Is linen a good choice for hot, sweatsy weather?

poss

Or are those wicking shirts better? I've tried the REI/Columbia kind of thing and didn't find them especially cool. They washed and dried easily-- great for traveling. Since I get terribly hot and sweaty, I want to try to bring with me the coolest kinds of tops and bottoms I can find. Wish I could have done our Med cruise in October, but needed to be July.

Thanks for suggestions.

(Has anyone used the LL Bean linen clothing?)

Have you tried looking at any of these ? Columbia makes many types of sporting shirts.....but dh swears by them to keep cool in the heat ! He likes the Bahama one as well as the other "fishing" shirts with the vent in the back......

http://www.columbia.com/mens-short-sleeve-shirts/men-shirts-shortsleeve,default,sc.html

Thanks to all responders.

I'm going to look at some linen tops this weekend. My memory of linen (haven't worn it in decades) is that it was scratchy, stiff, heavy, not very comfortable. It's obviously different these days as so many people like it and find it very comfortable. I'm surprised they haven't found a way to make linen that somehow doesn't wrinkle. But, clearly, it's no longer the heavy-weight material that I'm remembering.

texancruiser: That's the kind of shirt I've worn in the past (long-sleeve variety, but rolled up). Easy to care for, but I didn't find them especially cool.

Any linen I've ever worn has been hot and scratchy to me, too, and I hate the wrinkles, even though I know it's 'supposed' to be that way. But, I am sensitive to fabrics and also can't wear silk or wool or anything scratchy, including some rayons.

I feel for you as we were just in Rome (in April) and it was 80 degrees + and I was very warm walking around the city. Many Romans were wearing winter coats though!

The second day I changed to a tank top and carried a short sleeved cotton shirt to put on in churches and wore capris rather than jeans. I was much more comfortable, if not as fashionable.

Thanks to all responders.

I'm going to look at some linen tops this weekend. My memory of linen (haven't worn it in decades) is that it was scratchy, stiff, heavy, not very comfortable. It's obviously different these days as so many people like it and find it very comfortable. I'm surprised they haven't found a way to make linen that somehow doesn't wrinkle. But, clearly, it's no longer the heavy-weight material that I'm remembering.

texancruiser: That's the kind of shirt I've worn in the past (long-sleeve variety, but rolled up). Easy to care for, but I didn't find them especially cool.

Look for washable linen I find it tends to be softer than linen requiring dry cleaning.

Laura

I am in the same situation, a cruise in Europe in August, but I live in Florida and I've found mixtures of cotton and linen to be very comfortable. Open weave, but not scratchy due to the cotton. Bought some at Kohl's the other day.

Archived