Port day in Naples - Need ideas

DJjazzy

Arriving in Naples on a cruise ship, Thursday in June. Already did Pompeii, Sorrento, Amalfi coast & Capri on a prior Italy visit. Looking for ideas and things to take up the day, as we just want to spend our time in Naples.

Thanks!

we are touring Royal Palace of Caserta, going to Herculaneum and finishing with time in Naples..

Caserta is amazing. The royal apartments will take at least an hour to tour, then the gardens another hour, minimum.

Are you using a car service? While it is possible to get to and from each of these sites using public transit, I don't think you'd be able to squeeze in all three (Caserta, Herculaneum, and Naples) in one port day using the trains.

Do not use their HOHO buses unless you do not plan to get off and back on at different sites. We had two buses that drove right by us and not pick us up!

We did spend several hours at the Archaelogical Museum and it was fabulous to see all of the items that were brought from Pompeii and Herculaneum.

I recommend a visit to the Naples Archaeological Museum for at least part of the day. It's chock full of all the best finds from Pompeii, Herculaneum, and other nearby ancient sites.

Dear Cruisemom42,

I read one of the threads about Athens, in that threat you mentioned you have a "step by step" of things to do in Naples. Would you be so kind to post it on here? I tried to search your posts but could not find it. I am a newbie here. Thank you for your help.

Dear Cruisemom42,

I read one of the threads about Athens, in that threat you mentioned you have a "step by step" of things to do in Naples. Would you be so kind to post it on here? I tried to search your posts but could not find it. I am a newbie here. Thank you for your help.

Is this the post you are looking for?

You can get to Sorrento from Pompeii on the same train - Circumvesuviana. It would make no sense to get a taxi to the train station since the ticket you buy will cover both the tram (or bus) to the station and your all-day train rides.

Here is some info from my notes:

Getting to Pompeii on Your Own:

Pompeii opens at 8:30 am. Try to get the “express” train that departs Napoli station(s) just after 8am. It’s important to beat the heat and the crowds, especially during the summer season.

The name of the port where ships dock in Naples is Mollo Beverello. Get off the ship as early as possible and walk to the Tabachi shop across street from the port entrance. Here you should be able to purchase your Circumvesuviana day-pass train ticket here (3.60 euro when I last checked); it will also entitle you to ride the #1 tram (or #152 bus) to the train station. To catch the tram, cross to the middle of the busy street and wait for the tram where you see poles and people on the cement island on the side closer to Molo Beverello (traffic going right with the ocean at your back). When the #1 trolley or #152 bus arrives, stamp your ticket and stay on it until it makes a wide right turn (around 5-7 minutes after you board). You'll need to get off as soon as you see a large concrete modern-looking roof which is the Napoli Porta Nolana Circumvesuviana Station (ask anyone onboard and they'll tell you).

Get off and you might need to stamp your ticket again at the turnstile and then head to the platform for the Sorrento-bound trains. Be sure to keep your ticket as you will need it for your return.

Trains are older, no A/C, beware of pickpockets.

Morning train times (as of now) from Centrale station are: 8:13; 8:24; 8:41; 9:11. The train takes about 30 minutes.

The stop for Pompeii is Pompeii Scavi – Villa dei Misteri. After exiting station, turn right and walk about 100 yards to Pompeii entrance. Entrance fee is 13 euro. Private guides are available (try to get a group tour in English); OR ask for the detailed Pompeii guide and map that is FREE and available at ticket counter. Take along this Rick Steves guided walk just in case they are out of guidebooks (it happens):

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/desti...ompeiiwalk.htm

When you're finished in Pompeii, go back to the train station and take the train in the same direction onward to Sorrento.

Here is a link for getting the current train schedule (in Italian only but very useful:

http://servizi.vesuviana.it/orari/or.../modulow3c.htm

And here is a link for a list of all the stops between Napoli and Sorrento:

http://www.vesuviana.it/web/en/infostazione

From Sorrento you can either take the train back to Naples or you can take the ferry back. I haven't done the ferry so I can't give directions.

Cynthia

It is in this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1193914

Is this the post you are looking for?

You can get to Sorrento from Pompeii on the same train - Circumvesuviana. It would make no sense to get a taxi to the train station since the ticket you buy will cover both the tram (or bus) to the station and your all-day train rides.

Here is some info from my notes:

Getting to Pompeii on Your Own:

Pompeii opens at 8:30 am. Try to get the “express” train that departs Napoli station(s) just after 8am. It’s important to beat the heat and the crowds, especially during the summer season.

The name of the port where ships dock in Naples is Mollo Beverello. Get off the ship as early as possible and walk to the Tabachi shop across street from the port entrance. Here you should be able to purchase your Circumvesuviana day-pass train ticket here (3.60 euro when I last checked); it will also entitle you to ride the #1 tram (or #152 bus) to the train station. To catch the tram, cross to the middle of the busy street and wait for the tram where you see poles and people on the cement island on the side closer to Molo Beverello (traffic going right with the ocean at your back). When the #1 trolley or #152 bus arrives, stamp your ticket and stay on it until it makes a wide right turn (around 5-7 minutes after you board). You'll need to get off as soon as you see a large concrete modern-looking roof which is the Napoli Porta Nolana Circumvesuviana Station (ask anyone onboard and they'll tell you).

Get off and you might need to stamp your ticket again at the turnstile and then head to the platform for the Sorrento-bound trains. Be sure to keep your ticket as you will need it for your return.

Trains are older, no A/C, beware of pickpockets.

Morning train times (as of now) from Centrale station are: 8:13; 8:24; 8:41; 9:11. The train takes about 30 minutes.

The stop for Pompeii is Pompeii Scavi – Villa dei Misteri. After exiting station, turn right and walk about 100 yards to Pompeii entrance. Entrance fee is 13 euro. Private guides are available (try to get a group tour in English); OR ask for the detailed Pompeii guide and map that is FREE and available at ticket counter. Take along this Rick Steves guided walk just in case they are out of guidebooks (it happens):

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/desti...ompeiiwalk.htm

When you're finished in Pompeii, go back to the train station and take the train in the same direction onward to Sorrento.

Here is a link for getting the current train schedule (in Italian only but very useful:

http://servizi.vesuviana.it/orari/or.../modulow3c.htm

And here is a link for a list of all the stops between Napoli and Sorrento:

http://www.vesuviana.it/web/en/infostazione

From Sorrento you can either take the train back to Naples or you can take the ferry back. I haven't done the ferry so I can't give directions.

Cynthia

It is in this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1193914

Dear Cynthia, thank you so much for the info. I will print your notes and bring it with me on the trip. We'll be going in mid June.

Dear Cynthia, thank you so much for the info. I will print your notes and bring it with me on the trip. We'll be going in mid June.

you're welcome.......and thanks to eurocruiser for hunting that up and posting it! :)

Take a stroll through the streets of Naples to the Montesanto Funicular and ride to the top and visit Castel Sant Elmo - stunning views over the bay of Naples, and all for a few Euros. Google it :)

Thanks for the great detailed information. A few follow-up questions.

1. Do you know the frequency of the bus or the tram? I am hoping to catch the 7:39 train.

2. If I use the bus/tram, is the validation on the bus/tram or before I get on?

3. In that I am trying to get the 7:39 train, should I just grab a taxi? It appears they are right in front of the Tabachi shop (at least they were the day Google Maps took the picture). Any idea of the cost of a taxi for three? I would guess 10 euros.

4. Once at the station, should we look for Line 1 or just the "Sorrento" trains?

Thanks to all for the information.

Kirk

Kirk, if you're in a hurry, spend the money on a taxi. Even in Naples traffic, it will be faster than a bus or a tram. (If you do wind up on a bus or tram, you validate your ticket on board, there will be several machines on the bus or tram itself.)

The taxi fare should be no more than Euro 10,50, which is the fixed rate fare from the cruise port (Molo Beverello) to the train station. If you're going to Sorrento you want the Circumvesuviana station at Porta Nolana, which is a tad closer than the main station at Piazza Garibaldi, but that fine a distinction will be lost on the taxi driver and not worth your energy to argue about. Simply tell him you want the fixed rate fare (you must state this in advance, otherwise meter rates are charged). I always advise folks who will be taking cabs in Naples to read the taxi information on the city's web site and to print out the file with the fares and take it with you. Naples city web site: http://www.comune.napoli.it/flex/cm/pages/ServeBLOB.php/L/EN/IDPagina/6665

Euro Cruiser,

Thanks for the response. I think we will paly it by ear on taxi versus tram/bus. If we are luckly the tram might get there around the same time we do. We are planning on using the Porta Nolana station

Thanks again,

Kirk

Archived