All this nonsense about Epic being ugly

octagonmike

I am reminded of a favourite quote, although I cannot remember the source: "Sometimes, a question of opinion strays over and becomes an error of fact." Or something like that.

Objectively, it is ugly. There is nothing subjective about it. But so what? This particular ship stresses function over form, thats all. Some other cruise ships might sacrifice certain functional requirements because they are too concerned with making sure the outside lines take on a certain look.

NCL has always taken pride in changing things up, right?

I just ran across a picture of the Carnival Liberty. Apparently Carnival felt the need to add 2 suites on top of the bridge on her that totally and utterly ruin her looks from the front.

106590680.jpg

Yikes. :eek: People that think Epic's hat look like an afterthought need to check out the Liberty...

I am reminded of a favourite quote, although I cannot remember the source: "Sometimes, a question of opinion strays over and becomes an error of fact." Or something like that.

Objectively, it is ugly. There is nothing subjective about it. But so what? This particular ship stresses function over form, thats all. Some other cruise ships might sacrifice certain functional requirements because they are too concerned with making sure the outside lines take on a certain look.

NCL has always taken pride in changing things up, right?

I don't get it. Was the 747 Jumbo an ugly plane? It had a standard fuselage with an added 2nd floor in the front part.... bulbous, perhaps...but not ugly.

In Canada our passenger train (VIA Rail) used to have an engine called the Turbo, which was similarly bulbous.

Do rail cars with sightseeing 'sunroofs' qualify as ugly?

I don't see ugliness when I look at this ship. So I guess it IS subjective, after all.

• 2 weeks later...

That's what I see. I also think it is an ugly ship.

But it IS what is on the INSIDE that counts......(especially from an inside cabin).

That being said....it is a beauty to behold ... with me on it!!!

:D

People that say the EPic is ugly need to explain how they think a modern ship should look. I bet if it was rounded and space aged and the first space ship looking ship, the same people would still say the ship is ugly.

I happen to think that every Carnival ship looks the same. Epic looks like any other cruise ship except the cool Villa area that is like a crown. from the front, it looks like the ship has sunglasses on and very cool looking. Other than that, she looks like every other ship except she is wider, longer and higher. After all, it is what is inside that counts the most. Inside she has more curves, modern features, and entertainment than any cruise ship ever.

• 3 weeks later...
People that say the EPic is ugly need to explain how they think a modern ship should look. I bet if it was rounded and space aged and the first space ship looking ship, the same people would still say the ship is ugly.

I happen to think that every Carnival ship looks the same. Epic looks like any other cruise ship except the cool Villa area that is like a crown. from the front, it looks like the ship has sunglasses on and very cool looking. Other than that, she looks like every other ship except she is wider, longer and higher. After all, it is what is inside that counts the most. Inside she has more curves, modern features, and entertainment than any cruise ship ever.

This is an example.

BTW what is inside - is a separate story.

We are talking about how she looks from outside.:)

norwegianepic.jpg

You may not believe it but I like the way the real Epic looks better then you shopped version.

I'm so accustom to the Epic now that I don't think she's ugly at all. Other might not agree but I actually find a few angles of the Epic quite attractive! :D

Another Norwegian Epic variant.

Ducktail returned. Open promenade added.

Seemingly the original Epic lacks(!!) circle promenade (I don't consider that corridor behind lifeboats as an open promenade). It looks like every cubic inch has been used to pack it with cabins.

norwegianepic1.jpg

I think what throws most of us off is that the ship does not look aerodynamic. While she doesn't have to fly, wind tunnel testing is done as the shape has many effects on the performance and comfort of the ship.

The Captain of Oasis explained how much of the design had to look at this, and there are elements of the ship that work to make her more stable based on those elements. The open centre for example had major wind issues so an extra element had to be added to the ship to break up the "mini" wind tunnel they had created.

I only assume in the wind tunnel testing, Epic faired well enough. As a laymen I can't see how she is aerodynamic, given that front end. Of course hydrodynamically she looks like any other ship and I guess thats the most important part.

It really looks like they 'threw' the Villa section on top, as an afterthought.

While people are right to mention that we are on the inside looking out, they must acknowledge that architecture is measured and remembered from the outside looking in.

There are many examples of this in the Car industry. You can have all the beauty on the inside but if the outside looks ugly. people will notice.

If this ship is not Ugly, it is Awkward looking to say the least.

But like many of you, the look is growing on me, and ultimately it doesn't matter. I will look forward to sailing on her.

PS to my fellow Canuck that brought up the Turbo. It looked totally cool, in its day. It was aerodynamic, unlike the current engines which look like big brutes. Only thing was the Turbo could not run in the cold and snow.

CNTURB.jpg.ea949820f2eac565fcc8d0aec0caa6e3.jpg

I think what throws most of us off is that the ship does not look aerodynamic. While she doesn't have to fly, wind tunnel testing is done as the shape has many effects on the performance and comfort of the ship.

The Captain of Oasis explained how much of the design had to look at this, and there are elements of the ship that work to make her more stable based on those elements. The open centre for example had major wind issues so an extra element had to be added to the ship to break up the "mini" wind tunnel they had created.

I only assume in the wind tunnel testing, Epic faired well enough. As a laymen I can't see how she is aerodynamic, given that front end. Of course hydrodynamically she looks like any other ship and I guess thats the most important part.

It really looks like they 'threw' the Villa section on top, as an afterthought.

While people are right to mention that we are on the inside looking out, they must acknowledge that architecture is measured and remembered from the outside looking in.

There are many examples of this in the Car industry. You can have all the beauty on the inside but if the outside looks ugly. people will notice.

If this ship is not Ugly, it is Awkward looking to say the least.

But like many of you, the look is growing on me, and ultimately it doesn't matter. I will look forward to sailing on her.

PS to my fellow Canuck that brought up the Turbo. It looked totally cool, in its day. It was aerodynamic, unlike the current engines which look like big brutes. Only thing was the Turbo could not run in the cold and snow.

Aerodynamics doesn't matter a whole lot for a ship, as you mentioned it's all about hydrodynamics here. Also if you take away the Villa complex, the Epic looks just like many other ships, I cannot imagine those 2 extra decks will affect her that much aerodynamically.

A car isn't a good comparison IMHO; styling is a major reason why many would choose a car over another, it can matter just as much as the drivetrain or interior to many people.

On the other hand, I don't think many informed people would consider how a ship looks when they want a good cruise vacation. The villa complex might not look well integrated into the exterior design, but tell that to the people staying in the forward facing villas (especially the corner deluxe owner suites! :D), I can't think of a cabin on any cruise ship with a better view than those rooms.

Archived