Thinking about St. John and how to go

IMDORY

The taxi rate hasn't changed in years, so it's always been approx $10-$11 pp each way as the posted rate. You may have gotten lucky when someone agreed to take you for less, but that's not the norm.

The taxi drivers are indeed telling the truth when they say the downtown to STJ ferry is unreliable. It doesn't get the same funding that the Red Hook route gets, so it doesn't run year-round, and if there's a mechanical problem, they might not send a replacement ferry. The Red Hook ferry is probably one of the most reliable transportation options in the region.

Tom ~ here's the problem with docking in Crown Bay and trying to get to Red Hook. The taxi's are so busy trying to fill with passengers going to Magen's Bay, Sapphire, island tours, etc., that if you are just two people trying to head to Red Hook, they have little interest in you. If you can hop on your roll call and get another four or five people to join you, you'll have much better luck getting a taxi quickly. We waited 25 minutes for them to even "assign us" to a taxi and then once we got in (five of us) he went back to the gate to try and get more people to fill the van. By then we missed our window to make the next ferry. When you disembark at 8:45, we shouldn't have had ANY problem making the 10:00 AM ferry. But at 9:35, we were still sitting in a van. That meant, we had to catch the 11:00 AM ferry and wasted an entire hour we could have been on St. John. I understand they don't want to take two people in an empty van. But they also need to understand that we have limited time and don't want to wait two hours to get there (which is what it took us).

Your timing is fine to visit (and we were still glad we went...just hated missing an hour). You theoretically should be able to make the 8:00 AM ferry. But more likely the 9:00. You can catch the 2:00 PM ferry back and have a very nice day on St. John.

To the rest asking about the ferry from Charlotte Amalie....no real set schedule like the Red Hook Ferry. No real terminal, either. We did see the Charlotte Amalie ferry going back from Cruz Bay to St. Thomas but it really isn't reliable. And it's not a very nice ride.

Taxi and ferry fares haven't changed in quite some time. Figure $50 per person (taxi, ferries, taxi on St. John) do enjoy a day there!

Tom, we never docked in CB but at Havensight, and I'm guessing Crown Bay is similar to Havensight in that many taxis will be heading to the East End beaches (and Red Hook) as well as Magen's and on tours. Taxis are stationed at the docks and a coordinator whisks folks to the appropriate taxis, very efficient operation. And if you go past the taxis at the dock you can find a quicker or more direct ride to Red Hook. I would not have any concerns about transportation to RH (or anywhere else for that matter) as the taxis fill up quickly.

When we taxied we walked past the dock taxis which are a "preferred" group to get a taxi on the street, we found that to be a little quicker as many taxis will go to the beaches first. When you arrive at the ferry terminal get your passes and get right in line so you don't miss the next ferry.

The Red Hook ferry to Cruz Bay is one of the most popular excursions, and when we ferry to and from Cruz we meet folks from both STT docks. But again, you can take the Charlotte Amalie ferry to Cruz and you can always ferry back to Red Hook if you prefer. Just check with the coordinator at the dock or the drivers to confirm the CA ferries are indeed running before going to that terminal.

Edited by blue_water

Crown Bay is about 15 - 20 minutes beyond Havensight, depending upon traffic. We were among the first group off Oasis last week and there was another ship docked with us and we still had a big problem filling a taxi to Red Hook. I don't know if passengers think it's too far or too expensive (they were actually charging $12 to Red Hook from Crown Bay) but we waited for 35 minutes and still only had a handful of people wanting to go to Red Hook and they wouldn't leave until the van was full. You'll have much better luck if you walk out to the taxi stand with six or seven people to begin with.

We have docked at Crown Bay before (this is our third time) and while this was the worst, fewer people go to Red Hook from here than from Havensight. You never have a problem quickly filling a taxi from Havensight.

By the way, we walked to the Charlotte Amalie dock and there wasn't anyone around when we arrived at 10:20 so there was no way to determine if that ferry was running and what time it was going. And don't count on the Crown Bay taxi drivers to tell you anything.

Good luck!!!

Based on CC postings, it seems as though more people are opting to take the ship's tour to St John, because it's just one boat ride as opposed to taxi/ferry and not that much more in price than on your own. That may be one of the reasons it was hard to fill a taxi.

More people are opting for Sapphire so they can have more beach time. The situation regarding beaches is always subject to change based on a number of factors.

Good points MS411. And of course experienced cruisers walk past the dock taxis and get a taxi to Red Hook or whatever destination they are heading to. We've met several couples and families that do this regularly from both docks because they always head for STJ. You just need to be smart to make good time, and waiting on a taxi to fill isn't it, IMHO.

You can also call the CA ferry terminal to check on the schedule while docking before you make a decision to head for Red Hook..

Smith's ferry contact-

Marjorie Smith

340-775-7292

Info@smithsferry.com

Native Son ferry contact -

340-774-8685

And of course the excursion from your dock is a very easy to experience the beautiful beaches of St John and still have time for the unique shopping in Cruz Bay.

Have a great cruise!

My family is cruising on Oasis of the Seas in May. We will be in St. Thomas from 9am-6pm and we would like to go to St. John for the day. RCL offers 3 or 4 excursions to St. John but I don't know what time they depart or how long it takes to get to St. John. Also, do these excursions go to Cruz Bay?

Dan - I'd recommend one of the excursions through Oasis because it can take quite some time to get from Crown Bay to the ferry on your own (happened to us two weeks ago). I haven't looked at those excursions but if they include some "time on your own" that time will be in Cruz Bay. I'll see if I ca take a look at them.

Dan - I'd recommend one of the excursions through Oasis because it can take quite some time to get from Crown Bay to the ferry on your own (happened to us two weeks ago). I haven't looked at those excursions but if they include some "time on your own" that time will be in Cruz Bay. I'll see if I ca take a look at them.

Host Anne, I appreciate your help and all the other good advice you've given to others. The more I learn about St. John the greater my urge to go there. I'm bound and determined to visit there with this upcoming cruise.

Any more information you can share with me about the best way of getting to St. John would be much appreciated

Islandman ~ happy to be of help. I love sharing info about my favorite island. We'll be back in a few weeks when we sail on Silhouette. Can't wait.

Here's my best recommendation.

• First, the nice thing is that you (Oasis) will already be on daylight savings time so you'll be on the same time as St. John (the US Virgin Islands do not switch to Daylight savings so it can be a pain to remember when the ship and island time is different).

• Post on your Oasis Roll Call and see if you can line up another six or eight people who are interested in going to St. John for the day. You can arrange to meet in a lounge (I'd suggest the Champagne Bar because no one is in there at that time of morning and it would be easy for you to meet up to get off the ship).

• Ask everyone to meet no later than 8:30. We arrived early and could get off the ship just after 8:45.

• Get off the ship together and walk directly to the taxi stand. As you get off the ship, bear to your right along the water and to the right side of the buildings. If you follow the taxi signs, they lead you THROUGH the shops and you lose valuable minutes.

• When you get out to the taxi area, tell the person filling taxis that you have a group (8, 10 or how many you can gather on your roll call) who want to go to the Red Hook ferry. A group of 8 - 10 should get you into a taxi and on your way without waiting for many more people.

• Be sure to tell the person assigning taxis that you want to make the 10:00 AM ferry to St. John. If you are off the ship and into a taxi by 9:20 AM you shouldn't have any problem making the 10:00 AM ferry. If you leave any later than this, it could be tough and then you'll have to sit around until the 11:00 AM ferry. Worse, you lose an hour on St. John.

• Once you get to St. John, everyone can be free to go their own way. There are tons of safari taxis waiting to take people to the beautiful north shore beaches ($6 - 8 per person depending on which beach you want to go to) and $25 per person for an island tour. If you've never been to St. John, I highly recommend the island tour (lasts maybe two hours or so) and then ask to be dropped off at one of the north shore beaches (remember Trunk Bay has a $4 admission fee....I like paying it just to support the National Park!)

• You can also decide to head back to Cruz Bay for lunch and shopping (both Mongoose Junction and the area along the beach next to the ferry dock offer plenty of great little shops, bars and restaurants). You can walk all over Cruz Bay easily.

• I'd recommend the 4:00 PM ferry back (get's you back to Red Hook about 4:20) and there will be plenty of taxis waiting to take you back to Oasis (about a 35 - 40 minute ride). You don't need to return as a group because there will be lots of taxis at Red Hook. It's only a challenge getting to Red Hook when you get off the ship in the morning to head to St. John.

By the way, if you cannot get a group to take a taxi to Red Hook, simply head out to the taxi area on your own and tell them you want to go to the Red Hook ferry. You may have to wait until the fill a van completely and that may mean getting the 11:00 AM ferry instead of the 10:00 AM. Maybe you'll have better luck than we did two weeks ago filling a van to Red Hook.

Feel free to ask questions. It is a wonderful way to spend your day.

Edited by Host Anne

If Cinnamon is too crowded try Maho or Francis.

To keep it simple at the cruise dock you just tell the taxi coordinator where your group is going and he'll direct you to the appropriate taxi. Or you can avoid all of that bustle and wait time and get your own taxi from one of the "non-preferred" drivers who aren't part of that. Either way it's a quick ride to Red Hook, get in the ticket line and then the ferry line and have a great day! Really couldn't be any easier and is an enjoyable day if you have the time to enjoy it. And in good weather the ferry ride is nice, you'll want to sit on the top deck.

Edited by blue_water

Thanks so much Host Anne and Blue Water; you guys are the best.

I'll definitely check into Roll Call for my cruise and if that doesn't work out we'll look for a small taxi. We've been to St. Thomas 5 times before (all 1 day cruise stops) and this time we definitely want to see St. John. Again, I'd like to say thank you to both and all who provide helpful information on this great site.

Islandman ~ you are most welcome. Keep in mind that taxis "inside" the fenced off area when you get off the ship are part of the "taxi association" permitted to pick up passengers in this area. It's the same (but different taxi association) when you come back and get in a cab at Red Hook. To get a taxi not part of the association as bluewater mentioned is a great idea if one is available. The day we docked in Crown Bay, there weren't. We walked outside the fenced in area and there were no independent taxi's to be found. We, in fact, walked into Charlotte Amalie (I do not recommend this). One of the big Carnival ships was already in port ahead of us so the taxi situation wasn't quite that easy the day we were there. Hopefully you won't run into that.

A few notes on beaches. Trunk and Cinnamon have complete facilities - restrooms, snack bar, chair and snorkel equipment rental. Hawksnest and Maho have pit toilets but no other facilities. Francis has no facilities and is the farthest and most difficult to get to although very pretty. Maho is our personal favorite but do keep in mind there is nothing to eat here and no rentals available for chairs/snorkel equipment.

Have a great time and enjoy the anticipation.

If Cinnamon is too crowded try Maho or Francis.

To keep it simple at the cruise dock you just tell the taxi coordinator where your group is going and he'll direct you to the appropriate taxi. Or you can avoid all of that bustle and wait time and get your own taxi from one of the "non-preferred" drivers who aren't part of that. Either way it's a quick ride to Red Hook, get in the ticket line and then the ferry line and have a great day! Really couldn't be any easier and is an enjoyable day if you have the time to enjoy it. And in good weather the ferry ride is nice, you'll want to sit on the top deck.

I really dislike playing the St. Thomas, "let's wait until we can't squeeze one more person into the taxi" game. For one or two couples just wanting to get to Morningstar or Emerald, it can be quite a wait as those beaches aren't always the most popular. I definately want to avoid the bustle and wait time of that ritual. So can you help me locate the "non-preferred" drivers?

Islandman ~ Both Trunk and Cinnamon are beautiful beaches.

Trunk can get extremely crowded when Oasis is in port and there are lots of other ships in port with you. I looked up the St. Thomas May ship schedule and it appears it's just Oasis and Carnival Dream in port in May. If you've never been to Trunk and can catch the 10:00 AM ferry, I'd consider giving Trunk a try. If you go to the far left when you arrive (away from the underwater snorkel trail) it's normally less crowded. It does cost $4 per person to enter Trunk.

Cinnamon is larger and also very pretty. On a typical day, it is less crowded than Trunk and takes just a few minutes longer to get to. When you get into the taxi at Cruz Bay, ask the taxi driver how crowded Trunk is. They'll have been making beach runs so they should have an idea. He'll also most likely stop at the Trunk Bay overlook before you get to the entrance to Trunk and you'll be able to see how crowded the beach is. You can change your mind at this point regarding which beach to go to. My avatar here on Cruise Critic is a photo taken from the Trunk Bay overlook.

Here is a link to my Oasis photos from earlier this month. The St. John photos (all the beach shots) are from Cinnamon. http://oasisdec2012.shutterfly.com/pictures

Trunk is a bit more protected than Cinnamon. It's a smaller, tighter bay so the water is normally calm. Cinnamon is a much wider and longer bay and you can get some good waves (it was fairly rough two weeks ago) but when we've been there in May, both had fairly calm water to the point you can walk the edge of the water and see lots of fish, rays, turtles (especially at Cinnamon and Maho).

You can't go wrong with either beach!

Edited by Host Anne

Host Anne, I can't thank you enough!

Your photos of the beaches and ship are beautiful. I will take your advice and see if Trunk is too crowded, and if it is , it's off to Cinnamon. Looks like a win-win either way.

It looks like we are in for a treat with Oasis of the Seas!

What a way to spend New Years day! Thank you to all the posts and pics (Host Anne, Augie, blue water +) what a very informative thread!

First trip to St. Thomas (03-06-13), port Crown Bay. On HA 8-5PM. Planning on following recommendations on getting off quick and catch a cab to Red Hook (no action of ANY kind on roll call yet) will try to recruit some takers. Own snorkel gear and are thinking of catching a cab to Waterlemon, Maho, or Cinnamon. Goal is best snorkeling.

Thanks again for all the recommendations and suggestions!

Very excited!