1st Room pics

ddakrt

Most definitely two different cabin types.

Have a closer look.

30550_423324021413_43678986413_5379800_4665723_n.jpg

30550_423324066413_43678986413_5379808_957025_n.jpg

In the first picture, there is a shower on the left, and the sink is directly next to the shower. The sofa on the right butts right up against the toilet area. The rod for the shower curtain is completely straight.

In the second picture, there is a bathtub. Look behind the curtain on the left and you can see a ledge about knee high. That is the tub. Also, the sink is on the right side of the cabin next to the toilet area.

The first cabin picture is a standard balcony, category BA, etc. The second cabin picture is a Family Deluxe Balcony, category D1/D2. The Family Deluxe Balcony is 29 square feet larger.

Note that sometime in 2011 all the category D1/D2's (Family Deluxe Balcony) are being recategorized as Mini-Suites, category M. I think calling these cabins "mini-suites" is a bit of a stretch.

Ernie

I think I'm a little "weirded-out" by this bathroom thing also, but I'm going to reserve judgment on how well (or not so well) it works out until I'm actually trying it out in person. (August) The curtain IS a bit "bland" being all beige - hopefully the material will look nicer in person!?? :confused:

I agree that any cruise is a good cruise, so this probably won't phase us much. But it will be interesting to see - at the very least.

Thanks for the pics!!!

Most definitely two different cabin types.

Have a closer look.

30550_423324021413_43678986413_5379800_4665723_n.jpg

30550_423324066413_43678986413_5379808_957025_n.jpg

In the first picture, there is a shower on the left, and the sink is directly next to the shower. The sofa on the right butts right up against the toilet area. The rod for the shower curtain is completely straight.

In the second picture, there is a bathtub. Look behind the curtain on the left and you can see a ledge about knee high. That is the tub. Also, the sink is on the right side of the cabin next to the toilet area.

The first cabin picture is a standard balcony, category BA, etc. The second cabin picture is a Family Deluxe Balcony, category D1/D2. The Family Deluxe Balcony is 29 square feet larger.

Note that sometime in 2011 all the category D1/D2's (Family Deluxe Balcony) are being recategorized as Mini-Suites, category M. I think calling these cabins "mini-suites" is a bit of a stretch.

Ernie

I think I'm going to have to upgrade to a balcony room now.

It would be interesting to see a photo with the sofa made out as a bed.

Looking at the distance between the sofa and the sink in the regular balcony cabin it appears like there will be little or no room in front of the sink if the sofa bed is in use. May need to sit on my kids bed to brush my teeth.

On the Dawn we already had to walk across the sofa bed to get to the balcony and the Epic cabins appear to be even narrower. I am getting a vision of Charlie's house in Willie Wonka.

Also the shower door is hinged on the wrong side since the majority of the towels and robe hooks are behind the door. This is okay for one passenger, but for a family you will need to rotate the towels and robes so that the person in the shower has use of the single robe hook and towel next to the door. Hopefully NCL will provide a mat outside the shower or you will stepping into whatever you brought in from port (sandy beach shoes).

Looking at the distance between the sofa and the sink in the regular balcony cabin it appears like there will be little or no room in front of the sink if the sofa bed is in use. May need to sit on my kids bed to brush my teeth.

Simple answer book the cabin next door with the sofa by the balcony. They alternate. ;)

Sign me up as not too crazy about this bathroom setup. I was hoping it'd work differently than it was mocked up as but now seeing it in person... I don't know if I would ever sail this ship with my mother. This would be incredibly awkward for taking a shower. I'm not sure if the curtain cuts it for me. :( Thankfully I spend little to no time in the shower and may actually wind up going alone in a studio anyway next year. :D

Simple answer book the cabin next door with the sofa by the balcony. They alternate. ;)

The reason we booked the cabin with the main bed next to balcony was to avoid the problem we had on the Dawn; we could not get to the balcony while our child slept without stepping on his bed.

Wonder if the entire sofa bed is what you see in the photos. Appears to be about the size of one of the typical pull-down beds.

Because of the military I haven't had a real vacation for five years. At this point I couldn't care if I had to crap off the balcony and shower in the rain. Nothing will taint my cruise!! :)

ROFLMAO....and I agree with your last statement.

Neverthought

How can I tell if the cabin I booked has the sofa by the door or by the balcony?

There are two waves in a cabin, one that waves in and makes the cabin more narrow, and the other waves out, making the cabin wider. The bed is in the wave out. So if the wave out is closer to the door, the bed is by the door and sofa by the balcony. If the wave out is closer to the balcony, then the bed is by the balcony and sofa by the door.

That's the best I could explain it; hope that helps.

Also the shower door is hinged on the wrong side since the majority of the towels and robe hooks are behind the door. This is okay for one passenger, but for a family you will need to rotate the towels and robes so that the person in the shower has use of the single robe hook and towel next to the door. Hopefully NCL will provide a mat outside the shower or you will stepping into whatever you brought in from port (sandy beach shoes).

I beleve the shower door slides and does not swing open on hinges. Therefore, the towel hook on both sides of the door would be easily accessible.

There are two waves in a cabin, one that waves in and makes the cabin more narrow, and the other waves out, making the cabin wider. The bed is in the wave out. So if the wave out is closer to the door, the bed is by the door and sofa by the balcony. If the wave out is closer to the balcony, then the bed is by the balcony and sofa by the door.

That's the best I could explain it; hope that helps.

By the location of the deep wave

2622291670059187889S500x500Q85.jpg

Thank you both.

From those of us who are having four in the room any idea how to sleep the 4th person? It doesn't look like the bed will pull down from the ceiling like on the Jewel and I don't think it pulls out of the wall. Ideas?

Diel

We will have two connecting balcony cabins and I still don't see where there is room for the connecting door? Thoughts?

Maybe the showers connect... :eek::rolleyes:

Actually the best guess is looking at the floor plans (see earlier post from time2cruise1) is you will not have that extra small closet at the foot of the sofa that is on the cabin to the right. This would be directly next to the balcony door.

From those of us who are having four in the room any idea how to sleep the 4th person? It doesn't look like the bed will pull down from the ceiling like on the Jewel and I don't think it pulls out of the wall. Ideas?

Diel

Outside on the balcony there is a rope swing which you can use to go from one cabin to the next. ;);)

I think the closet answer is the most reasonable.

The privacy curtain between the toilet/shower and the room looks like a major nightmare. Between food spills and splatters and moisture issues from the shower side, the whole look gives me the wilies.

Thanks to everyone for posting the pictures and making a great slide show.

I love the pictures of the cabin. The pictures are of a standard balcony cabin? It is a very long room with alot more space than most cruise ship's cabin rooms. The curved walls are great. Someone commented on the wood being too dark? It is the exact color as the brochure.

The bathroom makes a great use of space. But I want to make sure I understand it. The shower is on one side and the toilet and sink on the other? Each side has door but a curtain can be drawn for those naked people that run from the shower to toilet or toilet to shower?

I think the shower would be larger than the capsule size on other ships. The rooms are not wide but seem very long. I think when you enter them, it makes the room seem alot larger than it is. I am not a design expert but I think I get what they did. It looks great and makes perfect sense.

Epic is different. That is what makes it special and exciting. Oasis of the Seas is the largest cruise ship at sea. But their cabins are standard box style. Nothing different than any other ship. Epic has different designs that make sense and makes things look cool and larger than they really are.

Archived