All Things Splendor

I am getting so excited about cruising on the Splendor in dec that I dreamt about it last night!!

A few questions/comments about the ship (its my first time not only on the splendor, but on carnival too! ive only done RCCI, NCL and celeb):

A little more detail about whats available on the ship... exactly what dining options are there?

Has anyone tried the sushi bar? we L.O.V.E. sushi! i also heard that sometimes they serve tapas. is that true?

apparently Im hungry, first 2 questions have to do with food :o:p

is the mini-golf really crowded all the time? it seems to me that ppl would want to do that all the time, especially with kids.

also the movie nights, is that really crowded and hard to get seats?

what kind of special parties are there? i mean like special deck parties.

i have other questions too but i dont want to be a nuisance :p

i feel like i dont want to even sleep on the trip, i want to pack so much in! by the time we go, itll be 4 yrs since our last cruise, so i feel like a newbie all over again (but with more knowledge) and i love that feeling :D

Be sure to have a childrens banana split in the MDR, I love them. One of those and a cappuccino for dessert, my favorite!

I'm not sure, but I don't think you get a choice of what dining room you use. I think its based on the location of your cabin on the ship. I'm not sure of the name, but my cabin was forward of the Atrium bar, so I dined in the dining room connected directly to the Atrium and just aft of the bar. The other dining room is aft of this one with a galley in between.

Except for location, I think the layout of the two dining rooms are for the most part identical.

I was at a singles table, but the bench seat with 2 chairs you mentioned was right next to us and I thought they were very nice. I didn't see a traffic problem for them at all. I would think this would be perfect for the three of you. There is a pic of a cruiser I met seated at one of these tables raising a bottle of wine in my WEBSHOTS below.

Others, I'm sure, will have more precise information for you. I hope you have a great cruise. :)

I'm sailing in two days. This my first cruise. I've seen your posts in many places and you've been very helpful to many people.

I'm 51 and sailing single/solo. I'm trying to decide if I want to request being seated with other singles or just be seated at a large and social table of mixed groups. I love social dining but I am not interested in feeling like I have to be a "single" kind of person. I just want to meet who-ever I meet. Old guys. Large families. Herd of teen-age girls. What-ever. LOL.

I guess what I'd be most interested in is finding somebody or somebodys to adopt or to be adopted for some company for shore excursions and dining with people where I'd most likely be exposed to people who would be interested in same. What would be you or anyone's advice for same?

Edited by MOHAVE

I'm sailing in two days. This my first cruise. I've seen your posts in many places and you've been very helpful to many people.

I'm 51 and sailing single/solo. I'm trying to decide if I want to request being seated with other singles or just be seated at a large and social table of mixed groups. I love social dining but I am not interested in feeling like I have to be a "single" kind of person. I just want to meet who-ever I meet. Old guys. Large families. Herd of teen-age girls. What-ever. LOL.

I guess what I'd be most interested in is finding somebody or somebodys to adopt or to be adopted for some company for shore excursions and dining with people where I'd most likely be exposed to people who would be interested in same. What would be you or anyone's advice for same?

Hi Mohave,

I hope you have a great cruise. There is nothing like the wonderful feeling of walking onto the ship the first time. Enjoy it.

As for your dining arrangements, when you receive your Sign and Sail card, you will have a dining assignment right on the card. If I were you, I would sit where I was assigned for the first night and if for some reason you aren't happy with it, you can request to change your seating with the Maitre D.

Enjoy!

Diane

Does anyone know what deck the indoor hot tubs are on? I just saw a picture and I could see myself being there for a few days. :D

They are on deck 10 - one deck up from the deck 9 part of the Lido deck. They are in the middle of the ship above the middle pool and the big screen TV.

Does anyone know what deck the indoor hot tubs are on? I just saw a picture and I could see myself being there for a few days. :D

Deck 10 above the main lido pool,wouldn't call in indoor, but it's covered. If you keep walking aft on the starboard side it will take you outside (smoking area), all the way down, you will find the Rotisserie inside on the left. Outside at aft end they have tables. It over looks the adult h/t & small pool.

They are on deck 10 - one deck up from the deck 9 part of the Lido deck. They are in the middle of the ship above the middle pool and the big screen TV.

Deck 10 above the main lido pool,wouldn't call in indoor, but it's covered. If you keep walking aft on the starboard side it will take you outside (smoking area), all the way down, you will find the Rotisserie inside on the left. Outside at aft end they have tables. It over looks the adult h/t & small pool.

Thank you both. I just love how everyone on CC is so nice, always ready with a helpful answer. It sounds like a great location to me, hot tub with rotisserie close by. Is there a bar in this area? I must have my diet soda. :D

Is there a bar in this area? I must have my diet soda. :D

In the lido pool or aft pool area, both deck 9.

Thanks again! I see you're from CA. We are finally getting some cooler weather. Last week (113 in LA) would have been a great week for a cruise. To bad work got in my way.

I'm glad I was of some help, Mohave. The lady raising the wine bottle you're referencing was just another cruiser I met in the World's Smallest Bar in Los Cabos. We spent the afternoon walking all over Los Cabos and then met later for a drink in the Atrium bar.

I would suggest you sit at a singles table (going solo, Carnival will probably put you there anyway). If you don't like the table you're at you can request a change. But do this the first thing after you board. You'll meet a lot of nice people there and maybe do some of the ports together. I met a great lady from NJ at a solo table on the GLORY several years ago and later did a couple cruises with her (See WEBSHOTS). We had a ball. I still call and e-mail her to this day. You'll probably meet a lot of people on the ship that will "adopt" you or be "adopted" by you. :rolleyes:

I hope you have a great cruise.:)

Loved all the Splendor photos, Gary, thanks for sharing! I can't wait!

I was looking at the picture from the Lido deck onto the balconies below. I will have a balcony on the 8th deck, below the Lido, as well. I am just wondering what part of the deck you shot the picture from. Do you recall? Can you look down onto all the baloncies from the Lido? Thanks.

Your welcome, Hotflashn.

I'm not positive, but I think I shot those photos from either the aft part of the 10th deck (one above the Lido) or from near the bow where the navigation wing sticks out further than the balconies do. I wish I could be certain, but I can't. Sorry.:(

Thanks again! I see you're from CA. We are finally getting some cooler weather. Last week (113 in LA) would have been a great week for a cruise. To bad work got in my way.

Have you ever gone to the port and watched the Splendor sailaway?

Hey all,

Very informative thread on the splendor!! My dad was curious (out of all things to care about on a cruise) what size were the flat screen television in the staterooms?

Thanks,

i dont know for sure, but from pics ive seen id say its no bigger than a 27"

heres a pic that belongs to glrounds:

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2599195270050714934XRNCIN

Edited by cruisin_cutie

Your welcome, Hotflashn.

I'm not positive, but I think I shot those photos from either the aft part of the 10th deck (one above the Lido) or from near the bow where the navigation wing sticks out further than the balconies do. I wish I could be certain, but I can't. Sorry.:(

Thanks Gary, its all good. We looked at overhead satellite pics and think we know the general area which is not near us. Who cares, really! If someone or Google catches us on the balcony I am sure we will (hopefully) be unindentifiable! Repeat: who cares? Thanks though. I will be mindful about what may be occuring on my balcony and who may be in eyesight. Mom is on the 10th deck!

Thanks again for the awesome photo-journal. Wish you were on our cruise!

My family and I will be on the Splendor in Feb. 2011 and I'm trying to figure out airfare I'm wondering what the soonest flight I should book to go home? What time do you normally get off the boat? Is is faster to get off and bring your own luggage with you? We are going to try and book our airfare thru Long Beach but worse case it will be thru Orange County. It will be my hubby, me and our three daughters. Any help will be greatly appreciated:)

My family and I will be on the Splendor in Feb. 2011 and I'm trying to figure out airfare I'm wondering what the soonest flight I should book to go home? What time do you normally get off the boat? Is is faster to get off and bring your own luggage with you? We are going to try and book our airfare thru Long Beach but worse case it will be thru Orange County. It will be my hubby, me and our three daughters. Any help will be greatly appreciated:)

I would guess[operative word] that you'll be off the SPLENDOR by 11:00am at the latest. Yes, self-debark is faster, IMHO. You can also take your plane tickets to the Purser and get an early debark if the flight times warrant it. :)

Although the Long Beach airport will be closer, Orange County and LAX are only about 30-45 min. away. (e.g., I live further away from the port and I can do it in 30 minutes on a Sunday morning)The dreaded 405 should be relatively tame at that time of a Sunday morning.:rolleyes:

One of the best embarkation ports there is, IMHO. Enjoy your cruise. :)

Edited by glrounds

Thanks soo much, I showed him the picture and said your gona be on vacation, don't worry about TV at sea!

I don't know what your tv requirements are, but I used the tv ONLY to check my Sail'n'Sign account. I'm usually solo, so I have no real reason to hangout in the cabin. :)

Thank you both. I just love how everyone on CC is so nice, always ready with a helpful answer. It sounds like a great location to me, hot tub with rotisserie close by. Is there a bar in this area? I must have my diet soda. :D

No, no bars on deck 10, however, in dominichunter's description of deck 10, there are bars below over the balcony overlooking the middle pool and an aft bar on the Lido one deck below you from the aft of deck 10. There is, however, bar "service" on these decks, especially the aft part of deck 10.

Incidentally, I think there is part of deck 10 far forward (maybe deck 11) a SERENITY area with a small bar on the Starboard side. I seldom saw anyone there though. Kind of remote and away from the "action", but I'm guessing an ideal place to have a quiet drink and read. :)