Prohibited items on Carnival ships

*Mach*

So do I understand this correctly?

Battery chargers, like a laptop battery or cell battery are on this list of prohibited items?

I can't find it anywhere on Carnivals website for those items!

They can't be serious enough to say our tough luck about your cell phone running dead?!?!?!??!

No, that's not the case. You can use chargers and such the prohibition is on the power strips that allow you to plug in multiple items at once...

:)

As usual is a case like this, the majority is now suffering due to the actions of the minority. You know, the ones who thought they were camping, not cruising and brought coffee makers, blenders, crockpots, George Foreman grills etc on board.

When the pendulum swings, it has a nasty tendency to swing too hard in the other direction.

I wonder if Carnival could bill passengers who use too much electricity in the cabins? If a cabin uses over x kW per day, add on a charge to the cabin's S&S account.

Someone on the Carnival forum has posted that they phoned Carnival yesterday (Sun 2nd May) and were told that Power Strips and Extension Cords COULD be brought on ships, no problem !

John

Oh honey...you must not be a Carnival "regular". You can call Carnival and get the recipe for the atom bomb too. Any information given to anyone who "calls Carnival and was told...." is 100% worthless. Never, ever, take it as anything resembling fact.

Someone on the Carnival forum has posted that they phoned Carnival yesterday (Sun 2nd May) and were told that Power Strips and Extension Cords COULD be brought on ships, no problem !

John

Lots of people from here called and were told no. Some have even had them confiscated. Carnival C/S is notorious for giving out conflicting answers.

Okay. I've not been on the boards for a bit, and look what happens. I learn something new.

Last night I turned a fan on, blowing on my face, and finally slept a bit better than normal. Hot flashes suck! I've been on a cruise with the hot flashes and, of course, the cruise was fine and I had a good time and all, but it would have just been that much better if I could have slept better. So last night, in the middle of the sweaty night, I decided that I'd bring my trusty little fan along on my cruise.

But, whoa! Now apparently there is some new rule saying I cannot. Nor can I bring the extension cord to allow it to reach the cooling breeze onto me.

I saw another thread from someone who changed cruise lines because of this new rule. I did not read the whole thread as it was PAGES long. But I am not going to change cruise lines.

So here's what I'm-a gonna do: bring my fan and my extension cord. I'm gonna put a sticky note on it saying it's for medical reasons due to hormones. It's also gonna say that if they don't want a sleep-deprived hormonal woman on their ship to leave it there.

I'll let you know what happens. I cruise in three weeks.

Shay

This is why anything I need to stay alive and healthy comes in my carry on.

Once had security go nuts when they saw my insulin needles.

Not as much fun as a new guy at TSA though.

Gramps

Thanks for bringing that up Gramps! We will be on the dream july 17 for our sons wedding which will be on the beach in st thomas! He is also a diabetic type one and he keeps his numbers really tight..can only imagine what will happen when they see all of his needles lol I will tell him to just smile at the man/woman who sees it all! :rolleyes:

Okay.

So here's what I'm-a gonna do: bring my fan and my extension cord. I'm gonna put a sticky note on it saying it's for medical reasons due to hormones. It's also gonna say that if they don't want a sleep-deprived hormonal woman on their ship to leave it there.

Shay

Way to go Shay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

elizabeth

Okay. I've not been on the boards for a bit, and look what happens. I learn something new.

Last night I turned a fan on, blowing on my face, and finally slept a bit better than normal. Hot flashes suck! I've been on a cruise with the hot flashes and, of course, the cruise was fine and I had a good time and all, but it would have just been that much better if I could have slept better. So last night, in the middle of the sweaty night, I decided that I'd bring my trusty little fan along on my cruise.

But, whoa! Now apparently there is some new rule saying I cannot. Nor can I bring the extension cord to allow it to reach the cooling breeze onto me.

I saw another thread from someone who changed cruise lines because of this new rule. I did not read the whole thread as it was PAGES long. But I am not going to change cruise lines.

Shay

The easiest way to manage it is to put it in your carry on luggage. If you have to put it in your checked bag label it as medically necessary and that will work as well...

:)

So sorry to hear the responses of those who will put medically necessary on their power strips when they really do not need them. We may not now be able to go on our cruise since dh uses a nebulizer and a POC. We have to have them to reach the bed and I don't know what we will do no one seems to have the answers but we would be out of luck without them. It's too hard to put them on carry on as we have so many medicines etc to put on those have always put them in the suitcase with no problem. I really think carnival should look at this and also those who really don't need them. Hopefully they will provide an adequate answer otherwise we will have to cancel and do have insurance. It's tough to get old and I do think a World war II veteran would have at least one more chance at a cruise. amen to all who think we are out of line.

Honestly, I did talk to Carnival and they said that if it is medically necessary, it will be allowed. No cruise line, in their right mind will deny a CPAP machine or any other medically necessary item. The number of people on this board compared to the numbers on the ship are really small and say 3-5% of them bring a strip on board. So what? They are surge suppressors, not fire hazards. Carnival needs to understand what the difference is. After talking to them several times, they really don't have a clue.

Well, it's Tuesday. Any word from the "beard" meeting? Usually, these sorts of things don't apply to me, but in this case, it does. So I am waiting to hear what the Grand Poobah Of All Things That Plug In came up with.

Well, it's Tuesday. Any word from the "beard" meeting? Usually, these sorts of things don't apply to me, but in this case, it does. So I am waiting to hear what the Grand Poobah Of All Things That Plug In came up with.

There's a thread down the way by Raven Days with the updated FAQ.

There is a lot of crap out there that in no way could be classified as a surge suppressor, like anything bought at a dollar store.

so true...a plug strip is NOT a surge suppressor!! :eek:

Too many people cheap out and buy plug strips for their expensive electronics thinking that they offer the same protection, when all they are getting is an extension cord with 6 outlets and an on/off switch.

I don't know if there is a difference in a plug strip and an extension cord. I only want to run a fan. I'll check out the battery powered one, but I don't know how much it'll help. I don't just get hot, ya'll, but its night sweats, and I can't cool off for usually an hour or so, and that's with my fan blowing on me.

If I can find an extension cord with just one outlet, I'll get it. I don't need anything for my cell phone (just a quick hour in the bathroom and I'm set for the ride home), and don't bring any other electronics.

I'll probably put all of this in my carry-on, but I don't see the difference. They'll catch it either way. I'll either tell them I need it or write a note saying I need it. I won't really lie and say it's medically needed, but I'll say I won't be able to sleep without it; and CCL won't want that hormonal, sleepless woman on board!

Can't wait to cruise, hot flashes or not!!

Shay

I don't know if there is a difference in a plug strip and an extension cord. I only want to run a fan. I'll check out the battery powered one, but I don't know how much it'll help. I don't just get hot, ya'll, but its night sweats, and I can't cool off for usually an hour or so, and that's with my fan blowing on me.

If I can find an extension cord with just one outlet, I'll get it. I don't need anything for my cell phone (just a quick hour in the bathroom and I'm set for the ride home), and don't bring any other electronics.

I'll probably put all of this in my carry-on, but I don't see the difference. They'll catch it either way. I'll either tell them I need it or write a note saying I need it. I won't really lie and say it's medically needed, but I'll say I won't be able to sleep without it; and CCL won't want that hormonal, sleepless woman on board!

Can't wait to cruise, hot flashes or not!!

Shay

Electric Fans: Due to safety concerns, these items cannot be utilized onboard nor permitted on onboard.

The above comes from the FAQ's on Carnival's website you will have to bring a battery operated fan

Archived