FYI on powerstrips

ussenterprise

That power outlet behind the bed as you mention is a European style one , so unless you bring an appropriate adapter it can't be used .

Watch out , next thing Carnival will do is ban cellphones onboard , that way you will have to use thier phone service (increasing profit) .

I will take 4 three plug outlets pictured on a previous page as well 2 power strips , they wont get them all as they will be in 5 different bags between 4 people . :D

I bet they will say cell phones will screw up the navigation systems on board or some crap like that...lol

As far as I know, the only ship they are confiscating on that the posts have been from has been Ecstasy. Any other ports besides Galveston experiencing this ...

Just got back from the Victory and my powerstrip got through. My friend had hers taken. We both checked our bags in at the same time.

We were in separate cabins so no, we weren't using 2 in a room and trying to suck all the ship's power. :)

For some strange reason, I took my traveling power strip out of my suitcase and didn't have it on the last two cruises. I adapted pretty well, I just didn't try to charge everything at once. The bathroom outlet charged the shaver and the camera batteries, and the desk outlet charged the cell phones. A little planning and there was no problem for us.

what's going on with carnival?? are there new shareholders? CEO? why all the rule changes and enforcing? what's really going on? are they trying to set the new standard? you know if they are successful other cruiselines will follow. i hate to think that as a loyal carnival cruiser since 1986 i'll be forced to change to another line. i'm not a smuggler so that's not the issue. all these "new rules" seem a bit overboard. am i crazy?

Yes there is a new CEO, if you have rules and dont enforce them why bother to pay a lawyer to make them in the first place. i guess the other fun part of this argument is if you have a battery doesnt it hold a charge if not plugged in. at home i generally use one outlet so i dont have a million wires overflowing my house i guess i am not a techno savvy as some of you are but we have 3 laptops multiple cells an e-book. I can charge all them off one outlet its up to you to change your device if you cant live without.

LoL...just sit it out on your balcony....screw the neighbors, they wont mind hearing it:D

This one is supposed to be super quiet ...

The noise level on the "super quiet" models are all below 64dB which means they're around normal speech levels or lower and are quiet enough for camping use. (our industrial generators usually range above 70dB and typical "cheap" generators are well above 80dB.)

These are also all "inverter generator" models and feature a load dependent throttle so the only run exactly as fast as needed for whatever your exact load requirement is. The engine rpm's will speed up and slow down automatically due to the wattage being pulled from the generator.

For instance, an RV air conditioner requires about 2.5 times more power when the compressor initially starts or kicks in, your inverter generator will rev up to supply power for that initial start load and then after about 5 seconds, once the compressor has started, the power need will fall way back down and so will the generators engine speed.

Keep in mind that although that the larger output generators are more quiet than the smaller units at the same load... for instance, if your pulling 1000 watts from a Yamaha EF1000 generator, it will be running full speed which is 57dB (still very quiet)... if you pull the same 1000 watts from the Yamaha 3000 watt inverter model, it will only be running at 1/3 speed so it will be around 53dB (well below normal speech).

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.hayesequipment.com/yamaha_generators/ef1000is.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.hayesequipment.com/rv_camping_quiet_generators.htm&usg=__AD5jVJR2PSCfRkrGn4_AYKAkBK8=&h=488&w=500&sz=31&hl=en&start=13&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=vxKHeVO0UpA4TM:&tbnh=127&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dgenerators%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN%26tbs%3Disch:1

:DBut you know some people...ya know those that freak out over a neighbor smoking on their balcony, causing an "allergic reaction." You know they will complain that the fumes from the generator are making them sick:rolleyes:

:DBut you know some people...ya know those that freak out over a neighbor smoking on their balcony, causing an "allergic reaction." You know they will complain that the fumes from the generator are making them sick:rolleyes:

You do realize that I am joking about the generator - right?

of course...thats why I put the :D and the :rolleyes: in my posts.....:D

Okay, just checking. 'cause I didn't want anyone to think I would actually bring a generator on a cruise. Though some of the things some people are bringing are rather mind boggling.

Do people actually bring mini refrigerators? I know people want to bring their game systems and some want to bring VCRs or DVD players. No wonder there are so many semi trucks parked next to the cruise ships. I originally thought they were food and other supplies. They are actually for the luggage.

That's crazy. But, since I need mine for medical needs (in addition to work and personal needs), would you suggest bringing it in my carry-on or keeping it in a checked (and locked) suitcase? I had mine in my checked (and locked) suitcase for my Feb. cruise and it wasn't an issue. I know they might question you either way, so maybe it'll be easier for that in the carry-on (since you'd likely be called to the naughty room if they question it in checked luggage), but would the carry-on screeners understand?

It isn't an option for me and it is an actual need. I unplug it when I'm not using it, although on next year's cruise I'll need one item plugged in 24/7. Then the other things (some medical-related, some work-related, one personal item) will be plugged in either only at night (not usually all on the same night - one likely will only need to be charged once during the cruise [that's how it was in Feb.], for instance) to charge them or (for one item, my cell phone that goes into clock mode when on the charger) most of the time when I'm in the room.

Okay, here is one that would be quiet ...

shamster2.gif

In an experiment in good old AMERICAN ingenuity, our top secret satellite office proposed the hypothesis that Sandy the Hamster could provide enough electrical power while running in his wheel to power PLANET ANDY. We said go for it but don't hurt the hamster!
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.planetandy.com/shamster2.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.planetandy.com/hamsterpower.html&usg=__m0cI1vsfVlN9QQY2fqDyHxrBYDA=&h=280&w=425&sz=80&hl=en&start=8&itbs=1&tbnid=cM0gG8lx3vxGWM:&tbnh=83&tbnw=126&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dhamster%2Bgenerator%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26sa%3DG%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26gbv%3D2%26tbs%3Disch:1

My wife follows John Heald's blog and yesterday he wrote that Carnival IS confiscating power strips - so take one at your own risk.

Okay, who is going to be the first one to start a power strip smuggling thread? :rolleyes:

That power outlet behind the bed as you mention is a European style one , so unless you bring an appropriate adapter it can't be used .

Watch out , next thing Carnival will do is ban cellphones onboard , that way you will have to use thier phone service (increasing profit) .

I will take 4 three plug outlets pictured on a previous page as well 2 power strips , they wont get them all as they will be in 5 different bags between 4 people . :D

If there's only 1 (or 2) outlets in the cabin, what do you plug the 4 adaptors and 3 strips into??

And, if they were all plugged into something, what would you plug into all the resulting outlets (2 dozen or so?). I can't imagine that much wired equipment even for 4 people.

I can tell you for sure the one plug is over the desk, which is not near to the beds without a extension cord.

i just found out thats not true. a gentleman posted as he has that cpap type machine and he said his was by the bed and he said he wasnt sure if its just like that or did the room steward move his bed for the machine. i said on the triumph it was at the desk, but i did read another post who said hers was by the bed. so i think it must depend on the ship ie: when was it built, probably the older ones.

i bet you its because lately i have read reviews on how the power has gone out on multiple rooms. and if you think about it,just like at home. too much being used at once, power trips out. so if tons of cabins all have power strips going. overload. we only had 2 ppl and never needed a power strip. camera has battery, cell phone off and no ipod/mp3. and only needed it for my hairdryer and then charging my cell up for trip home. lol

last i cruised (NCL last summer) the steward unplugged our powerstrip every day:rolleyes:we took to just plugging it in @ night after turndown

guess i'll be smuggling a strip in every suitcase & hide the contraband in suitcase during the day

just think, those of us with extras could have an impromtu auction on the lido deck

it has to be about power consumption as a strip with surge protector is relatively safe:confused:

We just returned from our first cruise-it was on the Liberty. I had read on cc that I would need a powerstrip or an extension cord etc. So I decided to bring an extension cord. I never had the need to use it at all-I won't even bother with it next time.

One thing that DID annoy me a little was that anything that was plugged into that one outlet we were given when the left the room would be unplugged by the room steward after we left. One night before dinnner I plugged in my battery charger for my digital camera battery that I would need charged for the port the next morning. I returned from dinner to find it unplugged. I also had an ipod travel docking station not only to play music, but to charge our ipods. Every time we would leave our room, we would return hours later to find that our room steward had unplugged it. Not the end of the world, but a little annoying. I just started charging them overnight while we were in the cabin.

Archived