Is this appropriate?

I decided I want to be comfortable for formal night and wanted something easily packable. My dress from last year was not comfortable and I was ready to take it off as soon as dinner was over. I want to enjoy myself on formal night instead of counting the time until I can change again. So I found this dress on landsend which I think may work. I wanted some opinions here. If the link above ends up not working, it's under category women's, dresses/skirts, the first dress (women's orginal cotton V-neck).

Thank you for your advice and opinions everyone! I ordered the dress and anxiously await its arrival. I also bought a skirt, mainly for work, but it will work well on the cruise. Now I will have to find some shoes to go with it. I'm thinking some sort of peep-toe pumps.

Bookish Angel, go for it! Lands End clothes fit very nicely.

I decided I want to be comfortable for formal night and wanted something easily packable. My dress from last year was not comfortable and I was ready to take it off as soon as dinner was over. I want to enjoy myself on formal night instead of counting the time until I can change again.

PRETTY dress i bet you will LOOK WONDERFUL in it...nothin worse then spending all the time dressing up and being to uncomfortable to ENJOY...

HOPE it fits WELL and YOU ARE HAPPY with it;)

I decided I want to be comfortable for formal night and wanted something easily packable. My dress from last year was not comfortable and I was ready to take it off as soon as dinner was over. I want to enjoy myself on formal night instead of counting the time until I can change again. So I found this dress on landsend which I think may work. I wanted some opinions here. If the link above ends up not working, it's under category women's, dresses/skirts, the first dress (women's orginal cotton V-neck).

LOVE IT! PERFECT for formal night. It's perfect!!

love the dress, color and cut, but unfortunately, cotton lawn is not a formal fabric and will probably look too casual, even with the formal accessories mentioned above.

I would definately keep it if if fits - it is so pretty - just wear it for smart casual instead.

If cotton lawn isn't a formal fabric, what are the list of formal fabrics? Silk, velvet and satin? Do folks even notice what the fabric is? How often can you wear a formal dress anyway, so wouldn't it be better to get one which could be worn more frequently?

If cotton lawn isn't a formal fabric, what are the list of formal fabrics? Silk, velvet and satin? Do folks even notice what the fabric is? How often can you wear a formal dress anyway, so wouldn't it be better to get one which could be worn more frequently?

Yes, yes and yes, to the fabrics. Also flowing chiffon type fabrics, lace and sequined materials to name some more. Cotton lawn is, unfortunately, not (it might also wrinkle, which is a concern for the OP). And yes, people will notice a cotton dress vs. a more formal fabric. They might not be able to name the fabric, but you can tell formal vs cotton.

In my opinion, if you are buying a 'formal' dress for a formal occasion, then you should buy a formal dress - you can get them for the same price many times, and sometimes better if on sale.

If you are afraid that you won't wear it a lot as the poster above suggested, then get something in black, so that you can wear again. If you just want a dress that you can wear again, that's fine, but it is not necessarily formal wear.

Still love the dress. Our Lands End catalogue came today, and it looks terrific in the print ad. It's just not formal wear. Will that stop you from wearing it on formal night - only you can decide when you have it on if you feel formal enough in it.

Hope it does work out though - it is very pretty, and I love the color.

Its very nice, I agree with the others dress it up with some jewels, strappy heels and a cute clutch purse and you will look stunning!

Yeah it's not a formal fabric, but if I saw a woman in it I certainly wouldnt care if she had on cotton or silk. And actually I have a formal JS Boutique dress that is matte jersey which is a knit so I think the trend in formal fabrics may be changing? Honestly if you love it and it makes you feel good, sexy, or whatever then you should wear it!

love the dress, color and cut, but unfortunately, cotton lawn is not a formal fabric and will probably look too casual, even with the formal accessories mentioned above.

I would definately keep it if if fits - it is so pretty - just wear it for smart casual instead.

I agree.

The OP can "get away" with it, of course. It's a pretty dress. However, if she wants to be dressed formally,(as in a cocktail dress) sparkly jewels aren't going to make it look dressy. It's a very pretty, casual dress.

OP here....

I did get the dress yesterday. I'm on the fence about it as I'm thinking about returning it. It's comfortable yes, but the color is quite pink and the elastic band makes it look more church dress than formal dress. I could dress it up with a sash ribbon around it maybe. I'm going to think about it.

There is another dress I bought last year for wedding in a formal wear department that is cotton, so maybe cotton can be a formal fabric. It has a bit of sheen to it which might make it more formal looking. I have yet to read any rules regarding fabrics for formal occasions, but I appreciate the guidance. I'm up on etiquette, but not fashion.

My point is that I don't want some dress with boning and such that digs into me every time I sit down or breath, or something that I have to wear spanx to hide the lumps and bumps I have. Last year I ended wearing a less formal looking maxi dress for the second formal night because my formal dress was too uncomfortable. I did have sparkly jewelry to dress it up and no on batted an eye. I could probably get away with this pink dress if worse came to worse. I love to dress up and this is really the only chance I get to.

Do you have outlet stores near you? If so, check out bcbgmaxazzria. I picked up a jersey knit evening gown, which, despite the knit was very forgiving, was both elegant and comfy.

Yes, jersey knit isn't typically 'formal', but it was an evening gown in lenght and cut. And, it was only $53.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the dress is adorable, but I'd wear it on a casual night, even dressed up with jewelry.

I don't know why you feel you have to wear a dress with boning, or anything uncomfortable for formal nights. I have collected a number of cocktail dresses that are very comfortable to wear, the shoes not so much, but I'm rarely in heels.

Keep shopping :)

Archived