All this nonsense about Epic being ugly

octagonmike

She's not convetional looking but she aint ugly. And any how she's not necessarily a particularly conventional cruise ship.

I have NEVER sailed NCL before and I have booked her because

a) She offers a great East/West back to back itinerary

b) She has beautifully designed cabins

c) She has superb and extensive range of entertainment

d) She offers adult only areas

e) She looks like a fun girl !

Beauty is only skin deep.

"Ugly" is subjective I guess. But objectively speaking, from the photos and angles we've seen so far, she is pretty ugly. Looks like an elephant wearing a hat, to quote Det. Nick Yemana. :)

But the one view we haven't seen yet is a photo from on deck looking back to shore as she sails away, and from that view I'm going to bet she's a beauty.

Other than that I agree with everything the OP said and as another first time NCL'er I'm looking forward to sailing on her in December.

We'll be first time NCLers on Epic in August, and she's the reason we're giving NCL a shot. But that said, IMO it's an ugly ship. Not just ugly, but butt ugly. It's basically a giant rectangle with that courtyard area plopped on top. There is nothing nautical-looking about the ship whatsoever. Yet as others have said, who really cares? I was on the first US sailing of Eurodam a while back, and that too is not an attractive ship. It looks like a barge to me. But on the inside it was lovely, and that's really what matters. I'm sure Epic will impress similarly in her own way.

We'll be first time NCLers on Epic in August, and she's the reason we're giving NCL a shot. But that said, IMO it's an ugly ship. Not just ugly, but butt ugly. It's basically a giant rectangle with that courtyard area plopped on top. There is nothing nautical-looking about the ship whatsoever. Yet as others have said, who really cares? I was on the first US sailing of Eurodam a while back, and that too is not an attractive ship. It looks like a barge to me. But on the inside it was lovely, and that's really what matters. I'm sure Epic will impress similarly in her own way.

Well OK lets agree she is one ugly mutha

So what ?

How on earth does that affect anything whatsoever ?

I think many will find that going on the Epic will be like going on a date with an ugly companion and having an inside cabin.

After a few drinks, she will look a lot better. And in the dark of an inside cabin, you will feel like you are in the Royal Suite with a Princeess.

IMO, I really don't care if she looks like an aircraft carrier! I won't be looking at her while onboard. My reason for booking was to:

- give NCL a try

- The fact that I travel solo and the availability of "studio cabins" w/o a single supplement

- Ports of call

granny :cool:

They could add horns and a pigs nose to the bow and my cruise in June will be beautiful.

My sentiments exactly. I have waited so long to take my family on a cruise that she could be the color of basic primer and look like a sailing shoebox (which some think she actually does), and I will still be thrilled.

I actually don't think she's ugly, but then again back in the day I LOVED my Honda CRX and everyone else thought it looked like a roller skate. :D To each his own I suppose.

Perhaps "ungainly"might be a better description but while beauty is in the eye of the beholder, it is certainly true that the initial reaction to depictions of the ship, even the reaction of most died in the wool NCL fans, was that she was "ugly". That doesn't make her a "bad" ship but she probably won't win any beauty contests and isn't likely to ever be considered to be a classic design.

No one is really going to care what it looks on the outside like once they are on board. As long as you can recognize the ship in port, that is all that matters and I don't think people are going to miss the Epic with its hat. Once people start posting pics of her interior all of this ugliness business is going to stop. It is what is on the inside that c+ounts here. Counting down one year until we are on her - can't wait - thankfully we have a cruise in between so we don't go through total withdrawal.

Perhaps "ungainly"might be a better description but while beauty is in the eye of the beholder, it is certainly true that the initial reaction to depictions of the ship, even the reaction of most died in the wool NCL fans, was that she was "ugly". That doesn't make her a "bad" ship but she probably won't win any beauty contests and isn't likely to ever be considered to be a classic design.

This my take too.

Look at the car industry what was considered beauty in the 60's with round headlights would place close to last in some things today.

People judge by what they know and love. Classic lines, she does not have and therefore is the ugly sister now. But in the future things may change and she will end up the beauty queen.

Classic lines, she does not have and therefore is the ugly sister now. But in the future things may change and she will end up the beauty queen.

Most of the new built ships I tend to view as odd (different) rather than ugly and others see them as innovative and engineering marvels. To each their own.

That being said, the look of the any ship wouldn't stop me from sailing her. As far as classic lines are concerned though, I would give the nod to QM2 and maybe the Disney ships.

I agree with almost everything said here. Beauty is skin deep. It's what's inside that counts. Could paint it primer gray and will still have fun. I don't look at the ship off my balcony, etc.

However

It's butt ugly

I agree with a previous poster about the disney ships. Classic, beautiful lines. The workmanship inside with decorative iron, etc. is just gorgeous. I was extremely impressed how beautiful the Magic was when we sailed her.

Still, I'm looking forward to the Epic and can't wait to start getting "live" reports from the first cruise. :)

:oI have never thought she looked ugly...just HUGE. I am more concerned about all the variety she offers. From the rooms, restaurants, entertainment, pools. water slides, repelling wall. adult only section.. i could go on and on.. but i think you get the idea....

I just cant wait to get onboard Sept 11th!!!;)

Archived