All Things Splendor

We got to the port at 11:30 or so and were in zone 4, we were on board at 1:05. By the time they were loading zone 4, the line to check in was quite long.

If you get there early enough, I am sure you can get zone 1 check in, but you will still need to wait until they start boarding.

I've been wondering about this because both times I've sailed on the Paradise out of the same port the first days fun times had activities listed starting at 11:30am but my paperwork always said you can't check in until 1:30. I think I even saw a sign at the port that said the same thing.

Ok...so I've signed up on Photobucket and put my Fun Times pages on there. Check it out and let me know how it works.

http://s997.photobucket.com/albums/af96/brian2204/Splendor%20June%202010/

I usually take a few more pics than you do, Brian, but I like the format (your pics put over the cover of FUN TIMES) with the notes on the events your participated in. Very good. :)

Gary...I have a question....did you give Randi (and/or staff) any additional monetary tip in addition to the per person fee? Seems like it would be the same as any other 'service' provided...just wondering.

...thanks for sharing =)

As I recall, Karen, I slipped $5 or $10 to the "cowboy" that spent the most time riding with Brett and myself. You could hand tips to any of the numerous employees that go along with you. They are very helpful in taking pics, directions, equipment problems, etc.

I can't speak for Mexican culture, but its considered an insult to tip an owner of a company or business in our country (bar, club, restuarant, etc.). However, you may want to give Randi something extra and state its for the employees. I'm sure she would make sure they received them.:)

Edited by glrounds

glrounds....oh believe me I took TONS more pix than what you see on those pages. Those were just to give the feel of what we did and saw.

midmarv - if you're able to pull up my pix from photobucket, check out the first sea day. There's a pic of the Aft Lido Adult Pool

For my complete review, follow the link in my signature.

Thank you SOOOOO much for posting the link to your review and the link to the pictures on Picassa! WOW!! Can't believe there were over 300 pictures taken and posted. Can't wait 'till I get to see all of that in person! :D

My biggest question is wondering who the Piano Bar Player will be for that sailing. I now Ron Pass is on there in June, but not sure who will be replacing him. I keep checking the updated list of piano players, but no info so far. If anyone going in the next month or after gets any intel, please let us know!

Misty

Hey Misty! I was checking this out too - not sure if anyone replied to you b/c I have limited time on here today, but it's Patrick Lent or Lenk? I hate that Ron isn't going to be the pianist - I adore him and have sailed with him before. Was sad he wasn't going to be on the Splendor when I'm on in September. Patrick is supposed to be there through the end of the year last I saw (saw this on Facebook - there's a fan page for Piano Barbarians.) :)

Hope that helps! Haven't been able to find any reviews on him though. I'll finish reading this thread later on and see if anyone has said anything either way.

Thanks everyone for your great info! Angie

midmarv - if you're able to pull up my pix from photobucket, check out the first sea day. There's a pic of the Aft Lido Adult Pool

I do see it. Thank you!. :) Yikes, I hate a busy pool, but then what was I expecting?!?

Will you be posting all the pages of the Fun Times, by chance?? :D

midimarv - Those files were created as part of one file to share with friends and family.

If you are talking about the insides...I can do that but it will be a few days.

It's very creative the way you did them and thanks so much for sharing them with all of us.

I can patiently wait a few days--we don't sail until August 22. :D It's reviews like yours that keep building my anticipation. Can't wait to set my foot on the deck. Sigh

The capers from our cruise in January are in my signature, not sure if they will be like the "fun times" or not, but probably the same book with a different cover...

I did look at yours, Jeff, when I enjoyed your review. :D But, since they're from eight months before our sailing and we'll have a different CD and different piano entertainer in the piano bar and different movies, etc, I'm looking forward to seeing some more recent ones. Can't get enough! :D

brian, thanks for your very detailed review. i'll be on the splendor in dec and am really grateful for all the reviews, picture and videos posted. and thanks to the op for this thread also.

You're welcome, I really enjoy this thread. I see that you will be on the Splendor in December. So will I! I can't wait.

call us crazy but dh, dd11 and I are planning what we want for lunch on our cruise. By the way our cruise isnt until jan 2 , 2011-lol!

DD said she wants a grilled cheese from the deli station. I told her not sure if its open. Anyone know what time it will be opened? On paradise it was open in the evening we always went after 10pm.

dh said he doesnt want any burritos on a cruise. I told him its a variety of stuff He said he'd make nachos from the salsa and stuff. I know on lido they have chips and cheese but could be get cardne asada, sour cream etc from burrito station? His choice is Magnolian grill. Once was enough for me.

I didnt get to try a hamburger or hotdog so its between one of those or burrito station or maybe rotesirre .hhmmmm lol!

Does the rotesirre just have chicken, any sides or other stuff?

call us crazy but dh, dd11 and I are planning what we want for lunch on our cruise. By the way our cruise isnt until jan 2 , 2011-lol!

DD said she wants a grilled cheese from the deli station. I told her not sure if its open. Anyone know what time it will be opened? On paradise it was open in the evening we always went after 10pm.

dh said he doesnt want any burritos on a cruise. I told him its a variety of stuff He said he'd make nachos from the salsa and stuff. I know on lido they have chips and cheese but could be get cardne asada, sour cream etc from burrito station? His choice is Magnolian grill. Once was enough for me.

I didnt get to try a hamburger or hotdog so its between one of those or burrito station or maybe rotesirre .hhmmmm lol!

Does the rotesirre just have chicken, any sides or other stuff?

I also think of lunch on the first day too. My choice is the double meat n double cheese reuben from the deli....YUM! The rotisserie has really good mac n cheese, and I think they may have potatoes too.

I also think of lunch on the first day too. My choice is the double meat n double cheese reuben from the deli....YUM! The rotisserie has really good mac n cheese, and I think they may have potatoes too.

I'm not a big mac n cheese person but when i read your post it sure sounded good-lol! Sounds like the deli is open for lunch -cool!

Great reviews and information from Brian. Keep it coming. I also posted a review from our cruise last August. Dated 8/2009 on the Splendor.

Some things not in the review, but worth mentioning are: bring a shoe organizer, hang it on your wall. We used it to store virtually anything that would fit and it was always at hand. bungee cord for keeping the balcony door open. hilighter for marking your carnival capers. suction cups with small hooks for hanging hats on your mirror. small collapsable cooler and tell your steward to keep it full of ice.

really liked the deck above the lido pool with the tucked away hot tubs. get there early to keep the kids out. really enjoyed the frozen yogurt. get a monkeyhead and use the booze you smuggle on to keep it filled.

have a great cruise. we are heading back in October and have the exact same two cabins we had last year. what are the odds?

Aloha,

Mark and Angela

we are heading back in October and have the exact same two cabins we had last year. what are the odds?

Aloha,

Mark and Angela

Are they balcony cabins? If so, how did you open the balcony partition? Once open, did it lay against the wall or did the cabin steward take it away?

Thanks!

There was a cooking demo in the Pinnacle at 12:30 p.m. that I made sure to attend.

Great review Brian. On the Splendor August 1st.

Did you have to reserve a spot for this demo or just show up? And, is it posted in the Fun Times?

Hi All,

Considering the 7 day cruise on the 5th June next year.

Is this time "peak". And would we expect a lot of under 21 yo passengers.

Would you expect the cruise to be full at this time of year

We are coming from Australia so just need to know what to expect etc.

Thanks Mark

Hi All,

Considering the 7 day cruise on the 5th June next year.

Is this time "peak". And would we expect a lot of under 21 yo passengers.

Would you expect the cruise to be full at this time of year

We are coming from Australia so just need to know what to expect etc.

Thanks Mark

We did the 6/7/09 cruise on the Splendor last year, and there were a lot of under 21 yo passengers celebrating graduation. If I remember correctly, the Splendor did not have one empty cabin that cruise. Of course, this was during the Swine Flu reroute to Canada so the fares were rock bottom. Although, many had already booked the cruise before the fares dropped. I believe that this will be "peak" time.