Table Hog Poll

dosp

Have you (previous cruisers) waited to seat, while others waited to be "served"?  

289 members have voted

1. 1. Have you (previous cruisers) waited to seat, while others waited to be "served"?

• Yes, and I was upset
    • Yes, and and I was NOT upset.
    • No, I didnt' notice, I ALWAYS got a seat, with hot food.
    • No, I don't care if I eat a cold breakfast.

We have done this on every cruise and nobody has ever gotten mad at us. I wouldn't think about getting food and not knowing where I was gonna go with it. That would SUCK.

We will usually go ahead and get drinks and then one of us gets food while the other waits and then the second one goes...

Not sure that this should be a huge problem - seems to be standard!!

Also, the poll is now screwed because I accidently voted for the wrong thing. I meant to say that this does NOT make me mad....

[quote name='heathernijoli']
Also, the poll is now screwed because I accidently voted for the wrong thing. I meant to say that this does NOT make me mad....[/QUOTE]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=darkorchid]Ummm do you live in Palm Beach County in Florida? <ducking> [/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#9932cc][/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#9932cc]For what it's worth, we also get our cold stuff first, find a table and then take turns getting our hot food. Yikes am I a table hog?????[/color][/font][/b]

[quote name='heathernijoli']I do not live in Palm Beach County but as a political science nerd I do enjoy any jabs about incorrect voting! Hee hee hee...[/QUOTE]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=darkorchid]Too funny!![/color][/font][/b]

• 2 weeks later...
If we think about it, one of us gets a table while one of us gets food. We always try for the smallest table possible that would fit us. I would not be offended if somebody joined us because there was no were else to sit. That being said, if there were absolutely no tables available after I got my food, I would probably get a teensy bit upset but I wouldn't let it ruin my cruise.

The point of this whole thread, I think, is that no matter where we are, we need to remember and be considerate of everybody else but not let anybody else ruin our cruising experience.

Oh, and I pronounce Missouri 'misery' because if you'd ever been forced to spend 10 weeks as a child in the middle of nowhere in 100 degree heat with nothing to do you would call it misery too.

[quote name='heathernijoli']I do not live in Palm Beach County but as a political science nerd I do enjoy any jabs about incorrect voting! Hee hee hee...[/QUOTE]

I soo agree as I live in a county where according to our former clerk over 97% of the county was registered to vote, including the convicted felons.

[quote name='dosp']

There are at least 30 extenuating circumstances to the above issue. Please do not post them, as they have been covered, ad nauseum on previous posts.

[/QUOTE]

Steve,

I am coming into this late, so forgive me. I have read the entire thread. One of the things that seems over the top, to me, about your posting, is you are trying to tell people what they can and cannot discuss in this thread. Perhaps it is because you are the OP, I don't know. What I do know is that on a board of this size you cannot force people to read threads or not and you cannot tell them what they can or cannot post. It is just not worth worrying about. If you do not want to read someone's post then please move past it.

As for table hogging. Yes I have seen it. I have also patiently hovered on the outskirts waiting and had some woman come in and swoop down on a table I was waiting for as she was exiting the buffet line. It is not fair but it happens. In Las Vegas you are seated in the buffet and get up and leave when you are done. Maybe that would work on a cruise, I don't know. I also have noticed two people seated at a table for 6, been waiting and politly asked if we may use the two extra seats. I have not been denied but if they were visibly upset I would not sit there. I did not make best friends with them, they sat at one end and we at another.

I am seated with other groups at breakfast in the dining room and had nothing but a wonderful experience with this. Do bad experiences happen? Of course they do. Is it rude to hog a table in the buffet area while others are waiting? Yes it is. If you are done move on. That said my husband and I select a table first, I sit and he gets food and then we switch. That is not rude at all. We also take turns if we return to the buffet. This does not take long and we eat and get up and leave when we are done.

Since it appears Steve left on his cruise last Friday, what I would like to know is, when he returns, will he post and let us know how the table situation was on the Mariner? We're waiting anxiously...

Amanda:)

[font=Trebuchet MS][size=3][color=darkgreen]I think people stare into space because they don't want to be made to feel bad for sitting while someone else in their party gets food. I don't think there's anything wrong with finding a table and then getting the food. Makes more sense to me.[/color][/size][/font] [font=Trebuchet MS][size=3][color=purple]Just my humble opinion.[/color][/size][/font]

It makes perfect sense to get a table first and then get your food. Why would anyone want to walk with a tray of food then try to locate a table. My definition of a table hog (or an inconsiderate person) is one that is done eating, reads a book, or newpaper, or plays cards etc. at a busy time of day when other diners are looking for a spot.

If your done eating leave.

[quote name='bplazo']It makes perfect sense to get a table first and then get your food. Why would anyone want to walk with a tray of food then try to locate a table. My definition of a table hog (or an inconsiderate person) is one that is done eating, reads a book, or newpaper, or plays cards etc. at a busy time of day when other diners are looking for a spot.

If your done eating leave.[/QUOTE]

My sentiments exactly!

[quote name='dougp26364']Maybe I'm part of your preceived problem. When we go to breakfast, we find a table first. Then my wife goes to get her breakfast. When she gets back I go to get my breakfast. In this manner, we are never left standing with a plate of food and nowhere to sit. We do not "hog" the table as we do not stay at the table any longer than is necessary to enjoy our breakfast.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you. We do the same thing. But we also try not to get a table for 8 when its just the two of us. We also don't mind sharing our table if someone were to ask.
But Naren and I do this at other restaurants. Its not limited to cruise ships. We'll do this at In N Out, because that place is always crowded. :D

At first, I couldn't figure out what you were talking about and then I realized you meant the buffet. We eat 99% of our meals in the dining room where we always have seats and the food comes hot. No wandering around like lost souls looking for a table. We also like sitting with and meeting new people every day.
The few times we've eaten in the buffet due to excursion timing or the dining room being closed on some excursion days to accomodate an extended buffet, we find a table first and take turns going to get our food, like some of the above posters. That way, I can leave my purse with DH and we don't have to worry about others removing our plates. That's amazingly rude (plate removal), but nothing surprises me any more. The waiters should be carrying at least the ladies' trays and finding you a table, anyway.
We usually avoid buffets anywhere because we eat too much, although, when we don't have a choice, I do like the omelet station and on the Galaxy there is a Belgian Waffle station to die for.
Room service is free, but we've never used it. I'd much rather have a proper table and be waited on hand and foot.

Explorer E. Carib. 1/12/02
Explorer W. Carib. 1/18/03
Summit Alaska cruise/tour 8/3/03
Adventure S. Carib. 2/8/04
Galaxy Panama Canal 2/3/05
Booking later today:
Jewel Brit Isles/Nor. Fjords 6/19/06

• 2 weeks later...
The handful of times we ate in the Windjammer we either had a waiter find a table for us, or some people were finishing up and offered us their table, or we took food to some outside tables, or there were plenty of open tables available. Never really had any problems with the Windjammer...

• 2 weeks later...
On the Brilliance we always dined outside at the Windjammer. Hey, you are on the high seas. What are you doing inside? Go aft of the Windjammer and enjoy your meal in the fresh ocean breeze. . . and if you are still hungry, go upstairs to the Seaview Cafe!

[quote name='dosp']
????

I know I have been considerate and will continue to do so. Do NOT seat yourself at my table. You will know me, I'll be the one with the 357 MAGNUM on the table.

Now, you, as many of my CC friends who know me and my previous posts can all wonder.....

AM I SERIOUS......

OR...............................................................NOT? ;)

Best cruising to you,

Steve[/QUOTE]

Your reply has not only been noted, but also reported to the appropriate authorities to investigate your traveling with a weapon.

As an avid supporter of the Patriot Act, anyone knowingly or admittedly traveling with a weapon is subject to investigation and intention of use of any fire arms in their possession by the proper authorities.

[quote name='Kathie44']
The waiters should be carrying at least the ladies' trays and finding you a table, anyway... I'd much rather have a proper table and be waited on hand and foot.
6/19/06[/QUOTE]

This sounds like a joke.

As a perfectly capable female - one who has arms strong enough to carry her own tray- I would much rather do the buffet on my own without the assitance of a waiter.

If we truly need assitance of waiters to get a tray & find a table at a buffet, we are sadder than I thought. And by we, I mean cruise passengers as a whole and not necessaily myself.

Archived