how long to get passport?

MamaParrotHead

It depends on whether you are renewing your passport, applying for your first passport, whether the person applying for a passport is under 16 and how busy your local passport agency is.

I just got my daughter a passport. I had to put a rush on it because it was for a minor (you have to go in person with both parents or proof that you have sole custody such as a court order if divorced), our local passport office (SF) was backed up and the wait was 8 weeks and we were right at the 6 week mark for traveling. With the rush (pricey $140 = 40 application $100 rush) I received it within 1 1/2 weeks.

A co-worker hired a company to re-new his passport as he was traveling the following week and they got it processed through the passport office and to him in 2 days (via fed ex delivery) for a fee.

Mama.

I just renewed my passport and had it back in 3 weeks. My husband went to the Post Office just after Christmas to apply for a new passport and he had his back in 2 weeks.

I was worried about the 6 weeks because it would have been right at our sail date and when I called they said..."6 weeks, mid February" but I got it a week after that call!

Unfortunately I had procrastinated instead of doing it earlier and it caused me to worry...will I ever learn? But all is good and we leave for Miami in two weeks!

Timing also depends on the time of year. My friend at work just applied and got hers last week, took only 10 days.

When we applied last June, it took 8 weeks to the day to get ours (they came in 5 days before we were departing I was really sweating that one!) because summertime a lot of people go on vacation, and they get backed up.

Best bet though is to get it done as soon as possible. It's really a painless process, you can download the forms and fill them out in advance. Just bring your ID to the location, get it filed, most of them even take the pictures right there.

Last January our new passports took three weeks. I just took my daughters in to get theirs and he said six weeks. I mentioned that our was less than that and he told me they have to say 6 weeks to cover themselves. He rarely hears of them taking longer than 3 weeks.

(Unless, of course, they find some sort of reason to investigate you, in which case it will take longer for the FBI to bug your phones and tail you to around town. ;) )

I received my passport in less than 24 hours by going to a Regional Passport Agency. All I had to do was make an appointment and have proof of when i was traveling. My passport arrived via fedex the next morning.

The US Department of State has a passport website with all the information (and printable forms) you could ever need. Be sure to read their warning against paying companies to make appointments or rush passport applications for you.

The website is http://travel.state.gov/passport

I know, the documents say, "up to 6 weeks", but I've heard it can be sooner. Anyone apply for one recently and how long did it take until you received it? just looking to get every little thing checked off my "to do list" as I can.

thanks.

Even if your documents took the full 6 weeks (42 days), you'd still have 68 days until your cruise - unless you are planning on sending in your application at the very last moment.

I just got my passport in the mail (it took 3 weeks). Hopefully my husband's will come in the mail today. I will be getting my kids their passport this week.

I think it will be alot easier to travel with a passport than carry around all the other paperwork.

If you're close to DC, you can go straight to the passport office, at the State Dept and get it really quickly. I have a friend who needed one for her 1 yr old daughter and she got it the same day. I'm getting ready to reapply for mine, since my original one expired in 1987 (5 yr passports then) and from what I've heard even through the post office it usually takes less than 3 weeks. Anyway, since mine has expired so long ago, it costs more and I have to totally reapply like I would for a new one. I'd suggest always renewing as soon as your old one expires, it's a lot easier and cheaper. Our local post office has hours of 10-2 for passports and they even take your photos there so it's one stop. I like the idea of carrying just the passport, rather than my birth certificate which can be harder to replace. We're going on our first cruise in Nov.

ok. Iknow that you have to have both parents their for the child to get one.....But what if the father has abandoned the child we have not seen or heard form my sons father in about 6 years and have no clue where he is.

Check the website for official stand on it, but you'd probably have to have some legal documentation of that.

Archived