Passport Collection upon Embarkation by HAL

dinoman

I posted the same on the Alaska board but I think you fellow experienced HAL cruisers may also help me on this so I post the same question here.

I booked the Yukon Rail+Bus Tour with Chilkoot in Skagway and I just learnt from my TA that HAL will collect and keep our passports upon embarkation and through the cruise. Since we need our passports and visas for the tour which will go pass the US/Canada border, would HAL give our passports back for the tour? Does HAL observe this 'passport collection' policy?

I am so worry that if HAL does not give our passports back for the tour I might have to cancel the tour plus wasting a great deal of money! :confused:

Yes, Mary Ellen, this is what I worry the most. We are not holding US/Canadian Passports therefore the border crossing thing could be very complicated for us even we are holding multiple-entry US visas (we do not need a visa to enter Canada though).

I had been questioned by the UK immigration personnels at the ferry terminal when we returned to London after spending a day in Calais, France last year. Our passports are visa-free for both UK and France and I did not understand why they examined and questioned us just like we were potential terrorists! I don't want similar incident happens again so I want to make things clear beforehand. Your advices are so valuable to me.

I could be wrong on this (I am often wrong) but my understanding is that HAL's passport collection is due to requirements by the various governments that the cruise will visit. You WILL be given a receipt when HAL keeps your passport, and the passport SHOULD be returned to you if needed for a shore excursion.

In any event, be sure to discuss your concerns with the Front Office before any excursion that might require documentation.

Have a great cruise.

I have heard multiple reports that HAL do keep international passenger's passports, particularly on Seattle-roundtrip sailings. I think it particularly applies to passengers who require Canadian visas, but may apply to other foreign passport holders, too.

It happens as recent as last year.

The purpose of this is for Canadian officials to stamp on their passport and check their visa validity.

However, this doesn't impact passenger's right to travel into Canada from Skagway.

International passengers can simply go to the front desk to request their passport back for the Skagway daytrip. However, they will have to surrender the passport again, because the stamping by Canadian officials happen right before Victoria stop, and it is usually after the Skagway port of call for most sailings.

I do notice that your itinerary is Vancouver round-trip. You depart from Canada, and you clear US custom in Vancouver. You clear Canadian custom when you return to Vancouver. I do not believe HAL will need to keep your passport in this scenario, but they could be confused.

In summary, don't worry, and just remember to pick up your passport before getting off ship at Skagway. If you forget to do so, you will be abandoned by local tour operators on the spot and no refund will be made to you.

Yes, Mary Ellen, this is what I worry the most. We are not holding US/Canadian Passports therefore the border crossing thing could be very complicated for us even we are holding multiple-entry US visas (we do not need a visa to enter Canada though).

I had been questioned by the UK immigration personnels at the ferry terminal when we returned to London after spending a day in Calais, France last year. Our passports are visa-free for both UK and France and I did not understand why they examined and questioned us just like we were potential terrorists! I don't want similar incident happens again so I want to make things clear beforehand. Your advices are so valuable to me.

You were questioned extensively, not because you were potential terrorists but because of the risk posed to the UK borders by the many thousands of people who trek across the world to get to Calais and enter the UK illegally. Many come from Asia, have forged or borrowed passports and can be involved with organised crime and extortion. It was nothing personal.

You were questioned extensively, not because you were potential terrorists but because of the risk posed to the UK borders by the many thousands of people who trek across the world to get to Calais and enter the UK illegally. Many come from Asia, have forged or borrowed passports and can be involved with organised crime and extortion. It was nothing personal.

I understood that! :p They also questioned those holding US passports so I knew it wasn't personal.

To all OPs, I was just informed by my TA that HAL confirmed they will return the passports to us after check-in, so I have nothing to worry about! :)

I posted the same on the Alaska board but I think you fellow experienced HAL cruisers may also help me on this so I post the same question here.

I booked the Yukon Rail+Bus Tour with Chilkoot in Skagway and I just learnt from my TA that HAL will collect and keep our passports upon embarkation and through the cruise. Since we need our passports and visas for the tour which will go pass the US/Canada border, would HAL give our passports back for the tour? Does HAL observe this 'passport collection' policy?

I am so worry that if HAL does not give our passports back for the tour I might have to cancel the tour plus wasting a great deal of money! :confused:

For cruises we've taken where passports have been collected by HAL the passports have been returned for any port where we need to take them off the ship. It shouldn't be a problem.

Do NOT surrender your Passport WITHOUT being given a RECEIPT for it!:)

OK

I'm stupid.

Why would HAL take the passport anyway?

They inspected it when you boarded so they know you have one.

I don't get it and really I'm not too comfortable with it.

Gramps

It isn't HAL. As another poster said, it's the countries being visited.

A friend did a world cruise and said the passport thing drove them crazy. Requests to turn in passports, pick up passports, turn them in again. It all depends on the country you're going to. I know I've had my passport collected on a couple of cruises, but I can't remember the countries in question.

Although the ship has inspected your passport, but the "COUNTRY" you visit might not.

You ship could visit multiple countries, and some of the countries might insist to inspect every single passport upon arrival, while some countries only request to check passports from certain countries.

Most of the countries in Americas and Caribbeans waive the requirement to inspect every passport upon arrival, because tourism is extremely important to them. By waiving this requirement, passengers have much more time sightseeing and spending in ports.

Another consideration for HAL collecting passports is that local immigration officials often have two choices, make all pax line up and show their documentation prior to the ship being cleared for entry, or having the ship present the passports to the officials for inspection. Believe me, you are far better to have HAL deal with the immigration issues without inconveniencing you!

When I took the Mediterrean Cruise w/Celebrity years ago they collected all our passports for immigration purpose, and the countries involved were Italy, Greece and Turkey. For the Baltic Cruise w/NCL last year they photo-copied our passports and return to us for keeping and land inspection if necessary. The only country that really needed us to queue up for passport inspection was Russia, for the others we either just walked through or presented the boarding pass/card.

Well said.

we just returned from a 26 Day cruise on Eurodam, All passports were required prior to arrival in Greece, the front desk submitteda receipt for the passport. After sailing from the last port of Greece, everyone was asked to pick up their passports from the front desk-

PS: just a suggestion, always have a photo copy of your passport during your trip-

Nothing to worry about, enjoy the cruise-:o

We have been told to always make extra copies of our passport. We keep separate from our passport and someone at home always has a copy with them. Just a thought for you!
That will help you get a replacement quicker when you can find a US Embassy or Consulate, but that's about all they're good for. No government, US or foreign, will accept them in place of the real thing.

Archived