FYI on powerstrips

ussenterprise

RCI made my DH put his pocket knife (less than 3"blade) back in our car last summer so they have some wacky rules too. Even security mentioned how you can get a steak knife in the dining room lol. What I don't get is all those saying they bring 2 laptops, 4 cell phones, cameras, etc. Who actually plugs everything they bring in at the same time? Anyone? Really? My camera gets plugged in one day, my cell phone another, maybe, my laptop occasionally, but it's a netbook and has like 7-8 hours of battery life, so we never have more than one or two things plugged in at one time. You can bring all that crap, but I highly doubt you need to plug it ALL in at the same time. I'm just sayin...:cool:

Cheryl, unknowingly, had a small corkscrew (3" total with a 1" folding blade for the foil) in her carry on last week. They took us to the side, totally emptied the bag, and could not find it. Back through the scanner - closer look - it was found down in a crevice. I can understand something like that not being allowed on a flight, but a cruise? They confiscated it and gave her a receipt. I asked about the steak knives they would be giving us in the dining room... where they plastic now? :rolleyes:

Tom

:eek: YIKES :eek:

Make that "...WERE they plastic now?" !!!

:o

Tom

(Posting same on very similar threads)

We typically take a couple of extension cords, a 1-to-3 plug, a fan, our satellite radio, a sound machine, and often a power strip.

This will continue. If they see fit to confiscate any of those items, then they won't need to do it again...;)

Tom

As ever, I am with you on this Tom.

I think the extension cords/power bars leads to fires argument is totally specious. Now, the extension cords/power bars lead to too great a drain on the ship's generator I totally get. If you consider the amount of crap people plug in for use on the go -- phone, iPod, camera, laptop, Kindle, satellite radio, GPS, etc. etc. etc. -- the total usage of those in-room outlets must have (metaphorically) exploded in the past ten years.

I totally agree, as a passenger I am bringing far more on board now than I was even 5 years ago.

But here is the thing, it's not my problem, if Carnival cannot figure out a way to allow me to charge my camera batteries, top up my e-book and charge my laptop at the same time, then guess what, I won't be spending my money on cruises with them. Yes it's self centered, yes it's all about me and yes it is my money I am giving to Carnival so they need to figure a way around it.

BTW I am Platinum with Carnival and have another 2 cruises booked with them in the next 7 months.

Ok, now I have had a couple of minutes to think about this, Carnival really is run by a bunch of idiots, do you think they don't understand that everyone will now label their power strips "for medical needs" ?

We laughed at dinner about the steak knives, after they were confiscating my $3 pair of scissors, standard kind you can buy at the dollar store.

If you bought the scissors at the dollar store, why do you list the scissors as being $3?

RCI made my DH put his pocket knife (less than 3"blade) back in our car last summer so they have some wacky rules too. Even security mentioned how you can get a steak knife in the dining room lol. What I don't get is all those saying they bring 2 laptops, 4 cell phones, cameras, etc. Who actually plugs everything they bring in at the same time? Anyone? Really? My camera gets plugged in one day, my cell phone another, maybe, my laptop occasionally, but it's a netbook and has like 7-8 hours of battery life, so we never have more than one or two things plugged in at one time. You can bring all that crap, but I highly doubt you need to plug it ALL in at the same time. I'm just sayin...:cool:

My list :

2 cameras / chargers (two batteries each that have to be charged each day, I like taking pictures)

1 laptop

1 battery charger for AA's for wife's portable speakers

that's about it, but as you can see, that's 4 outlets, yes I can juggle stuff, but really at any one time there is at least 2 things charging, plus the wifes hair stuff that has to be plugged in.

If CCL (and every other line) could give us more than one socket then no most people wouldn't need to bring a strip.

my surge/power stip bar died last summer on the spirit in Alaska, so I bought a new one in Ketchikan. It was promptly taken away upon boarding the spirit in port. ( we got it back at disembarkation)

few years ago my BF plugged my lap top directly into the ship plug.. (even with surge/power bar available)about 2 weeks after cruise my laptop started to have problems until finally the motherboard died. His sons lap top also died same circumstances.

we need to protect our equipment!

On my last cruise a family we were sitting with for dinner was using a power strip. They had two things plugged into it and it must have been too much for the outlet because it blew a fuse. They were without power in their room until the next morning and unfortunately for them it was also formal night. We took a power strip, but never needed it.

I can't bring a fan, which to me is "medically necessary" due to the lack of cooling in their rooms; but you can bring hair dryers and curling irons. So, I will just bring an extra hair dryer, turn up the fan speed and turn the heat off. I'll fashion my rum runners into a diffuser to spread the air flow out:D

my surge/power stip bar died last summer on the spirit in Alaska, so I bought a new one in Ketchikan. It was promptly taken away upon boarding the spirit in port. ( we got it back at disembarkation)

few years ago my BF plugged my lap top directly into the ship plug.. (even with surge/power bar available)about 2 weeks after cruise my laptop started to have problems until finally the motherboard died. His sons lap top also died same circumstances.

The power onboard is not as stable (or as clean?) as on land. This is obvious when our small fan is plugged in. I can clearly hear it change speed periodically, and it is usually never as forceful as at home.

Tom

The power onboard is not as stable (or as clean?) as on land. This is obvious when our small fan is plugged in. I can clearly hear it change speed periodically, and it is usually never as forceful as at home.

Tom

I would never plug anything that is "of worth" in on the ship. Low voltage/spikes can ruin eqipment.

Tom

So, the battery operated fans may prove to be more efficient then? :confused:

I think I saw a poster who stated she bought one and it needed 4 D batteries. I imagine something that used 4 D batteries would be good enough...but I don't use a fan so I'm not sure.

I contacted our Travel Agent who contacted Carnival for me and she assured me they know I will be bringing 2 CPAP machines and extension cord and a power strip. She said they told her to put in my carryon and it is flagged for my stateroom. So hopefully all will be well and they won't take them out! I'm printing the email from my Travel Agent, in case and keeping it with everything.

As ever, I am with you on this Tom.

I totally agree, as a passenger I am bringing far more on board now than I was even 5 years ago.

But here is the thing, it's not my problem, if Carnival cannot figure out a way to allow me to charge my camera batteries, top up my e-book and charge my laptop at the same time, then guess what, I won't be spending my money on cruises with them. Yes it's self centered, yes it's all about me and yes it is my money I am giving to Carnival so they need to figure a way around it.

BTW I am Platinum with Carnival and have another 2 cruises booked with them in the next 7 months.

Ok, now I have had a couple of minutes to think about this, Carnival really is run by a bunch of idiots, do you think they don't understand that everyone will now label their power strips "for medical needs" ?

OMG they just lost another customer.....

I am selling my Carnival stock!!!!!!!!

OMG they just lost another customer.....

I am selling my Carnival stock!!!!!!!!

I am holding on to mine! :D

BTW - I said IF they pull that crap and confiscate my "stuff", then they needn't worry about doing it again! ;)

Tom

You can buy single-plug surge protectors to use with your laptops. Just keep your laptop cord plugged into the surge protector (instead of the two items separated) in your luggage to keep it less likely that they will want to see your luggage because they think it is a power strip.

I keep a single-plug surge protector attached to my laptop's cord all the time so that it is protected at any plug I plug it into. The one I have actually straps onto the power block of the laptop's cord, which is handy. It also is actually integrated into the cord because instead of being on the wall plug side, it connects to the wall-wire side of the power block and then the original wall-wire connects into the surge protector. It is made by Belkin.

Archived