All Things Splendor

My friends and I were booked on one of the Splendor cruises that were cancelled due to the fire. We are now thinking about booking a Splendor curise again, maybe for this December. Does anyone know if everything is the same on the Splendor as it was before the fire? Are the food areas, shows and deck parties still the same or have things changed?

Also, we are looking at an OV stateroom and I noticed that the rooms are on the bottom two decks. I usually stay on the Empress deck and the last time we were booked on this ship we had booked a balcony room. Has anyone reading this stayed in an OV stateroom on the Splendor? How did you like it?

When our cruise was cancelled we switched over to a February cruise on the Spirit. I went on a whale watching boat in Cabo, which I loved! Does anyone know if I would still be able to see the whales in early December?

Thank you all so much for your help!

My friends and I were booked on one of the Splendor cruises that were cancelled due to the fire. We are now thinking about booking a Splendor curise again, maybe for this December. Does anyone know if everything is the same on the Splendor as it was before the fire? Are the food areas, shows and deck parties still the same or have things changed?

Also, we are looking at an OV stateroom and I noticed that the rooms are on the bottom two decks. I usually stay on the Empress deck and the last time we were booked on this ship we had booked a balcony room. Has anyone reading this stayed in an OV stateroom on the Splendor? How did you like it?

When our cruise was cancelled we switched over to a February cruise on the Spirit. I went on a whale watching boat in Cabo, which I loved! Does anyone know if I would still be able to see the whales in early December?

I was on the Splendor last year in March and on one this last May. As far as I can tell everything is the same.

We stayed in Cabin 2408 and liked it, we weren't very far from the elevator to go up to the buffet or to go up to smoke on deck 10. Would walk down the hall to the other elevators depending on where we were wanting to go. I did like this cabin, on our cruise last year we had an aft wrap but I was fine with the oceanview. It was roomy enough, we had two adults and two tweens in there. There is a couch (ours was always made out for the bed), a chair and also a stool for the vanity area. Plenty of storage space. You just don't have the balcony.

One thing which concerned us on our first day, we smelled a strong burnt odor at one time, I believe the galley was on top of us. Once in a while we could hear something being rolled across the floor. The smell was just for awhile on one day and the other noises didn't happen that often. Something to consider when booking your cabin location.

IMG_0344.jpg.3b6d9d6034230d8b66e4c2c74a24ebb7.jpg

I was on the Splendor last year in March and on one this last May. As far as I can tell everything is the same.

We stayed in Cabin 2408 and liked it, we weren't very far from the elevator to go up to the buffet or to go up to smoke on deck 10. Would walk down the hall to the other elevators depending on where we were wanting to go. I did like this cabin, on our cruise last year we had an aft wrap but I was fine with the oceanview. It was roomy enough, we had two adults and two tweens in there. There is a couch (ours was always made out for the bed), a chair and also a stool for the vanity area. Plenty of storage space. You just don't have the balcony.

One thing which concerned us on our first day, we smelled a strong burnt odor at one time, I believe the galley was on top of us. Once in a while we could hear something being rolled across the floor. The smell was just for awhile on one day and the other noises didn't happen that often. Something to consider when booking your cabin location.

Thank you Cim. After having the balcony cabin on the Spirit (extended aft), I'm having a hard time going back to OV or inside. My friend would be fine with an inside. I looked at the deck plan and I like the location of your cabin. I think I will start looking for an OV in that same area.

How was the food on Splendor? Have any favorites?

Thanks again for your help!

We were also booked on the Splendor just before the fire. We ended up on the Spirit and loved the cruise to Southern Mexico. Went to three ports that were new to us and got an extra day of cruising:D.

My question is: I have heard rumors that because of the fire, Carnival is providing us folks that got bumped because of the fire a 25% discount on a future cruise. We are thinking about a cruise to Hawaii and that discount would really help. Has anyone been able to get this discount?

we were booked on the Splendor during a hurricane detour & they gave us the discount, plus OBC. we were able to apply it to a previously booked Paradise cruise, which really helped.

Thanks for the fast reply. Was the discount 25%?

We were also booked on the Splendor just before the fire. We ended up on the Spirit and loved the cruise to Southern Mexico. Went to three ports that were new to us and got an extra day of cruising:D.

My question is: I have heard rumors that because of the fire, Carnival is providing us folks that got bumped because of the fire a 25% discount on a future cruise. We are thinking about a cruise to Hawaii and that discount would really help. Has anyone been able to get this discount?

When you ended up on the Spirit were you price protected? We were cancelled twice. The first time we were cancelled, Carnival rebooked us on a later Splendor cruise. The second time we were cancelled, we were price protected and moved to the Spirit so we did not receive the 25% off of a future cruise discount. It also depended on if you were originally booked before the Splendor fire and not after (2nd round of cancellations). I hope this helps.

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser

When you ended up on the Spirit were you price protected? We were cancelled twice. The first time we were cancelled, Carnival rebooked us on a later Splendor cruise. The second time we were cancelled, we were price protected and moved to the Spirit so we did not receive the 25% off of a future cruise discount. It also depended on if you were originally booked before the Splendor fire and not after (2nd round of cancellations). I hope this helps.

As soon as I heard there had been an engine room fire I knew there was big trouble. So I called our TA and had her move us to the Spirit. That was the first day of the fire. Seems the folks at Carnival reservations didn't have a clue. I talked to them before I called our TA. Anyway, everything worked out for the best. Think I will call Carnival on Monday and see if we can get the discount on the Hawaii cruise. Thanks for all the info.

Thank you Cim. After having the balcony cabin on the Spirit (extended aft), I'm having a hard time going back to OV or inside. My friend would be fine with an inside. I looked at the deck plan and I like the location of your cabin. I think I will start looking for an OV in that same area.

How was the food on Splendor? Have any favorites?

Thanks again for your help!

Your welcome.

After the aft wrap, I thought oh no, I have been spoiled but like I said the oceanview was fine. I just went with the attitude of, better an OV than no cruise at all. :)

I always found something good to eat. On the buffet they had these yummy calamari fritters, I dipped them in a jerk sauce and loved them.

On the chocolate buffet, my favorite was the rice pudding and I am a big chocolate fan.

In the main dining room, the veal parmigiana, I thought this was the best I had in the dining room. Of course desserts, warm chocolate melting cake, banana splits and cappuccinos.

Hopefully soon I will be booking a cruise.

I did just notice one of the ships on another line has marked down their 14 day Christmas Hawaiian cruise for this year. Now that is a great cruise.

Have fun!

Your welcome.

I did just notice one of the ships on another line has marked down their 14 day Christmas Hawaiian cruise for this year. Now that is a great cruise.

Have fun!

What cruiseline would that be?? We usually cruise over New Year but may mix it up if the price is right. Thanks!

As soon as I heard there had been an engine room fire I knew there was big trouble. So I called our TA and had her move us to the Spirit. That was the first day of the fire. Seems the folks at Carnival reservations didn't have a clue. I talked to them before I called our TA. Anyway, everything worked out for the best. Think I will call Carnival on Monday and see if we can get the discount on the Hawaii cruise. Thanks for all the info.

You're welcome. Good Luck!

Your welcome.

After the aft wrap, I thought oh no, I have been spoiled but like I said the oceanview was fine. I just went with the attitude of, better an OV than no cruise at all. :)

I always found something good to eat. On the buffet they had these yummy calamari fritters, I dipped them in a jerk sauce and loved them.

On the chocolate buffet, my favorite was the rice pudding and I am a big chocolate fan.

In the main dining room, the veal parmigiana, I thought this was the best I had in the dining room. Of course desserts, warm chocolate melting cake, banana splits and cappuccinos.

Have fun!

Book it!!! It sounds wonderful! :)

What cruiseline would that be?? We usually cruise over New Year but may mix it up if the price is right. Thanks!

I received a brochure, upon further reading, the fine print :o I'm not so sure of the price drop on Sapphire Princess, Dec 17, 2011. There is also the Golden, I thought she had dropped but no. They both sail over Christmas. I still think the prices are fairly good on these cruises, thinking of what you get and where you go.

If you take the Golden you can do both Christmas and New Years on the ship :)

We're sailing on the Splendor February 5, 2012, so I'm happy to have found this thread! I'm sure I'll have questions and am looking forward to reading more of the thread, but I need to mark my place (page 8) so I can come back and finish reading it. ;)

Thanks for all the info! We sail out July 24th, I just booked the steak house the first night, Is there a way to find out the current activities?

Here's a link to the Splendor Fun Times schedule for last week:

http://johnhealdsblog.com/funtimes/2011-07-14/

Also some good generic info here:

http://johnhealdsblog.com

Up to page 19 :)

Why not just open the thread in a new browser window/tab and keep that one open to where you're at? Then, as you read the back posts, it will continue to update for you and you'll never lose your place. Then you won't have to post in the thread and make us think there is a new post.

Thanks for all the info! We sail out July 24th, I just booked the steak house the first night, Is there a way to find out the current activities?

Heads up! It looks like Hurricane Dora is churning the waters.

Speaking of which, does anyone know where Carnival Splendor is now? The webcams are down. I'd guess that she's probably halfway home headed to either Ensenada or San Diego.

Have cruised the SPLENDOR before the fire and after the fire. No noticeable difference to me. Really didn't like the itinerary being screwed up, however, with Mazatlan out of the loop.

Always booked an inside cabin so sorry can't help you there.

On the way to Cabo you probably won't see many whales, but around Cabo and up into the Sea of Cortez there should be many whales as they spend the winter here having babies and prepping for the long journey north to Alaska in the Spring.

Have cruised the SPLENDOR before the fire and after the fire. No noticeable difference to me. Really didn't like the itinerary being screwed up, however, with Mazatlan out of the loop.

Always booked an inside cabin so sorry can't help you there.

On the way to Cabo you probably won't see many whales, but around Cabo and up into the Sea of Cortez there should be many whales as they spend the winter here having babies and prepping for the long journey north to Alaska in the Spring.

Thank you for your reply. I'm glad nothing has changed on the Splendor.

I'm happy to say that I finally booked the Splendor again! This is my 3rd time booking, maybe I will actually get on the ship this time. The only sad part is that we are going in October so I don't think I will see any whales this trip. I really love whale watching.

I booked stateroom 2470 and it looks pretty large on the deckplans. Do you know anything about this room? I wish I could find some pictures of it.

Thanks again.