Princess Grill QM2

north east girl

Having booked PG for our next trip on QM2 for the summer getaway next month I was wondering what the members thought of this category and the extra benefits you get in comparison to Britannia category.

I am looking forward to experiencing PG for the first time.

Catherine

Don't even think about it. Princess Grill is steps up to Britannia.

Your cabin will be one and a half times bigger than a Britannia balcony cabin. It will have a longer sofa, much more storage space - including a walk-in-closet - and a larger bath with full tube.

Compared to Britannia Restaurant, Princess Grill restaurant is less dramatic but more intimate. Unlike in Britannia, your table will be exclusively yours for both breakfast, lunch and dinner, and you can go there when you desire, not restricted to early or late sitting for dinner. Even compared to Britannia Club, which similarly offers anytime dining, Princess Grill is more elegant - Britannia Club is just a separated part of Britannia. The great difference of course is the food: the Grills experience is one of the finest in todays' cruise market.

Besides, in my humble opinion at least, it is nice to taste Princess Grill on QM2 rather than on Queen Victoria. Its cabins are brighter, with more glass space to look outside, and have a larger balcony than on QV. Even they have the same size, the latter's cabins are narrower, resembling somewhat to longer Britannia balcony cabins. They are of the Princess Cruises Junior Suites style, while QM2 follows here the Holland America Vista Class Verandah Suites.

Last, Princess Grill is a smart option compared even to Queens Grill. It offers many similar amenities at a much lower cost.

So, Catherine, enjoy. You are on to a great cruise experience.

That is interesting. Are you saying that you prefer PG on QM2 more than PG on QV?

My understanding is that the Grills are better on QV because they have a proper separate area with restaurants that have excellent views and the option of dining in the Courtyard compared to the Grills restaurants on QM2 which look out onto the promenade, i.e. with people outside pearing in.

I had assumed that the PG staterooms were similar on both ships.

That is interesting. Are you saying that you prefer PG on QM2 more than PG on QV?

My understanding is that the Grills are better on QV because they have a proper separate area with restaurants that have excellent views and the option of dining in the Courtyard compared to the Grills restaurants on QM2 which look out onto the promenade, i.e. with people outside pearing in.

I had assumed that the PG staterooms were similar on both ships.

As I said, it is just personal preference. For me cabin matters a lot, sometimes more than restaurant.

The PG staterooms are not the same on both ships. They have roughly the same size, but those of QV are narrower and longer than those of QM2. They have the same width as a Britannia balcony cabin.

Although Queen Victoria is considered a Vista Class ship, it seems that her designers chose the Princess Cruises standard here because they wanted to create more balcony cabins overall: its Junior Suites are narrower. Actually, in order to create extra balcony cabins they sacrificed the outside glass elevators that adorn the Holland America Vistas. They followed the Spirit Class type, which also offered the extra length that these suites need. Brilliant move economically, but QM2 PG cabins have more glass surface and larger balcony, resulting to a spacious feeling.

Of course the unobstructed views of QV Grill restaurants and their outside area/Courtyard are wonderful. Their only setback is that they are on the 11th Deck (even if midships), more exposed to pitching and rolling, while those of QM2 are on the 8th. But as I said, it is just a matter of personal preferences: cabin matters for me more than restaurant here.

Thanks for your reply Robert, I'm looking forward to the larger cabin, bath and walkin wardrobe.

I have been on QM2 last year on a TA in a inhull balcony, which was our first ever trip at sea. I did enjoy the whole experience.

Never thought we would ever go in PG. Then I saw the good price and managed to persuade my husband to go for it. It is a 5 day weekend break.

I know we are allowed to go in the queens grill lounge. Is the grills deck open to PG passengers? Is there anything else I need to know?

We plan to arrive at Southampton at 12 noon as advised on our booking. What time can we expect to board?

Mind you if I really like it I might have to upgrade our September booking from B3 if the price is right.

Catherine

Yes you can use the Grills deck we loved it up there.

We also prefer the Pg rooms on the Qm2 compared to Victoria as the rooms are bigger as are the balcony.

Enjoy, we upgraded from a B2 to a P2 on are last Transatlantic and are not sure if we could now go back to another Non grill room.

Enjoy.

Grills guests with others have priority boarding, seperate check in and waiting area. Order off menu for those extra special dishes.

On the QE2 the Princess Grill was fantastic with nothing to much trouble.

Have a wonderful trip.

Fred.

Grills guests with others have priority boarding, seperate check in and waiting area. Order off menu for those extra special dishes.

On the QE2 the Princess Grill was fantastic with nothing to much trouble.

Have a wonderful trip.

Fred.

Thanks hansol1966, did not realise there was a separate waiting area.

Catherine

Yes you can use the Grills deck we loved it up there.

We also prefer the Pg rooms on the Qm2 compared to Victoria as the rooms are bigger as are the balcony.

Enjoy, we upgraded from a B2 to a P2 on are last Transatlantic and are not sure if we could now go back to another Non grill room.

Enjoy.

Thanks transatlantic fan, How big is the space on the grills deck? Does it get used for sailaway?

Catherine

Thanks transatlantic fan, How big is the space on the grills deck? Does it get used for sailaway?

Catherine

This photo shows the depth of the Grills Terrace, I don't have a tasteful photo that shows the width. We were always able to find 3 chairs together on our last trip, and we spent a great deal of time there. Even on windy days you can find a sheltered spot, and the view from the hot tub is wonderful!

P1090296.jpg

People do watch the sailaway from there, but there are opaque glass windows that obscure the view. I still prefer deck 8 aft!

This photo shows the depth of the Grills Terrace, I don't have a tasteful photo that shows the width. We were always able to find 3 chairs together on our last trip, and we spent a great deal of time there. Even on windy days you can find a sheltered spot, and the view from the hot tub is wonderful!

P1090296.jpg

People do watch the sailaway from there, but there are opaque glass windows that obscure the view. I still prefer deck 8 aft!

Thanks safarigal, the deck looks very nice, I thought it would be tiny. Will be spending some time up here.

Just 5 weeks to wait, I'm getting really excited.

Catherine

I'm just a bit confused about the eating arrangements in PG, they say that there is no set time and that we have the same table for all meals, does that mean that each table is for two, because if they are any bigger wouldn't you run the risk of arriving just as your companions are ordering dessert?

I'm just a bit confused about the eating arrangements in PG, they say that there is no set time and that we have the same table for all meals, does that mean that each table is for two, because if they are any bigger wouldn't you run the risk of arriving just as your companions are ordering dessert?

Tables vary from two upwards. Remember not everyone travels in a couple. But you'll also find on the larger tables that people tend to fall into a common routine. I have always had a large table when travelling alone, and a two top when with my wife. Suits us that way. But normally the large table is fine.

The waiters are also very skilled at getting people to finish together, providing there isn't too much variation between starting times!

There are lots of tables for four and for six in the Grills. Un-synchronized arrival times at a table for six (our favorite) cause much less of a problem than you might imagine; folks who enjoy each other's conversation tend to linger and leave at about the same time, regardless of who arrived first. And not arriving first gives you the benefit of the early arrivals' opinion of the courses they have already begun.

That's right, you run this risk. :)

You are free to choose whatever table size you want, not only for two. If your companions have already started eating, you will be served irrespectively of the progress of their meal.

Some people arrange with their companions to eat at the same time. But this is just voluntary, by no means obligatory.

Having booked PG for our next trip on QM2 for the summer getaway next month I was wondering what the members thought of this category and the extra benefits you get in comparison to Britannia category.

I am looking forward to experiencing PG for the first time.

Catherine

We did a P-1(last Jan.)We're trying a Queens suite this time. Yes, you'll find the food a definate step up. Caviar, however is offered only free on one night. In Queens Grill, you can get it anytime. Ordering off menu is also a little harder to do in Princess class. The brochure that comes to you about the Grills states "If you don't see an item,just ask & a delicious meal will be prepared just for you" It might be a good idea to bring that brochure along to show it to them, in case they hesitate a bit. The only thing missing is the "complimentary" part. In Queens Grill there is no extra cost, Princess grill, I'm not so sure. The Grills terrace is a wonderful spot to relax. They will ask to see your room card that first visit(to make sure you're really in a Grill suite)I watched quite a few get the boot! The French were the worst(according to the terrace attendent). They feel they're entitled to go anywhere. She almost had to get security to remove them. It was rather amusing to see. The Princess restaurant is definately a bit more intimate. With about 20 seats less, it has a more cozy feel. We had a tour of both restaurants a few years back to check them out. I actually wouldn't mind paying a "supplemental" fee to get all the offerings the Queens menu offers. It would be easy to have an "additional charge" menu

along with the standard menu. Since both are serviced by the same galley, this would be easy to do.

We have been in both Brittania Club and PG...like the Grille bar/lounge for scones & tea and for cocktails and special musical performances during the TA..spacious dining room...the best part are the cabins....much storage...walk in closet was wonderful...deck 9 has another lounge and Concierge service for QG & PG plus grille paxs zip thru check in and disembarkation....cool! Enjoy!:)

We have been in both Brittania Club and PG...like the Grille bar/lounge for scones & tea and for cocktails and special musical performances during the TA..spacious dining room...the best part are the cabins....much storage...walk in closet was wonderful...deck 9 has another lounge and Concierge service for QG & PG plus grille paxs zip thru check in and disembarkation....cool! Enjoy!:)

Thanks at sea days, looking forward to the PG experience. We are going to have afternoon tea for sure.

My favorite martini from our TA last year was the chocolate one. Have tried to replicate the same at home, they just don't taste the same. So will have a few whilst on board.

Catherine

We did a P-1(last Jan.)We're trying a Queens suite this time. Yes, you'll find the food a definate step up. Caviar, however is offered only free on one night. In Queens Grill, you can get it anytime. Ordering off menu is also a little harder to do in Princess class. The brochure that comes to you about the Grills states "If you don't see an item,just ask & a delicious meal will be prepared just for you" It might be a good idea to bring that brochure along to show it to them, in case they hesitate a bit. The only thing missing is the "complimentary" part. In Queens Grill there is no extra cost, Princess grill, I'm not so sure. The Grills terrace is a wonderful spot to relax. They will ask to see your room card that first visit(to make sure you're really in a Grill suite)I watched quite a few get the boot! The French were the worst(according to the terrace attendent). They feel they're entitled to go anywhere. She almost had to get security to remove them. It was rather amusing to see. The Princess restaurant is definately a bit more intimate. With about 20 seats less, it has a more cozy feel. We had a tour of both restaurants a few years back to check them out. I actually wouldn't mind paying a "supplemental" fee to get all the offerings the Queens menu offers. It would be easy to have an "additional charge" menu

along with the standard menu. Since both are serviced by the same galley, this would be easy to do.

Thanks keithm, will be using the grills deck, although we have 3 ports of call. We intend to really enjoy the QM2 and all the princess grill has to offer.

I must admit I do like to treat myself, having a princess grill cabin is a definate treat to me.

Catherine

We never had a problem ordering something special in the Princess Grill. The Maitre'd even asked every day if there was anything else we would like.

We also asked for caviar on several occasions, never a charge.

"My favorite martini from our TA last year was the chocolate one. Have tried to replicate the same at home, they just don't taste the same. So will have a few whilst on board."

Catherine - is that the Milky Way? My very favourite. Agree, not the same at home - I need a QM2 bar person! ;)

So glad you've booked this trip, sounds wonderful. We're currently discussing my birthday next year, and QM2 is still coming top of the list. Have a wonderful time. Boo.

Catherine you will love the PG & might not be able to go back to non-Grills ;)

The PG rooms do have a nicer, bigger balcony on QM2 with lovely teak steamers, but if you get the chance to go in PG on QV do it! She is a lovely ship & the Grills set up is wonderful.

We always book a PG guarantee because we know we will love it. We have had a few upgrades to QG, but we are always happy with PG. You will be spoilt :D

Enjoy!

Sharon

Archived