Self Disembark Question

USA_Cruiser

We cruise in Sept on the Dream we usually put our luggage out and fly home. But this time we are driving can we do the self disembark if we are driving or is it just for people that have early flights. Also how does customs work when you self disembark. Thanks:D

We always self disembark. Some ships call you first and for some you just get off with the first group or whenever you want.

You DO have to carry all your luggage yourself ! Customs is not any different. Just walk through.

We're sailing on the Dream 5/8 so, does this mean that on the last day, we can just pack up and leave whenever we want? Do we have to wait for our number (how do we know what it is) or what? I still don't thoroughly understand this. I would however, just like to get up, straighten out, and leave (need to get our cruisemates to Orlando International by 10:30 a.m.) Thanks.

I've done this on my last two cruises. If you can carry all your own luggage then you can self assist. I get mad though because last time they called us by floors and all these people weren't following the rules. Next time I'll just get of with the first call :p

I've done this on my last two cruises. If you can carry all your own luggage then you can self assist. I get mad though because last time they called us by floors and all these people weren't following the rules. Next time I'll just get of with the first call :p

A cruise ship passenger not following the rules??? I find that hard to believe. :rolleyes:

I know what you mean....it is kinda like the folks that block the stairwells and the atrium lobby when they are asked repeatedly not to.

The best one I saw was a family of 4 on the Fantasy. They just sat their suitcase in the middle of the walk area in the Atrium for their kids to start playing cards. The Atrium was packed .... and here these fools block the only pathway on Empress through the Atrium.

Folks whose cabins were on Empress (or who were trying to get to the Guest Services Desk) got tired of tripping over them. One guy (who tripped on their suitcase going TO Guest Services)..."accidently" stepped right in the middle of it coming back. Everyone started clapping....

We're sailing on the Dream 5/8 so, does this mean that on the last day, we can just pack up and leave whenever we want? Do we have to wait for our number (how do we know what it is) or what? I still don't thoroughly understand this. I would however, just like to get up, straighten out, and leave (need to get our cruisemates to Orlando International by 10:30 a.m.) Thanks.

Self assist are the first off the ship. Usually there is an announcement when those carrying their own luggage my debark.

We do self-disembark on most of our cruises. There will be an announcement for s-d passengers (usually one of the first groups). You can leave the ship then, or anytime after that.

We like to wait until most of the passengers are off the ship, then we don't have to wait in line. Plus we like to watch the show of people complaining about their bills watching what people carry off with them.

Customs is the same for all passengers.

I must say, they have more guts than me to book a flight that early out of Orlando:eek:

Is it true that Canadians can not do self assist?

This depends on the port. We sailed out of Port Canaveral last year and were able to self-assist. We went through the customs lines with everyone else.

This year we sailed out of Tampa and had to go through immigration on the ship at 6:30 a.m. Non-U.S. citizens were not allowed to do self-assist debarkation.

We do self-disembark on most of our cruises. There will be an announcement for s-d passengers (usually one of the first groups). You can leave the ship then, or anytime after that.

We like to wait until most of the passengers are off the ship, then we don't have to wait in line. Plus we like to watch the show of people complaining about their bills watching what people carry off with them.

Customs is the same for all passengers.

Why drag all your bags around with you if you're waiting until almost everyone is gone? We wait till the ship clears and when we get to the luggage area, ours are among the few bags left. No hunting, no time lost, and no dragging bags all around the ship.

I must say, they have more guts than me to book a flight that early out of Orlando:eek:

Oh no, their plane is not leaving until 12:30 but they would like to get to the airport by 10:30 a.m. We live in Florida so we'll have our car parked at the pier and then drive them. Sorry for the confusion!

Why drag all your bags around with you if you're waiting until almost everyone is gone? We wait till the ship clears and when we get to the luggage area, ours are among the few bags left. No hunting, no time lost, and no dragging bags all around the ship.

We usually sit upstairs either on the Lido deck or stand/sit 1 deck above the disembarkation deck. We usually just have a tote and a 21" carryon.

The reason we wait is because most of our cruises leave out of Long Beach and they disembark during rush hour. During the week, it can sometimes take up to 2 hours to go from Long Beach to my home 54 miles away (normally it takes 1 hour with no/little traffic).

Archived