All Things Splendor

I've tried to skim the entire thread for some input but still have a few questions. We're likely on Splendor for Spring Break 2011 as it is how our airfare options worked best. Should be fun. Never done Mexican Riv.

I'd appreciate your comments on a few things:

- flying into Burbank as that's the only place we could use our Frequent Flyer credits. I remember Super Shuttle from my travels to Calf. Transportation suggestions from Burbank to Long Beach, hotels, etc? We're flying in the day before.

- heard about cool weather first 36 hours of cruise. We'll be traveling lin late March. Comments.

- have access to an Upper Deck aft Balcony. That's right above the rear showroom. We'll get a standard balcony otherwise. Thoughts about noise, location.

I appreciate all the input from left coast regulars. Have a great day. :)

I've tried to skim the entire thread for some input but still have a few questions. We're likely on Splendor for Spring Break 2011 as it is how our airfare options worked best. Should be fun. Never done Mexican Riv.

I'd appreciate your comments on a few things:

- flying into Burbank as that's the only place we could use our Frequent Flyer credits. I remember Super Shuttle from my travels to Calf. Transportation suggestions from Burbank to Long Beach, hotels, etc? We're flying in the day before.

Super Shuttle will most likely be your best bet. You'll be a little further from the port (Long Beach) than LAX, so your fare may be a little more, but shouldn't be a lot more. (you'll be landing just a few miles from where I live):)

There are many nice hotels in downtown Long Beach - Westin, Renaissance, Hyatt, all close to Shoreline Village with excellent bars and restaurants. A FREE shuttle will also take you all over downtown Long Beach. A great Aquarian nearby also. I think most of the hotels will shuttle you FREE to the SPLENDOR, which will be right across the harbor next to that grand ole gal, The QUEEN MARY. You can also stay on the QUEEN, now a popular hotel and local diner/date attraction. I'm not sure, but I believe the rates are very reasonable (around $100) and for anyone interested in either sailing or history, this is a terrific place to spend your 1st night. In the morning just walk "next door" and board the SPLENDOR. :D

- heard about cool weather first 36 hours of cruise. We'll be traveling lin late March. Comments.

Yes, around noon of the 2nd day at sea you'll be going by Los Cabos and the weather will be noticeably warmer. Depending on the local weather at the time, the 1st day will still be easily tolerable just not ideal for a day in the sun and tanning. This also applies to the last day at sea on your return.:)

- have access to an Upper Deck aft Balcony. That's right above the rear showroom. We'll get a standard balcony otherwise. Thoughts about noise, location.

Sorry, can't help much. Have only cruised a balcony once.(PRIDE) :(

I appreciate all the input from left coast regulars. Have a great day. :)

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by glrounds

They are on deck 10 - one deck up from the deck 9 part of the Lido deck. They are in the middle of the ship above the middle pool and the big screen TV.

Welcome back from your cruise! I saw your cruise journal and you did a great job. Speaking of the big screen, do you remember what movies they were showing?

Welcome back from your cruise! I saw your cruise journal and you did a great job. Speaking of the big screen, do you remember what movies they were showing?

I have the Fun times so this is what was posted in there for our cruise:

During the day, they had John Heald's morning show (Live) 9 am

This tended to also be at 4 or 5pm on port days

Music videos/concerts

The movies in the evenings tended to run 7:30pm & repeated at 10:30pm

Sunday (embarkation) OLD DOGS 7:45pm & 10:30pm

Monday (sea day) I do not see anything playing on the screen formally in the Funtimes

Tuesday: (sea day) BLIND SIDE 6pm They also had the deck party later on so there would be light shows and music in it during that

Wednesday (Puerto Vallarta) 1:30pm Concert: Jonas Brothers

5:00pm concert: Alicia Keys

Thursday (Mazatlan): 1:00pm & 5:00pm concert: Paul McCartney

IT'S COMPLICATED 7:30pm & 10:30pm

Friday (Cabo San Lucas): Concert at 9:30 am; 12 noon - Celine Dion

SATURDAY (sea Day) Concert 5:00pm - Miles Davis

UP IN THE AIR - 8:30pm & 10:30pm

on sea days what was the temperatures like? what was the high on the ship say the first few days??

I see you are from Spokane and we are from upstate NY (also cold country)

We found it nice weather - a sweater/sweatshirt/light jacket would not hurt. The ports were very hot and humid. I did not think it was cold at all but then it has already snowed where we live so we tend not to feel the cold much as someone who lives in the south. The splendor has many from California onboard and I really think they are not used to the cold like we are in the north. I think that accounts for some of the "it was freezing" posts and reviews. Many claimed it was too cold to swim in the pools but we swim in the St Lawrence river and the middle of summer it gets up to 55 degrees so we did not find the water too cold at all and it was much warmer than we are used to.

We just returned - sailed the October 3rd - October 10th Carnival Mexican Riviera 7 day cruise out of Long Beach stopping in Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas. It was myself, my hubby, our twin girls who are 5 1/2 and my inlaws.

We stayed in rm 9230 on the lido deck with a balcony and loved the room!

We had a fabulous time and Camp Carnvial was great too!

Here is a link to our photo journal and notes about our excursion experiences:

http://carnival************october2010.shutterfly.com/

We did the dolphin signature swim in Purto Vallarta (in Nuevo Vallarta through Vallarta Adventures).

In Mazatlan, we did the horse back riding at La Playa Bruja through Ginger's Bilingual Horses with lunch on the beach.

In Cabo, we did the Yellow Submarine and did our shopping at the open air market - que divertido!

I wasn't able to access your link. How did you like the Cabo Yellow Submarine excursion? Thanks

Can't wait to see the Ship. We sail on her 11/21/10. Colorado Beach Bums Cruising Mexico, here we come.

We will be on the splendor 11/28/10 Hope you have a great time. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how far a walk it is to the shops from the ship while in the ports? My Mom has trouble walking long distances.

I have the Fun times so this is what was posted in there for our cruise:

During the day, they had John Heald's morning show (Live) 9 am

This tended to also be at 4 or 5pm on port days

Music videos/concerts

The movies in the evenings tended to run 7:30pm & repeated at 10:30pm

Sunday (embarkation) OLD DOGS 7:45pm & 10:30pm

Monday (sea day) I do not see anything playing on the screen formally in the Funtimes

Tuesday: (sea day) BLIND SIDE 6pm They also had the deck party later on so there would be light shows and music in it during that

Wednesday (Puerto Vallarta) 1:30pm Concert: Jonas Brothers

5:00pm concert: Alicia Keys

Thursday (Mazatlan): 1:00pm & 5:00pm concert: Paul McCartney

IT'S COMPLICATED 7:30pm & 10:30pm

Friday (Cabo San Lucas): Concert at 9:30 am; 12 noon - Celine Dion

SATURDAY (sea Day) Concert 5:00pm - Miles Davis

UP IN THE AIR - 8:30pm & 10:30pm

Thank you!

I think in Matzatlan, the ship pulls right up to the dock, & the shops are only about a block from the ship (I use a walker, so I can relate). From there, you go through the center to the Plaza, where you can get a tour bus.

Thank you so much for the post she was really worried about being able to go into the ports but is sounds like she will be able to go into Mazatlan. Do you know how far the shops are from the ship in Puerto Vallarta?

We will be on the splendor 11/28/10 Hope you have a great time. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how far a walk it is to the shops from the ship while in the ports? My Mom has trouble walking long distances.

I think in Matzatlan, the ship pulls right up to the dock, & the shops are only about a block from the ship (I use a walker, so I can relate). From there, you go through the center to the Plaza, where you can get a tour bus.

This information is a year old, so I would gladly stand corrected.:rolleyes:

Mazatlan is a commercial port. The ship ties up to a commercial dock. Trams (think Disneyland) take the paxs from the ship to a little gifts, momentos, trinkets, excursion purchasing, drinks area with small shops near the gate to leave the port area. But, the major shops of downtown Mazatlan would require a taxi or van to take one there.:)

This information is a year old, so I would gladly stand corrected.:rolleyes:

Mazatlan is a commercial port. The ship ties up to a commercial dock. Trams (think Disneyland) take the paxs from the ship to a little gifts, momentos, trinkets, excursion purchasing, drinks area with small shops near the gate to leave the port area. But, the major shops of downtown Mazatlan would require a taxi or van to take one there.:)

Thank you for the post any info is appreciated.

Thank you so much for the post she was really worried about being able to go into the ports but is sounds like she will be able to go into Mazatlan. Do you know how far the shops are from the ship in Puerto Vallarta?

In PV you will need to take either a Taxi or Bus to the Malecon for the shops. Don't take the "White" taxis parked closest to the ship. Walk outside the gate and get a "Yellow" taxi for about $5 to downtown. Their is a bus stop in the area and that is like 50 cents. Quick and easy.

In PV you will need to take either a Taxi or Bus to the Malecon for the shops. Don't take the "White" taxis parked closest to the ship. Walk outside the gate and get a "Yellow" taxi for about $5 to downtown. Their is a bus stop in the area and that is like 50 cents. Quick and easy.

Thank you for all of the great advice.

Why not the "White" taxi? How far is it to the Malecon? Thanks!

I wasn't able to access your link. How did you like the Cabo Yellow Submarine excursion? Thanks

take out the spaces of this link- - -

http : // carnival cruise mexico october 2010 . shutterfly . com

We enjoyed the yellow sub - we HAD to book through the ship which at first I was disappointed since it'd be much less to do directly. However after reading sometimes the ship can't tender I figured the guarantee if no port/no pay would be worth it. It was right at the dock where the tender boat arrived so I was glad we booked the early time. (I wouldn't have wanted to exit the dock area and go a short distance just to come back for the yellow sub) Also the early time was less full so we could go back and forth in the hull and see both sides. My kids and inlaws enjoyed it and it was good overall - not fabulous or awesome - but glad we did it for sure. Afterwards since the shopping area is so close to the dock, we walked towards downtown. There is a bathroom area for cruise ship passengers near the dock and we were grateful for that too :) We hadn't gotten a chance to shop really at the other ports, we were glad to find an open market/vendor area where we could practice our Spanish and bargain for our souveniers - our favorite was a hand painted tile of los arcos de cabo with the cruise ship in the background and we asked him to paint in 2 dolphins jumping out of the ocean since we had done the dolphin swim in puerto vallarta - and he did :) Walked back to the ship afterwards - no need for a taxi in Cabo.

Probably because the "white" taxis are vans and one must wait for a few minutes until the driver can fill the van. I never had to "wait" very long, however. These tend to be cheaper than a private taxi. I'm guessing $3. I was SOLO so I did this. If you can get 2 or more people in a taxi it would be cheaper.

As another poster noted, one can go out to the "main drag", a couple hundred yards, and catch a bus to the downtown area (last time for me it was the equivalent of 30 cents). You can ask any one of the locals waiting for the bus which one goes downtown (most of them do). There is always someone who speaks English that is more than willing to help. :)

Edited by glrounds

The "White" Taxi's charge a Port Tax. If there are four of you and it's $3 each it would cost you $12. Walk a couple hundred feet and get all four for $5. We visit PV every year (land based) and we prefer the bus. It's a quick, easy and a lot of fun, an adventure in it self!

It's about 7 miles to the Malecon from the ship.

Probably because the "white" taxis are vans and one must wait for a few minutes until the driver can fill the van. I never had to "wait" very long, however. These tend to be cheaper than a private taxi. I'm guessing $3. I was SOLO so I did this. If you can get 2 or more people in a taxi it would be cheaper.

As another poster noted, one can go out to the "main drag", a couple hundred yards, and catch a bus to the downtown area (last time for me it was the equivalent of 30 cents). You can ask any one of the locals waiting for the bus which one goes downtown (most of them do). There is always someone who speaks English that is more than willing to help. :)

The "White" Taxi's charge a Port Tax. If there are four of you and it's $3 each it would cost you $12. Walk a couple hundred feet and get all four for $5. We visit PV every year (land based) and we prefer the bus. It's a quick, easy and a lot of fun, an adventure in it self!

It's about 7 miles to the Malecon from the ship.

Thank you both!

I read somewhere that the Big Screen Movies had changed (there was a list of new movies) but now I can't find it. Does anyone know how often they change the movies? I know it sounds silly but I'm really looking forward to watching movies under the stars. I've never been on a ship with the big screen. I wanted to show the list to one of my friends who will be on the Splendor with me. The Splendor will be his FIRST cruise! I hope he loves it!!!