All Things Splendor

Just off the Splendor last week 8/1 - 8/8. The two movies I noticed were Blindside and Avatar. Also, played on TV in cabin.

Didn't watch any of them though. Too many other things to chose from. Make sure you try the Piano Bar. (Request him to do "Piano Man")

I never did get to see Blindside, so that would be a treat! :D

I read the Piano Bar is now nonsmoking. That would be great! My DD and I would enjoy spending some time there, but not if it's still a smoking bar (I quit smoking in December and I'm not ready to be around it yet! :))

Hey Mikure,

You wouldn't happen to have your Fun Times/Capers from the cruise that you could post? DH and I are on the Splendor 8/22.

Did you enjoy the cruise and how was the food?

Tried the buffet for breakfast on Monday, then the MDR on Tuesday. Food was much better and service was great, so did MDR the rest of the week.

For lunch, we were disappointed with the buffet. Pizza bar was really good. You have to try a calzone. They make it to order, well worth the wait. Hamburger/Hotdog grill was always good. DW had the Mongolian grill and liked that but the line is usually long. Go early (Sunday / Monday) is your best bet. Didn't try the Burrito Bar or the deli.

Did the MDR for dinner every night. Excellent service and food was good. The first night our waiter, Joe in the Gold Pearl, started by saying if we don't like something, tell him right away and we could order something else. Didn't have to take him up on his offer but thought that was good to know. Most of the time we went with his recommendation and was not disappointed.

On Saturday around lunch time was the chocolate buffet. Get in line early, it gets long and never got shorter until it ended.

I do have the Fun Times and will post them soon (I just got home from CA. tonight.) They may change because John Herald started as the new Cruise Director on 8/8.

I will try to get a review up sometime this week.

Our first time on Carnival and "Did we enjoy the cruise?" We bought 2 Future Cruise Credit Certificates. So i guess you could say YES WE DID. :D

We are on the Splendor Mex. Riviera cruise leaving Oct 3rd from Long Beach. Does anybody know if either of the main dining rooms are open for lunch on Embarkation day?

Last time we sailed on NCL, and it was a bit of a secret, but one of the main dining rooms was open for lunch on Embarkation Day and it was nice to avoid the buffet.

We are on the Splendor Mex. Riviera cruise leaving Oct 3rd from Long Beach. Does anybody know if either of the main dining rooms are open for lunch on Embarkation day?

Last time we sailed on NCL, and it was a bit of a secret, but one of the main dining rooms was open for lunch on Embarkation Day and it was nice to avoid the buffet.

On our Splendor cruise, embarkation day lunch was only served in the Lido buffet area -- it was great --

Edited by CalmCruiserNC

I'll be traveling on Splendor this Oct and I've noticed pictures of private whirlpools in the treatment rooms on ships with Cloud 9 Spas. Are you able to rent one of the treatment rooms with a whirlpool in it without getting a massage or other treatment?

Here's one of the pics i'm referring to..

http://0.tqn.com/d/cruises/1/0/Y/_/4/Carnival_Dream_Cloud9_Spa2.jpg

Edited by joshac912

I'll be traveling on Splendor this Oct and I've noticed pictures of private whirlpools in the treatment rooms on ships with Cloud 9 Spas. Are you able to rent one of the treatment rooms with a whirlpool in it without getting a massage or other treatment?

Here's one of the pics i'm referring to..

http://0.tqn.com/d/cruises/1/0/Y/_/4/Carnival_Dream_Cloud9_Spa2.jpg

This room is used for an expensive "couples massage" that is a few hours I believe. It was VERY expensive. If it is something you would want to do. if you wait until "port days", they will run "specials" at discounted rates which will make this a little cheaper as everyone is in port and they are trying to pull people into the spa. I do not think you can "rent the room" without the couples massage.

I just wanted to say thanks, just read through this WHOLE thread. Very good information. Can't wait to read the newest "capers".

This will be our first time on Carnival. We've been on RCL and Princess. I'm very excited. It appears that the balcony doors are doors though - not sliding doors. I wonder what I should bring to prop it open with?? Anyone done this? We like to have naps with the ocean air coming in...

Also - when people refer to spa passes or packages - what is included in those? I like to take baths and we haven't sprung for a suite so no bathtub in cabin. On Princess i was able to pay for a thermal bath one day but it was $40 I think. Is there a charge to use the spa showers and facilities when getting ready for dinner etc?

Also for those on a recent cruise, what is the order of the MDR menus? Is it always the same? Can someone post them? We're trying to plan when to go to the Pinacle and don't want to miss out on a great MDR night.

Thanks

T

I just wanted to say thanks, just read through this WHOLE thread. Very good information. Can't wait to read the newest "capers".

This will be our first time on Carnival. We've been on RCL and Princess. I'm very excited. It appears that the balcony doors are doors though - not sliding doors. I wonder what I should bring to prop it open with?? Anyone done this? We like to have naps with the ocean air coming in...

Also - when people refer to spa passes or packages - what is included in those? I like to take baths and we haven't sprung for a suite so no bathtub in cabin. On Princess i was able to pay for a thermal bath one day but it was $40 I think. Is there a charge to use the spa showers and facilities when getting ready for dinner etc?

Also for those on a recent cruise, what is the order of the MDR menus? Is it always the same? Can someone post them? We're trying to plan when to go to the Pinacle and don't want to miss out on a great MDR night.

Thanks

T

We are going on the Splendor on 9-26-10. If you bookmark our cruise journal (link below) we post most of our pictures and commentary as we go on the cruise. We take alot of pictures as well so you should get a pretty good idea from our review.

If you look at the Dream cruise in our journals, we "bought into" the spa package for the week ($249). We would never do it again as we did not use it. (we went once) It would be worth the money if you used it more than us. I took pictures in the private spa areas and the Dream spa is similar to the Splendor, so you can get an idea from the Dream pcitures. It only covers admission to the "special spa areas": thallo pool, saunas, and relaxation rooms. Massages and spa treatments are NOT included and are separate. The thallo pool is a big jacuzzi which we found were not much different that the regular ones. It is in the gym area although the gym and showers are free, this is a locked section of the gym area and it is included in the fare for people booking spa cabins.

Thanks

T

We used the door stop from our cabin- always a fun scavenger hunt when stewards use it to prop open cabin door to clean!:D

Bungee cord is also an idea

Thanks

T

Starting last Monday (1 week ago) John Heald included the menu for that night in his blog. You can see it post all last week as what was being served and plan ahead. Yes the menus are the same and if you do alot of 7 day cruise like we do, it will be pretty much the same from cruise to cruise except the next time you can order something you didn't order previously. The menu is also posted outside the dining room and is accessible on the TV interactive menu in your room.

Starting last Monday (1 week ago) John Heald included the menu for that night in his blog. You can see it post all last week as what was being served and plan ahead. Yes the menus are the same and if you do alot of 7 day cruise like we do, it will be pretty much the same from cruise to cruise except the next time you can order something you didn't order previously. The menu is also posted outside the dining room and is accessible on the TV interactive menu in your room.

I saw that John Heald had posted the menus but I was unable to locate day one. Is it not posted or is it just me? :o

I saw that John Heald had posted the menus but I was unable to locate day one. Is it not posted or is it just me? :o

You are right. He didn't blog on Sunday and started blogging Monday and started the menus on day two actually. Day one is nothing too special if I remember from our other cruises.

They are now called Fun Times. I posted them on this post: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1253743&highlight=

Thanks so much, Mikure - it was so nice of you to scan everything. You have made a lot of people's day I'm sure!

And thanks to everyone else who has contributed so much to this thread. I love reading about and making plans for my upcoming trip. Oct 17 can't get here soon enough...

Nancy:)

You are right. He didn't blog on Sunday and started blogging Monday and started the menus on day two actually. Day one is nothing too special if I remember from our other cruises.

Thanks, I wondered what was on the menu the first night. Still trying to decide when to go to the steakhouse.

I did notice that on our last cruise the MDR was closed on embarkation day. We are also on the 10/3 sailing on the Splendor. I have to recommend the deli right when you get on to avoid any lines. The sandwiches are really good. Enjoy your cruise.

Splendor Cocktail Party

The "Roll Call" for September 19th 2010 sailing is holding a Splendor Cocktail Meet & Greet Party and were looking for more CC members to join in. The cost is only $12.pp with a OPEN BAR for 1 hour. There will also be Non-Alcoholic Drinksand snacks also provided from CCL. What a great way to meet your fellow CC members and have a great time. Please RSVP to our Roll Call Board "

firstnew.gif September 19 - 26, 2010....Its Splendid To Be On The Splendor" or leave a message here. Thanks.....:)

Was wondering if anyone has ever stayed on the Verandah (8) deck in a cabin under the Grand Buffet? We are booked in 8399 and noticed it's directly under the buffet. I'm a little concerned we'll hear the early morning, late night traffic from above. What has been your experience?