1st Room pics

ddakrt

We will have two connecting balcony cabins and I still don't see where there is room for the connecting door? Thoughts?

It takes the place of the closet space next to the balcony doors, best I can tell from drawings

From those of us who are having four in the room any idea how to sleep the 4th person? It doesn't look like the bed will pull down from the ceiling like on the Jewel and I don't think it pulls out of the wall. Ideas?

Diel

There will be a berth above the couch. We just don't have pictures of one of those rooms yet.

Epic is different. That is what makes it special and exciting. Oasis of the Seas is the largest cruise ship at sea. But their cabins are standard box style. Nothing different than any other ship. Epic has different designs that make sense and makes things look cool and larger than they really are.

I totally agree with David. This is exactly why we wanted to sail on it. We have had friends that sailed on the Oasis. While they thoroughly enjoyed the ship, they said the balcony cabins were quite smaller than other RC ships. I think they crammed so many cabins on it that it took away from the space in that respect. Grant you, you spend most of your time out and about on the ship but we LOVE our balcony! We order coffee every morning and sit out on it and just vegitate. We are early risers (not by choice..just worked too many years) so we utilize our balcony early morning and late in the evening. As I said, it's just the unknown but it will in NO way stop us from having a fabulous trip! We are so excited. A bad day on the sea still beats a good day at the hospital. :)

I forgot to say thank-you to the original poster for putting the photos up. My family and I really enjoyed seeing them.

The cabins look like they don't have the finishing touches yet. Note that ther is no TV on the wall or pictures. When the decorsting is done, they will probably be a lot more colorful. Everyone is excited to see the finished product. This is where our patience comes in even though we are anxious.

Don

Outside on the balcony there is a rope swing which you can use to go from one cabin to the next. ;);)

I think the closet answer is the most reasonable.

LOL. The kids would love that!

After looking at the pics and floor plans I think everyone is right about the door being next to the balcony. Aah, the unknown. ;)

Thank you so much for the pictures!!!

As for the bathroom issues, I still have the same opinion I've expressed many times on the bathroom thread...

As long as you travel with people who respect each other, there will be no issues. I will be on the Epic with my husband, my daughter, and my mother, and just as when the four of us cruised together on the Dream, I expect zero privacy issues. In fact, we're all thrilled about the new design and the freedom it provides to everyone in the cabin to use any facility while another is being used, regardless of who is using it. For me, the best part is knowing that I will NEVER have to spend even a moment in a room filled with steam (mine or someone else's) just so that I can brush my teeth or use the toilet.

I think people who anticipate privacy issues with the people they've chosen to spend a week with in tiny quarters on a cruise ship should stop and really think about how difficult (or not) it will be to just respect each others privacy when needed. If you're concerned about kids not being able to do so, that's probably an indication that you need to work with them on more than just 'how to share a cabin'.

I will never understand the concept of agreeing to spend a week with someone in a tiny cabin when you aren't confident that you can count on them to respect your privacy.

Thank you so much for the pictures!!!

As for the bathroom issues, I still have the same opinion I've expressed many times on the bathroom thread...

As long as you travel with people who respect each other, there will be no issues. I will be on the Epic with my husband, my daughter, and my mother, and just as when the four of us cruised together on the Dream, I expect zero privacy issues. In fact, we're all thrilled about the new design and the freedom it provides to everyone in the cabin to use any facility while another is being used, regardless of who is using it. For me, the best part is knowing that I will NEVER have to spend even a moment in a room filled with steam (mine or someone else's) just so that I can brush my teeth or use the toilet.

I think people who anticipate privacy issues with the people they've chosen to spend a week with in tiny quarters on a cruise ship should stop and really think about how difficult (or not) it will be to just respect each others privacy when needed. If you're concerned about kids not being able to do so, that's probably an indication that you need to work with them on more than just 'how to share a cabin'.

I will never understand the concept of agreeing to spend a week with someone in a tiny cabin when you aren't confident that you can count on them to respect your privacy.

While I kind of agree, though I can still see problems. However the way it is layed out, if you are in the shower, and have the curtain drawn, the only way someone can use the toilet is to go behind the curtain. So if you don't want someone to do that then the shower and toilet probably won't be able to be used at the same time. Plus does anyone know if the water is connected like at home, for example if you flush the toilet does it affect the water temperature in the shower?

As far as kids are concerned, they can easily forget the privacy rules if they are excited about something, such as showing their new found friends the great new song or game they downloaded on their ipod that is in their cabin. May not notice the do not disturb sign and walk right in just when mum steps out of shower. :eek:

I've been trying to put together a slideshow that has all the renderings next to the actual images. These room pics have helped! I want to finish it though. NCL...keep the pics coming!

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/12171697_TiAFY

I'm sure that took some doing so, nicely done! I enjoyed looking at how closely the renderings matched reality. Really can't wait now. ;)

BRfan...very well said. I have raised 3 great boys! The oldest is in the USMC heading to Afghanistan as we speak. Perhaps some of the posters here have not been around 3 older teenage boys (ok, the oldest is 23). Just because they forget to knock on a door or take out their earphones when I'm trying to speak (we've corrected that problem)....does NOT make them non- respectfull of one's privacy...it makes them teenagers. :D

If you've never been around the average teenager then obviously it's the unknown for you and that's ok. Not that I have to defend my great kids but if the oldest was anything less than respectful he would not have just been promoted to Sgt. in his unit ;) You really don't know respect until you've dealt with the USMC.

Regardless, we are going to have a fabulous time!

OMG, those rooms look small! I'm sorry, but the renderings show WAY more floor space than the cabin photos. I think the renderings are almost deceptive. The sofa looks practically unusable as a sofa, at least if you want to stretch out and read. My back hurts just looking at it.

Count me in as not crazy about the bathrooms. All that stuff that goes on (and is stored) in a bathroom - makeup, shaving, tweezing, blow drying, gargling, spitting, flossing ... now basically going on in the cabin? YUCK.

Oh well. I think the finishes are nice and the color will come with throw pillows and blankets.

OMG, those rooms look small! I'm sorry, but the renderings show WAY more floor space than the cabin photos. I think the renderings are almost deceptive. The sofa looks practically unusable as a sofa, at least if you want to stretch out and read. My back hurts just looking at it.

Count me in as not crazy about the bathrooms. All that stuff that goes on (and is stored) in a bathroom - makeup, shaving, tweezing, blow drying, gargling, spitting, flossing ... now basically going on in the cabin? YUCK.

Oh well. I think the finishes are nice and the color will come with throw pillows and blankets.

Can't agree with you more about the space. Those balcony rooms are tiny, the same as on all of the other ships as far as I can tell. The renderings were beautiful and made it seem as though the balcony rooms were going to be much larger. I also miss the nice bright NCL colours that I have become accustomed too. The bathrooms are just strange too! But, as I've said before, any cruise is a good cruise no matter what!

Thanks for the photos. I've never minded the frosted glass thing, but I'd like to see the doors open to see how much room is in there. The shower seems big enough, but I really want to see the size of the toilet room and how the toilet is positioned. I fear it's like the little cubbyholes on the Gem. That would be a dealbreaker for me.

Thanks for the photos. I've never minded the frosted glass thing, but I'd like to see the doors open to see how much room is in there. The shower seems big enough, but I really want to see the size of the toilet room and how the toilet is positioned. I fear it's like the little cubbyholes on the Gem. That would be a dealbreaker for me.

The size of a toilet area would keep you from booking a certain ship? really? I'm figuring I might spend a couple of hours total in the cabin bathroom during a cruise week. I can't imagine it being a deal breaker unless the toilet was made of broken glass. :)

The size of a toilet area would keep you from booking a certain ship? really? I'm figuring I might spend a couple of hours total in the cabin bathroom during a cruise week. I can't imagine it being a deal breaker unless the toilet was made of broken glass. :)

Yeah, it would. I like a comfortable bathroom. I'm a big girl, and those 3-compartment bathrooms scare me. The shower's great, the sink area's fine, the toilet cubbyhole makes me think I'll get stuck:eek:. Lawd knows how other fat/fatter folks manage. A small cabin doesn't trouble me so long as I have a human-sized bathroom.

Yeah, it would. I like a comfortable bathroom. I'm a big girl, and those 3-compartment bathrooms scare me. The shower's great, the sink area's fine, the toilet cubbyhole makes me think I'll get stuck:eek:. Lawd knows how other fat/fatter folks manage. A small cabin doesn't trouble me so long as I have a human-sized bathroom.

Do you realize you are getting a larger area around the toilet than most "typical" cruise line cabins?

I was on the Jewel last year and they had the sink, shower, and toilet all in the same small and cramped space. All 3 items are right next to eachother. This design gives you lots of space for shower and toilet in separate areas.

This will set the standard for cruise lines.

Do you realize you are getting a larger area around the toilet than most "typical" cruise line cabins?

I was on the Jewel last year and they had the sink, shower, and toilet all in the same small and cramped space. All 3 items are right next to eachother. This design gives you lots of space for shower and toilet in separate areas.

This will set the standard for cruise lines.

I realize that, and I'm excited about the Epic's design. I like the idea of everything being in a separate place. I just want to see how much room is "really" there...and sooner or later we'll see it in all its glory. Can't wait! I totally agree with you on the Jewel and Gem bathrooms, which has a lot to do with why I never booked them. The inside cabin bathrooms on the Spirit (as well as the Star and Dawn, I believe) made a lot more sense from that standpoint.

I do notice that the room is smaller than the pearl. I cruised on last yr. But if you are with the one's you love and have the mindset that you will have a great time, then i don't see a problem. So what if the toilet is not standard you have more space. Make it work. People.

Make it work. People.

People do make it work...right now they are just voicing their opinions in addition to seeing what others think and all I'm sure are looking forward to being onboard the Epic. I know we are!!

Neverthought

BRfan...very well said. I have raised 3 great boys! The oldest is in the USMC heading to Afghanistan as we speak. Perhaps some of the posters here have not been around 3 older teenage boys (ok, the oldest is 23). Just because they forget to knock on a door or take out their earphones when I'm trying to speak (we've corrected that problem)....does NOT make them non- respectfull of one's privacy...it makes them teenagers. :D

If you've never been around the average teenager then obviously it's the unknown for you and that's ok. Not that I have to defend my great kids but if the oldest was anything less than respectful he would not have just been promoted to Sgt. in his unit ;) You really don't know respect until you've dealt with the USMC.

Regardless, we are going to have a fabulous time!

I realize that you were probably pointing out the fallacy in my prior post, but I actually see this as a support to what I was saying about kids. When a parent sees an issue, it CAN be corrected - and if you teach your children respect, then they will show respect. Sure, kids of all ages can forget things, especially when they're excited, but I know that in our family, the likelihood of something happening that we know in advance we want to avoid is reduced to almost nil simply by having a discussion about it beforehand. From your post, I'll bet the same is true for yours. Also, since our daughter won't be allowed to be alone in a cabin with anyone we're not travelling with regardless of her age, if she ever bursts excitedly through the door with a new friend, she'll have a lot more to worry about than seeing me naked!! :p:eek:

That being said, the specific issue of having someone open the door while another person is showering I still find a little strange - and please understand that my outlook is based on how my family cruises. We generally shower in the morning; we sometimes will shower after returning from port or before dressing for dinner. For us, all of those situations tend to involve family communication - we get up together, we return from port together, and we all have the same dinner plans. Do other people have random showers in the middle of the day? Do people really order room service right before they take a shower? Do people travelling together not check in with each other during the day?

I feel like when I read about the potential privacy issues with this setup, I would have to go really far out of my way to come up with a scenario in which any of them would affect my family. After a week on the NCL Dream with my husband, daughter and mother, I can state unequivocally that it is possible to be in a teeny tiny space and never expose anyone to anything they don't want to see. I feel like a lot of the arguments I read would be valid if people spent their entire days in their cabin... but who does that? I know if that were my plan, an inside or balcony cabin would NOT be the cabin I booked.

We are a rather immodest family so the bathroom details don't bother me.

But we sometimes like room service breakfast--tea on the balcony--that sort of thing. And in a hotel, for instance, the waiter invariably comes while one of us is showering--door open to let out steam. So there is always a frantic door closing before open to the hallway.

Well, in this design, even with door closed, it seems a waiter might get a view of a silhouette sitting on the throne or bathing. That curtain won't help either.

So, that changes the morning routine quite a bit.

Odd they did not think of that.

Archived