Royal Caribbean and Princess.

Simply put - Princess and Royal Caribbean ships are more glamourous and glitzy than P & O. Out of the P & O ships, the Jewel is the swishest, followed by Dawn then Sun. I am talking purely about the physical aspects of the ship - not activities, staff or food.

If you are wanting something swish and glamorous with that WOW factor, you might like to look at HAL or Celebrity. I have not cruised with Celebrity but have really enjoyed Holland America Line.

The other big difference is the type of passengers on board.

On P&O Australia you will be be cruising with your fellow countrymen.

On the others , there will still be plenty of locals on board, but you could also expect a large number of North Americans and Brits .

My two favourites are Princess and HAL, especially on some of their longer segments of World or Grand Voyages.

We are in the same boat really as we had our first cruise in January on the Diamond princess and I am now day dreaming of my next cruise. I have been searching the net and looking at local options and it seems crazy expensive to cruise out of Fremantle, I guess they know we are very limited over here. Well I see the prices for cruises and think a few more thousand and we could be cruising in the States. We do have the option of the Sun Princess which is pricey but still apparently better than p&o but we have heard negative reports about the Sun Princess as well. We are a young family with limited time and money for holidays so I want to pick right and if I cruise I want the best we can afford.

We are still undecided whether to book something locally or wait a little longer, save a little harder and head abroad for more choice.

Actually HAL is one that I overlooked, I have heard great reports about their cruises. Would love to do Celebrity - maybe one day when the kids are not with us and we are only paying for two.... hmmm, thinking how many holidays we could do then.

Silverwillow you really are in the same boat (lol) as us and have hit the nail on the head. We too have limited time for holidays and a limited budget considering there are 5 of us, and I want to pick the best we can afford rather than pay the same for something not as good.

Also as David pointed out, the other lines provide more of a mix of cultures which is kind of nice, I enjoyed meeting people from all over the world on Rhapsody and think that adds a different dimension than having only Aussies on a cruise.

Actually HAL is one that I overlooked, I have heard great reports about their cruises. Would love to do Celebrity - maybe one day when the kids are not with us and we are only paying for two.... hmmm, thinking how many holidays we could do then.

Silverwillow you really are in the same boat (lol) as us and have hit the nail on the head. We too have limited time for holidays and a limited budget considering there are 5 of us, and I want to pick the best we can afford rather than pay the same for something not as good.

Also as David pointed out, the other lines provide more of a mix of cultures which is kind of nice, I enjoyed meeting people from all over the world on Rhapsody and think that adds a different dimension than having only Aussies on a cruise.

Hi Ausgirl,

We think exactly the same about the mixture of cultures adding to our cruise experience, it's one of the reasons we don't sail out of Southampton. We have only sailed on RCI ships, but are trying Celebrity Constellation this summer to the Baltics. Next April, we plan to come to Australia and are considering Sun Princess, cruising from Sydney to Freemantle. There appears to be no other ships of any lines cruising over the Easter period around Australia (Rhapsody is scheduled to return to Hawaii)??? As Silverwillow pointed out, there have been a few negative posts for the Sun Princess so we're also in a dilemma as to whether we're making the right choice:confused:.......but the ports do sound amazing places to explore.

Next April, we plan to come to Australia and are considering Sun Princess, cruising from Sydney to Freemantle. There appears to be no other ships of any lines cruising over the Easter period around Australia (Rhapsody is scheduled to return to Hawaii)??? As Silverwillow pointed out, there have been a few negative posts for the Sun Princess so we're also in a dilemma as to whether we're making the right choice:confused:.......but the ports do sound amazing places to explore.

We have cruised on the Sun Princess and think she is gorgeous. The ship is glamourous, the staff, food and entertainment are good. With mainly Aussie passengers she is still relaxed and not snobbish. I wouldn't worry about the occasional negative comment. If someone looks hard enough for things to complain about, they will surely find something.:D I have read negative things about Cunard ships also. :D

Hi Ausgirl,

We think exactly the same about the mixture of cultures adding to our cruise experience, it's one of the reasons we don't sail out of Southampton. We have only sailed on RCI ships, but are trying Celebrity Constellation this summer to the Baltics. Next April, we plan to come to Australia and are considering Sun Princess, cruising from Sydney to Freemantle. There appears to be no other ships of any lines cruising over the Easter period around Australia (Rhapsody is scheduled to return to Hawaii)??? As Silverwillow pointed out, there have been a few negative posts for the Sun Princess so we're also in a dilemma as to whether we're making the right choice:confused:.......but the ports do sound amazing places to explore.

We love the Sun Princess. Very nice little ship. If your budget can stretch to a mini suite it is equivalent to a full suite on all the other princess ships.

You aren't getting confused with the Pacific Sun - a P & O ship are you? The Pacific Sun is a very old ship and is just about ready to retire. I wouldn't suggest coming all this way to sail on her. Sail on Sun Princess.

Having sailed with P&O UK (4*) Princess USA and Australia (4*) RCI USA and Australia (4.5*) but not so many perks. Celebrity (5*) and P&O Austalia (3*) if the prices were the same I would definitely go with one of the others than P&O Australia As Eileen says any cruise is a good cruise but for the same money the whole atmosphere in P&O Australia does not measure up to the other companies in my opinion.

It also does depend on the demographics of the age of the cruisers at any time. School holidays being - for me - a nono

I would take into account the itinerary, the embarkation town and the costs. first Good luck :eek:

There are some very valuable opinions on this thread, thank you so much everyone. It makes my decision a lot easier - as we (hopefully) have many more years to cruise, I will be patient and save for cruises that are exactly what we are looking for.

All of you who have cruises booked, whether on P&O or other lines, I hope you have a wonderful time, how could you not - you'll be on a cruise!!!

Archived