Thinking about St. John and how to go

IMDORY

>>If we catch the 9am RH ferry, we can probably get an hr in the water, before it gets really crowded.<<

Good idea

the ferry to CA departs Cruz at 3:45PM

We have to be back onboard at 4 so I was going to take the 215p to CA. But It looks like they dont do the 215p anymore and 1pm is too early.

Might have to take the 2pm back to RH and taxi it. Hope there isnt any traffic that day:eek:

That is cutting it close but on the other hand STT is a fun place to spend the night!:eek:

But if your departure time is 5 PM you will be fine, taxis will be lined-up at the Red Hook ferry terminal because many others will have the same plans. Just be sure to get in line at the Cruz Bay ferry early because it will be a crowded ferry.

Fizzgigd,

After going to Trunk Bay many times in the past, and Cinnamon Bay on my recent trip, I would recommend Cinnamon Bay. I think it is just as nice as Trunk Bay, esp. if you head to the right past the point after reaching the beach. Also keep in my mind Trunk Bay charges a $4/person entry fee.

After reading everyone's wonderful posts, I think I want to skip STT and just go to St John. Should I really just skip STT?? It is our first visit to both St. Thomas and St. Maarten. We don't care about shopping/partying, we mostly like snorkeling, diving, seeing nature. The Trunk Bay beach looks Soooooooo amazing, but I've heard the snorkeling is so/so. How is the snorkeling at Cinnamon Bay or elsewhere on STJ?

We dock at Charlotte Amalie, does that make a difference? We're on the NCL Sun in late Oct/early Nov 8-5pm. I think we only have 1-2 other ships in port. I thought we'd do the cab to Red Hook & ferry over. Are ferry schedules less often in the off-season?

If we don't got to STJ we'll probably just go to Coki or Sapphire beach, so I'm thinking we should go for it and see St. John! Advice please. Thanks:)

It's really a choice you have to make. It's too bad you're not docked overnight so you could do both! STT is definitely worth a look-see, but a tour and beach stop on either island is a great day. The RH ferry is the best self-tour option and that freey is regular.

But pick one island this trip and next cruise you can see the other - you'll have something to look forward to! :)

Edited by blue_water

After reading everyone's wonderful posts, I think I want to skip STT and just go to St John. Should I really just skip STT?? It is our first visit to both St. Thomas and St. Maarten.

If we don't got to STJ we'll probably just go to Coki or Sapphire beach, so I'm thinking we should go for it and see St. John! Advice please. Thanks:)

Since you have never been to STT than check it out. Its a great Island and has lots to offer. Plenty of places to go snorkeling.

Most cruiselines have STT on thier eastern itineraries so next time you can explore STJ.

If this is a once in a lifetime visit I would go straight to STJ.

I agree with the poster above that types faster than I do

Edited by jonbgd

• 3 weeks later...

Our last trip we stayed the day at Sapphire Beach and enjoyed ourselves tremendously. Considering trekking over to STJ this time. I have done some research and we can pick up a rental car from Budget at Havensight and take a car ferry at Red Hook to St John. I am a little hesitant (alright-quite nervous! :eek:) to drive on St Thomas, but it looks like our transport would be $100 +/- for the 4 of us, and the cost of a taxi round trip from Havensight to Red Hook would be $80, let alone the ferry cost and transportation on St John. That sure makes this seem like a no-brainer...

So while it seems fairly simple, I would love and appreciate to hear feedback from others who have done this. Please tell me-is it easy to do, anything you would change or be sure to do next time if you have done this? Additionally, if you have any tips or suggestions about great photo ops, places to have lunch on StJ and/or roads to take for pretty views, love to hear that too since we will have our own car (providing you don't talk me out of a rental-LOL).

Thanks for your time and help!

Our last trip we stayed the day at Sapphire Beach and enjoyed ourselves tremendously. Considering trekking over to STJ this time. I have done some research and we can pick up a rental car from Budget at Havensight and take a car ferry at Red Hook to St John. I am a little hesitant (alright-quite nervous! :eek:) to drive on St Thomas, but it looks like our transport would be $100 +/- for the 4 of us, and the cost of a taxi round trip from Havensight to Red Hook would be $80, let alone the ferry cost and transportation on St John. That sure makes this seem like a no-brainer...

So while it seems fairly simple, I would love and appreciate to hear feedback from others who have done this. Please tell me-is it easy to do, anything you would change or be sure to do next time if you have done this? Additionally, if you have any tips or suggestions about great photo ops, places to have lunch on StJ and/or roads to take for pretty views, love to hear that too since we will have our own car (providing you don't talk me out of a rental-LOL).

Thanks for your time and help!

Sapphire is a lovely day. Trunk Bay is gorgeous, you will enjoy that - Period!

Sapphire is a lovely day. Trunk Bay is gorgeous, you will enjoy that - Period!

Blue water-I think you gave me the name of the Hook Bracelet maker on St John, is that you? If so thanks! I am very excited to have one made! It will be our first stop & last stop on St John! :D

Edited by WaggesAZ

Yes we were impressed with the quality and craftsmanship of the owner of St John Bracelet, and having one custom made just added to the memory.

http://www.stjohnbracelet.com/

There are a few jewelers there, we just happened to choose this one.

Have a great day!

Edited by blue_water

First, I apologize. I know this information available somewhere but my head is spinning from overload and I can't find it! Could someone please help me out?

I'm try to fiqure out where the Carnival Liberty docks? Also, what time is the first ferry from Red Hook to Cruz Bay? We dock at 7:00 AM on October 1, 2012

Much Thanks,

Debbie

You will normally dock at Havensight which is preferred.

RH ferry toCruz departs at 6:30 & 7:30 AM, then hourly from 8AM til midnight. Returns hourly from 6AM to 11PM. RT taxi to ferry = $18 - 20pp, RT ferry = $12 - 14pp.

Edited by blue_water

Debbie ~ if you google St. Thomas Cruise Ship Schedule you will be able find the schedule. Carnival Liberty docks at Havensight (called the West Indies dock on the schedule) every time it stops in St Thomas in September. October calendar isn't up yet but I'm sure it's the same.

ENJOY!

You will normally dock at Havensight which is preferred.

RH ferry toCruz departs at 6:30 & 7:30 AM, then hourly from 8AM til midnight. Returns hourly from 6AM to 11PM. RT taxi to ferry = $18 - 20pp, RT ferry = $12 - 14pp.

Is the cab really $18-20 PP or is it per ride to Red Hook? How much is the cab at the other end to Trunk Bay please? Thanks

Is the cab really $18-20 PP or is it per ride to Red Hook? How much is the cab at the other end to Trunk Bay please? Thanks

It was $6 per person, one way, last time I went in February.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

RT (roundtrip) taxi from dock to Red Hook ferry is $18pp. RT taxi from Cruz Bay to Trunk is about $10pp. RT ferry is $12 - 14pp. So plan about $40 - 45pp total (+ tips, the drivers on STJ give a very nice tour as part of the ride).

Edited by blue_water

• 3 weeks later...
RT (roundtrip) taxi from dock to Red Hook ferry is $18pp. RT taxi from Cruz Bay to Trunk is about $10pp. RT ferry is $12 - 14pp. So plan about $40 - 45pp total (+ tips, the drivers on STJ give a very nice tour as part of the ride).

Blue water, thanks for all the advice. Is it any cheaper if you share the cab with another couple?

The price/person is less for 2 (or more) ppl and is $9 then. That is the least you will pay pp.

That doesn't make sense to me. So it sounds like there is no discount $18 for two or $36 for four on the cab?

BTW, I found there is a Senior discount for the ferry. Hubby can go for $1.25!! yippee

I don't understand your question M.:confused:

But the taxi fare is $9pp each way for 2 or more ppl. If you taxi alone (1 person) the fare is $10.

If 2 couples share a taxi that fits in the "2 or more ppl" category and the fare is $9pp each way.

Hope that helps!:confused:

We just returned from our cruise on Carnival Dream and when in St. Thomas we went to St. John on our own - 2nd trip on our own for us, and we had two other couples join us.

We did not arrive in St. Thomas until 11 am and we made the noon ferry and this trip to St. John we opted to take the 2+ hour open safari tour of the island and it was AMAZING!

$25 pp right upon our arrival in St. John and it wound up being just the 6 of us on the tour. We negotiated with our driver to take us to the beach for a while for an additional $6 pp - and he waited for us - well worth the extra $$.

WOW the hills, and steep climbs on St. John are amazing.

We enjoyed our time at the Sugar Ruins and we saw goats on the side of the road feeding and we even saw two mule deer along with all the other fabulous scenery and overlooks.

I would highly recommend taking this tour to give you a taste of the island and learn some of the island facts.

Our ship departed St. Thomas at 7 pm and we opted to take the 4 pm ferry and that got us back in plenty of time.

It was another fabulous day on St. John - anyone wanting to see our photos, click on the link at the end of my signature to view our Carnival Dream cruise album.

Thanks again for all the wonderful information on this thread.

Susan A.