how long to get passport?

MamaParrotHead

I'd contact your local passport office to be sure. I know that for my Grandma's name being different from her birth certificate, her brother and sister-in-law have to go with her and sign an affadavit stating that they knew her as Sarah and Sally. It might be the same situation here.

ssatterly - I was in exactly the SAME position you were... on the "Statement of Consent" form there is a place where you can explain your situation... (item 4b)... you could try that. I wasn't willing to play that game... so instead I went through the court system. If you want more information - email me at Littleskatersmom@comcast.net Maybe I can save you the LARGE amount of legal fees I ran up researching this.

For the others... OFFICIALLY a passport takes: 1. mailing time to processing, 2. 20 working days to process, 3. mailing to your home. They say 4-6 weeks to cover their rears... yes, it can take less time... but don't COUNT on it. Mine and my daughters took EXACTLY 4 weeks.

ssatterly - I was in exactly the SAME position you were... on the "Statement of Consent" form there is a place where you can explain your situation... (item 4b)... you could try that. I wasn't willing to play that game... so instead I went through the court system. If you want more information - email me at Littleskatersmom@comcast.net Maybe I can save you the LARGE amount of legal fees I ran up researching this.

For the others... OFFICIALLY a passport takes: 1. mailing time to processing, 2. 20 working days to process, 3. mailing to your home. They say 4-6 weeks to cover their rears... yes, it can take less time... but don't COUNT on it. Mine and my daughters took EXACTLY 4 weeks.

What "game" weren't you willing to play? It's just a place to explain any situation that affects your ability to prove parental consent. There are people who lie to get their kids passports and take them out of the country illegally to steal them from the other parent. Anyone who lies in this section is liable for other federal charges on top of kidnapping. Why'd you say "cover their rears" They're telling the truth, up to 6 weeks, so what's the problem? The passport office tells you 6 weeks. I've applied twice and was told both times 6 weeks. The first one took 4 (1982) and I had called put a rush on it in the summer since I was leaving for Europe on a late planned trip to visit my DH while he was in the Navy. Their port visits were usually not guaranteed so we had to take a risk and plan a trip late. I fully expect to get this one within 6 weeks.

A passport really does take about 6 weeks but if you need one sooner go to http://www.passportasap.com. You can get a passport in as little as 24 hours.

No need to pay a third party for something that is very easy (and probably cheaper) to do yourself. You can request expedited (2-week) service right on the passport application. It costs an additional $60 (plus the costs of overnight shipping both ways).

We did expedited service for my husband before our last cruise. I didn't look at his passport until about 5 1/2 weeks before the cruise and realized it had expired a couple of months earlier. I wasn't comfortable taking our chances with the standard 6-week service so we paid for the expedited service. We overnighted the renewal application and received his new passport in one week, and that was without prepaid overnight return shipping. Has we also sent a prepaid overnight shipping envelope, we would have received it even sooner.

ours came a few days ago, not quite 3 weeks. the strange thing is that it came from the new orleans office, though we're less than a 3 hour drive from chicago. wonder how many offices there are and how they divide up the districts. just curious.

I was wondering the same thing! We are also very close to Chicago but our passports came through New Orleans. Maybe the people who arrange flights for the cruiseline also arrange for passports;) We went to Fort Lauderdale by way of Denver once- I arrange my own air now!

I applied for a new one at my local post office (old one expired in '87) on 1 Feb and received it today, so 16 days (13 business days) from the Washington, DC passport office. They seem to be moving them through fast.

My mother applied for her on January 28 in Las Vegas. She received hers yesterday (one day short of 3 weeks). We applied for our also on January 28 in San Diego. Still have not received our as of yesterdays mail.

I applied for a renewal of mine through a local post office and they took new pictures. Three weeks later a letter came back telling me the pictures were too light and that I had to send in new pictures.....I went back to the same P.O. and they did them again at no cost, but they weren't much darker. So plan plenty of time for a problem like this.... I am not leaving until July so I have no time crunch....just hope they accept the new pics.:(

Archived