NCL STAR not a ship for Alaska cruising.

furluvcats

We just got off the NCL STAR's repositioning cruise from LA to ALaska, ending in Vancouver. I can not stress enough to chose and think carefully before booking this ship to Alaska.

Having moved the Spinnaker Lounge to an interior, there is NO INSIDE viewing for Alaska to keep you out of the elements. The pool area also does not enclose for a warm windfree pool deck. These are two very important elements to consider before booking an Alaskan cruise. The pool deck didnt open on our sailing until the final cruising day to Vancouver, as it was too cold, windy and rough seas.

IMO the cruise staff could have done alot more in the way of fun indoor activities. There just wasn't much to do, and we had 4 sea days on our sailing.

If you haven't already booked on the Star for alaska, I reccomend that you check out other ships for this vacation. Even though the price was right for us, we wish we had chosen more wisely for Alaska.

The Star is our favorite ship so I am sorry you were disappointed in your cruise. I am one that thinks it was a mistake for them to move Spinnaker. As in your thread, this will probably have more of an impact on Alaskan cruises than any others. I just hope the extra revenue they get from the new staterooms they placed where Spinnakers used to be makes up for the inside cabins that will not book because of such limited inside viewing areas.

Did they actually have the pool deck where you couldn't access it? like have the doors locked, etc? Or did you mean the pool itself was not available except on the last day of the cruise.

One last comment from me.. (well for now anyway.. LOL). NCL has never been known for having a lot of activites to keep you busy. Some people are glad of that, some people wish they had more. You are much better going with Carnival if ship activites are your thing.

I can not stress enough to chose and think carefully before booking this ship to Alaska.

Shouldn't you choose and think carefully before booking ANY ship to ANY location? I can't see why this would be any different.

I think OP's point is well taken - if you thought you would be able to get great views from Spinnaker Lounge that has been moved to the inside of the ship, you are going to be disappointed - especially in bad weather. That is why for both Alaska cruises we have done we got a balcony - we think it is worth the extra money to be able to get outside to view, pictures, etc. Sort of our little insurance policy if you have bad weather and can't stand to be outside in the cold for long periods.

When we first read here they were doing away with the Spinnaker our first thoughts were the lose of a great inside viewing area for Alaska and the increase in table hogging at the window seats in the Market Cafe!

I had a great cruise on the Star in 05 on the Mexican Riviera...at that time of course the Spinnaker was forward above the bridge...that was one of our favorite things about the ship then...and the indoor spa area rivaled no other...also at that time there was no charge for using the spa facilities...so we had expectations from a previous sailing and were dissappointed that things had changed. Yes, carnival is fun, but we prefer the activities on Princess and HAL...

THE POINT of this thread was to inform others that there are better suited ships to sail Alaska on =).

This is a very valid point! I am sorry you had crummy weather which exacerbated the situation. When we took our Alaska cruise a few years back we ended up switching from our original ship for that exact reason. The Radiance of the Seas was a perfect ship for an Alaska sailing due to the many expansive windows and her beautiful solarium area. We were very happy that we made the switch. Even though I prefer NCL for most things, I would most likely choose a Radiance class or a similar ship for another Alaska sailing.

I appreciate the information, we have only been on one cruise to Alaska on the Radiance of the Seas several years ago in August and in almost every port it poured down rain and our excursions got cancelled. I look back at our pictures now and think I would like to go again someday, but you can't control Mother Nature and it's hard for me to spend the money and take the chance again. Furluvcats sorry your cruise had bad weather I know that can really put a damper on your vacation.

THE POINT of this thread was to inform others that there are better suited ships to sail Alaska on =).

Point well taken and I agree. Taking away an enclosed forward observation area to make room for suites to accomodate a few special people and then positioning that ship in an environment like Alaska may be the dumbest thing NCL has ever done. IMO it's like taking the pools off of a ship that sails the Caribbean.

I know it's all about profit, but it still makes no sense to me to put profit over customer satisfaction.

I feel sorry for the people that board this ship unaware of the "improvements" from the drydock.

I loved my Alaska cruise on the Star in 2008 and the Spinnaker was our favorite viewing area. Now that they changed it we will be sure to book the Pearl next time unless they change theirs also.

I'm sorry you were disappointed with your cruise. I can see how moving Spinnakers will disappoint many people. We have had a mini suite on the Star and Courtyard Villa on the Pearl on our 2 Alaska cruises so we have been able to go out on our balcony to enjoy the view. So the Spinnaker thing I understand for the many people that have inside cabins and want a warm dry place to view the beautiful scenery.

But it is very easy to determine that the pool is an outdoor pool with very little research. Also, you are going to Alaska in VERY early May. Did you expect it to be good weather? Beautiful weather has happened in May the last 2 years (once the week before we sailed and the other the week after...sigh). But that was late May. Another thing I noticed is your itinerary goes quite a ways out to sea. That makes it much more likely you will have rough water. The price was also very very low. I wish you luck finding another cruiseline with that same itinerary at anywhere close to that price. For us, we LOVE freestyle and it is a bonus that it is also the lowest price cruise line going to Alaska.

I do hope you find a ship you are happy with for Alaska cruising (the Pearl is a beautiful ship). The relocating of Spinnakers definately changes the idea of going up to Alaska on the Star for many and I think NCL may end up regretting that decision.

The Star was our favorite ship. We've been on her four times.

Even though we usually book a balcony, the Spinnaker was a great place to relax and watch the world go by. Now, with the Spinnaker and the cigar lounge gone, I don't think we'll ever sail her again. NCL managed to rip out two of my favorite places on her.

Guess that makes the Spirit my new favorite NCL ship. :D

Point well taken and I agree. Taking away an enclosed forward observation area to make room for suites to accomodate a few special people and then positioning that ship in an environment like Alaska may be the dumbest thing NCL has ever done. IMO it's like taking the pools off of a ship that sails the Caribbean.

I know it's all about profit, but it still makes no sense to me to put profit over customer satisfaction.

I feel sorry for the people that board this ship unaware of the "improvements" from the drydock.

Profit is always more important than customer satisfaction, for almost any company. However, high customer satisfaction leads to profit. I've never been on the Star, but the move of the Spinnaker loung seems to be short sighted and will eventually lead to lower profits.

I fear a lot of people will have this same surprise when they board the Star. Past guests might be particularly unhappy, as they know what they're missing.

It's also the reason I'll probably never sail on the Star. Even the Norwegian Sky has a forward viewing area, and it just does little jaunts to the Bahamas!

Bit of a bizarre move on NCL's part.

But it is very easy to determine that the pool is an outdoor pool with very little research. Also, you are going to Alaska in VERY early May. Did you expect it to be good weather? Beautiful weather has happened in May the last 2 years (once the week before we sailed and the other the week after...sigh). But that was late May. Another thing I noticed is your itinerary goes quite a ways out to sea. That makes it much more likely you will have rough water. The price was also very very low. I wish you luck finding another cruiseline with that same itinerary at anywhere close to that price. For us, we LOVE freestyle and it is a bonus that it is also the lowest price cruise line going to Alaska.

It doesn't sound like the dissatisfaction was about the poor weather, or the pool or the rough conditions. It was just about the poor suitability of the Star to cater for those conditions now.

As such, it seems to be the cruise line that is at fault, not the passengers for doing the research. If everyone who does their research (and who is not in a new suite) would be dissatisfied, the issue is not about doing the research but that the line has made a stupid decision. As such, I find the advice well given.

Profit is always more important than customer satisfaction, for almost any company. However, high customer satisfaction leads to profit. I've never been on the Star, but the move of the Spinnaker loung seems to be short sighted and will eventually lead to lower profits.

Agreed.....that's what I was alluding to.:)

Anyway, I guess we will see eventually how this all pans out.

Just a note to any official NCL person who may be monitoring these boards: If you plan on removing the forward lounge on the remaining ships in the fleet, I would suggest that you start preparing for your bankruptcy hearing now.

I think the worst part is for those of us who booked before the changes were notated and then had already made final payment before we know of the changes. NCL until recently still was showing the old deck plans. All material I had was to choose between the Star and the Pearl, all things considered more equal back in January I chose the Star because it was a tad bit cheaper. If I had known it was going to be under renovations, etc at the time we will be sailing and things would be different I probably would have booked the Pearl instead. Also to the reason I didn't book the Pearl was I figured that ship comes to Florida (at the time it was unknown to me the Star would be going to Tampa). I figured I would book the Pearl sometime on a Caribbean run.

However I am on the sailing with Terry and hopefully the ship will live up to how he has raved about her. However I did continue to watch price drops and finally got my oceanview moved to a balcony I could afford which I hope will help with a outside viewing area.

As for activities, I have to say I never found Carnival to be filled with tons of activities. Oddly enough I found more interesting things to do on Princess more than anywhere else. Carnival does a lot of trivia, game show type things. Princess had different classes, drink tastings/demonstrations, cooking demonstrations, etc. I guess I don't look to be entertained every second I am on the ship, as being my vacaton sometimes during the day I just want to be able to relax and do absolutely nothing.

However my cruise is booked, and the 7 of us plan on having a fantastic time as my cruise is about the destination and having a fun week with my family.

We leave on the Star on June 5th. We booked a lower inside room because of sea sickness. I had researched the Star as we have been on several NCL cruises prior to this sailing. The information for the boat I was given (over a year ago) did not show the changes in the Spinnaker Lounge or Cigar Lounge. I booked through NCL themselves and was never given this important piece of information. Standing outside for long periods of time will be difficult due to a plate in my cervical spine which causes pain when cold for long periods of time. We usually spend a good deal of time in lounge areas with large windows. It would seem that we spent a lot of money for a disappointing cruise. My husband is booked on several excursions and my plan was to enjoy the views from inside while he hiked. I am very disappointed in my cruise consultant and NCL in general. We have been on Royal Caribbean and Carnival but our favorite cruise of all time was on the Norway - a beautiful boat that is sorely missed.:confused:

I fear a lot of people will have this same surprise when they board the Star. Past guests might be particularly unhappy, as they know what they're missing.

It's also the reason I'll probably never sail on the Star. Even the Norwegian Sky has a forward viewing area, and it just does little jaunts to the Bahamas!

Bit of a bizarre move on NCL's part.

It was a strange move, one thing though to remember, the Star is only in Alaska 4 months and the rest of the time it sails out of L.A. (soon out of Tampa) I have seen, as many have, the lack of people using Spinnaker except for the purpose mentioned. I wonder if there is a possiblity they will move her out of Alaska all together in a few years.

If I were doing Alaska right now, I would choose another ship or get a cabin with an awesome view.

Nita

Agreed.....that's what I was alluding to.:)

Anyway, I guess we will see eventually how this all pans out.

Just a note to any official NCL person who may be monitoring these boards: If you plan on removing the forward lounge on the remaining ships in the fleet, I would suggest that you start preparing for your bankruptcy hearing now.

Bankruptcy is a bit extreme, but I agree in concept. I will be on the Spirit and I am looking forward to relaxing in the Galaxy of Stars and watching the sea go by.

Bankruptcy is a bit extreme, but I agree in concept. I will be on the Spirit and I am looking forward to relaxing in the Galaxy of Stars and watching the sea go by.

Enjoy it while you can.....:D.....just kidding!

furluvcats did you notice people staying at the window tables in the buffet even more than usual?

our cruise had a group of 800 Chinese, and 300 Koreans...they pretty much stayed in the buffet and all the interior window seats amongst the ship...napping and such...the cruise staff said its a difficult cruise every year, with the extreme difference in culture and some behaviorial issues. I am not coming down on the Chinese..I am just stating that this was a bit different of a cruise because large groups tend to stay together so all the inside spaces were well crowded.

Yeah, the weather wasnt a problem for me...at all! I expected worse lol...just simply the Spinnaker being moved...we were in the owners suite with friends the majority of the time so we were fortunate enough to have a nice viewing area forward and side..

The Star was great 5 years ago for the Mexican riviera...its just not suitable for Alaska. And yes, refurbishment is still going on while it sails...

Archived