All Things Splendor

Hi Everyone,

Hoping someone can give me a suggestion. DH and I are on the Splendor 8/22. We are celebrating our 10 yr anniversary. We would like to go to the Maitre’d and request a 2 top on the main floor of the MDR near a window or at least a 4 top. Do you think we would have a better chance of getting our request honored if we also provide him with an additional tip as we are asking him?

Just a thought.

Thank you

Thanks for the great pics on webshots!

We are on Splendor next May, and I am so excited to sail on her!

We are also aft, because we love the rocking at night as well.

My husband and I usually get up about 3 or 4 in the morning once on each cruise and walk around taking pictures. There are little to no one around, and you can get some really good photos of the ship.

We are also on the same sailing as you. There is a roll call started if you wish to join

Don't let those nasty comments affect you...please tell David to continue to post his opinion, review and pix. I love reading them.

I agree, please continue to post. I've posted just a simple question and gotten nasty comments regarding my question. I just ignore them...

I was looking at someones Splendor pictures and saw a picture of a chair made of tiles. I'm guessing that they are heated tiles. Does anyone know if this would be included in the Day Spa Pass? Thanks so much!

Yes, they're included. There are two rooms with chairs with heated tiles: one has chairs and the other has loungers. My routine was to go into the Thalo pool, then the steam room (across the way, on the right), then to the connecting room with the heated loungers. Very relaxing!

There's also a relaxing room upstairs where you can get water, tea, and fruit.

Enjoy!

Hi Everyone,

Hoping someone can give me a suggestion. DH and I are on the Splendor 8/22. We are celebrating our 10 yr anniversary. We would like to go to the Maitre’d and request a 2 top on the main floor of the MDR near a window or at least a 4 top. Do you think we would have a better chance of getting our request honored if we also provide him with an additional tip as we are asking him?

Just a thought.

Thank you

I guess it doesn't hurt to try. When we were on the Splendor a couple of weeks ago, I had requested to change to the Gold Pearl because it's located on the Aft part of the ship--better views from there. We weren't able to, because there were so many larger parties due to all the children that were onboard. I didn't tip when I asked. We ended up being seated with a rude couple at dinner. We went to speak to the Maitre d at the lunch the next day, but he wasn't available. I spoke with another gentlemen, and he said that he would pass on my request to be re-seated due to the rude table mates we had. About an hour or so later, we had received notification in our stateroom that we had another table. It was a table for 2 near the entrance, beside a wall. We had a fantastic wait team (Ivana and her asst), and were very happy.

I hope your request is granted.

First a couple of questions for those who have recently sailed the Splendor:

1. Do you have menus? I'm especially interested in knowing what the appetizers are on the first elegant night. DD and I will be eating in the Pinnacle that night and we don't want to miss escargot in the MDR. I know we can get them at Pinnacle, but would like to have the opportunity twice during the cruise. :)
  2. And, what movies have been playing lately--both on the big screen and in the room?

I found some links about the Splendor I haven't seen before, and thought I'd share. :D

This one's video. This guy was playing with some features on his camera and did some slow-mo and some time lapse. There's the ship, the dining room, and the ports of call. Very enjoyable.

This one is a blog--she starts with the food. :) She can certainly turn a phrase, which I enjoyed overall. She has one blog post about the spa (they were in a spa balcony) that had me thinking about skipping a port and spending the day in the spa! :D http://www.shari.com/2009/07/carnival-splendor-the-food.html

And, here are her photos (if I recall correctly, close to 500 of them):

And here's the Spendor page from the Unofficial Carnival Wiki: http://www.unofficialcarnivalwiki.com/wiki/Carnival_Splendor. It's mostly stats, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. :)

1. Do you have menus? I'm especially interested in knowing what the appetizers are on the first elegant night. DD and I will be eating in the Pinnacle that night and we don't want to miss escargot in the MDR. I know we can get them at Pinnacle, but would like to have the opportunity twice during the cruise. :)
  2. And, what movies have been playing lately--both on the big screen and in the room?

I found some links about the Splendor I haven't seen before, and thought I'd share. :D

This one's video. This guy was playing with some features on his camera and did some slow-mo and some time lapse. There's the ship, the dining room, and the ports of call. Very enjoyable.

This one is a blog--she starts with the food. :) She can certainly turn a phrase, which I enjoyed overall. She has one blog post about the spa (they were in a spa balcony) that had me thinking about skipping a port and spending the day in the spa! :D http://www.shari.com/2009/07/carnival-splendor-the-food.html

And here's the Spendor page from the Unofficial Carnival Wiki: http://www.unofficialcarnivalwiki.com/wiki/Carnival_Splendor. It's mostly stats, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. :)

I don't remember escargot at all in the MDR last month. As far as movies go, all I remember was Avatar and a Jim Carrey movie that I'd never seen before on the Main Screen.

I don't remember escargot at all in the MDR last month. As far as movies go, all I remember was Avatar and a Jim Carrey movie that I'd never seen before on the Main Screen.

No escargot?!? :eek: We always look forward to that--DD's first taste of it was on a cruise and she was so surprised she liked it. At least we can get it in the Pinnacle. :)

Avatar's the movie I'm hoping will be playing. I took DD and her best friend to it when it came out and 10 minutes into the movie the friend's mother called and asked me to take her to the emergency room. Nothing wrong with her, but that's where I spent my afternoon. :rolleyes: Hopefully it'll still be playing and I'll finally get to see it! LOL.

Thanks!

thanks for the links.. some of those I haven't seen yet.. I esp liked the guy who posted the video.. wow.. incredible beautiful video and what an amazing job he did with the editing and shooting.

thanks for the links.. some of those I haven't seen yet.. I esp liked the guy who posted the video.. wow.. incredible beautiful video and what an amazing job he did with the editing and shooting.

You're very welcome. We're three weeks from sailing, so I've read everything I can find on the Splendor. I was excited to find a couple links I hadn't seen before. The videos were my favorite--he did a great job! Part of my job is editing video, and I really appreciate how he put those together. :)

Yes, they're included. There are two rooms with chairs with heated tiles: one has chairs and the other has loungers. My routine was to go into the Thalo pool, then the steam room (across the way, on the right), then to the connecting room with the heated loungers. Very relaxing!

There's also a relaxing room upstairs where you can get water, tea, and fruit.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the info! Am I correct in thinking that the Spa Day Pass is only available on Port days? I wonder which port I should skip? This sounds wonderful. I am going to spend at least one day in the Spa area. My only problem is I still have four months and four days until my cruise. I want to go now!

Thanks for the info! Am I correct in thinking that the Spa Day Pass is only available on Port days? I wonder which port I should skip? This sounds wonderful. I am going to spend at least one day in the Spa area. My only problem is I still have four months and four days until my cruise. I want to go now!

I'm not sure if the spa day passes are only available on port days. It's hard to say which port to skip. Our first trip to MR, our port days were filled with activity. This past trip, we stayed on the ship every port day. There was nothing that we wanted to see or do at port, and loved having the entire ship to ourselves.

I'm not sure if the spa day passes are only available on port days. It's hard to say which port to skip. Our first trip to MR, our port days were filled with activity. This past trip, we stayed on the ship every port day. There was nothing that we wanted to see or do at port, and loved having the entire ship to ourselves.

I think I will check into getting a pass right after we board the ship. I would also love having the entire ship to myself. Sounds like a great day to me! Thanks again for your help.

I think I will check into getting a pass right after we board the ship. I would also love having the entire ship to myself. Sounds like a great day to me! Thanks again for your help.

Not sure how they will handle it on the Splendor, but when we were on the Dream in May, we inquired about a "day pass". We were told that they sell weekly passes first and if they sell all the weekly passes, there is no daily passes to buy. There is a limit to how many people can have access to the spa. Spa cabin is guaranteed access and as the areas are not big, there is a limited number of "buy in" people allowed. As it turned out, people were denied day passes after the second day because by the end of the second day all the "weekly passes" were purchased reaching the maximum number allowed access. We had just wanted to go for the day to see if we would like it, but ended up buying a weekly pass due to the possiblity that no daily passes would be available. We like the spa but frankly with so many other things going on, we only got there once so basically it cost us $125 each to use the spa one day (daily passes are $30 each)

If you are really set on using the spa, I would not wait for a daily pass that might not be sold on that cruise. I would purchase a weekly on the first day.

We will never go to the spa again because we are not into spas that much. The thallo pool is a big jacuzzi which there were so many on the Dream, they were often empty, and I like to read while I relax and couldn't use my Kindle in the spa. (I fact the magazine I brought got so damp it was falling apart)

Just so thoughts for you...

Not sure how they will handle it on the Splendor, but when we were on the Dream in May, we inquired about a "day pass". We were told that they sell weekly passes first and if they sell all the weekly passes, there is no daily passes to buy. There is a limit to how many people can have access to the spa. Spa cabin is guaranteed access and as the areas are not big, there is a limited number of "buy in" people allowed. As it turned out, people were denied day passes after the second day because by the end of the second day all the "weekly passes" were purchased reaching the maximum number allowed access. We had just wanted to go for the day to see if we would like it, but ended up buying a weekly pass due to the possiblity that no daily passes would be available. We like the spa but frankly with so many other things going on, we only got there once so basically it cost us $125 each to use the spa one day (daily passes are $30 each)

If you are really set on using the spa, I would not wait for a daily pass that might not be sold on that cruise. I would purchase a weekly on the first day.

We will never go to the spa again because we are not into spas that much. The thallo pool is a big jacuzzi which there were so many on the Dream, they were often empty, and I like to read while I relax and couldn't use my Kindle in the spa. (I fact the magazine I brought got so damp it was falling apart)

Just so thoughts for you...

I hope I am able to buy a day pass because like you I'm afraid a weekly pass would be a waste of money. I'm sure my friends will want to do everything so I don't know how much time I will have to spend in the Spa area. I'm wanting to stay on the ship while my friends go into port and spend some alone time in the Spa. I haven't decided which port I want to skip. It sounds like the Dream has a lot of jacuzzi areas. Do you know if it is the same on the Splendor? When I was on the Paradise it was so crowded that I never could get in the jacuzzi.

I hope I am able to buy a day pass because like you I'm afraid a weekly pass would be a waste of money. I'm sure my friends will want to do everything so I don't know how much time I will have to spend in the Spa area. I'm wanting to stay on the ship while my friends go into port and spend some alone time in the Spa. I haven't decided which port I want to skip. It sounds like the Dream has a lot of jacuzzi areas. Do you know if it is the same on the Splendor? When I was on the Paradise it was so crowded that I never could get in the jacuzzi.

There are 2 jacuzzis near the aft pool, 1 near the water slide, and 2 on the panorama deck above the main lido pool area.

Not wanting to read 11 pages of replies, I thought I'd just throw my 2 cents in.

The buffet is very large with several different stations specializing in different ethnicity of foods. Also, the Rotisserie up stairs is not to be missed and usually has some extra seating if you can't find a good place on the lido deck.

One last food observation....it took us a few days to discover where the deli was merely due to there being so many food choices closer to our cabin. But it's by the aft pool.

If it's even close to being chilly in the evenings, they would close the sliding roof over the main pool and it was very toasty in there for the movies in the evening. Even muggy. They had a great karaoke night by the main pool on one evening, so if you're into that, don't miss it.

Not wanting to read 11 pages of replies, I thought I'd just throw my 2 cents in.

The buffet is very large with several different stations specializing in different ethnicity of foods. Also, the Rotisserie up stairs is not to be missed and usually has some extra seating if you can't find a good place on the lido deck.

One last food observation....it took us a few days to discover where the deli was merely due to there being so many food choices closer to our cabin. But it's by the aft pool.

If it's even close to being chilly in the evenings, they would close the sliding roof over the main pool and it was very toasty in there for the movies in the evening. Even muggy. They had a great karaoke night by the main pool on one evening, so if you're into that, don't miss it.

Thanks for the info on the sliding roof. I was wondering what I was going to wear while watching movies (I don't want to pack a heavy coat).

I hope I have enough room to try all of the food choices. I tried the Rotisserie on the Paradise and loved the Mac and Cheese. We also liked the Deli at lunch time. Is the aft pool in the adult area?

I found the Splendor to be very overly-air-conditioned-- I needed to go outside just to warm up! I'm glad I didn't get pneumonia between the coldness of the ship & the heat of the lido deck!:eek:

Do you think a thin jacket would be ok in December? I have no idea on what to expect temp wise.