Totally confused about cruise choice!

firsttimer 62

I’m trying to decide, for my first cruise, among the Island Princess, Millennium, or Statendam for an Alaskan cruisetour in August, and would definitely appreciate any input! Except for a couple of European biking trips, we’ve never done any organized tours, and have planned all our trips on our own, so this is very different for us. We aren’t big fans of nightclubs and don’t really like Las Vagas style shows, and so had some reservations about the big ships, but the cost of the really small ones, like Cruise West, is way out of reach. And since seeing Alaska from the water seems like a wonderful idea, that leaves us looking at these three. The biggest advantage of the Island Princess is that it would be southbound, and would include both Hubbard and Glacier Bay (the others only Glacier Bay). But comments and reviews on the Princess board seem to say that the food is only average, and the beds are hard. We know this is a trip about nature not cuisine, but since we’ll be on the ship for a week, good food would really be nice, and so would a comfortable bed! HAL advertises about its premium bedding, and food reviews seem to be OK, but the Statendam just came out of drydock, and recent comments are really offputting, especially sewage odors aft. Several commenters suggest avoiding it. There was nothing particularly negative about the Millennium other than it could seem crowded, although it has as many passengers as the Island Princess. Since the smaller size of the Statendam is a plus, as is the stop at both Hubbard and Glacier Bay, all things being equal, it would be a third choice. The cruisetour portions of all three are fine, but after reading comments on the boards, I’m totally confused about which ship would be best for us. Cruises are expensive, and I’d really like to spend a comfortable week enjoying the spectacular scenery.

There are as many different cruise line choices as there are individuals. Frankly, all cruises to Alaska are WONDERFUL and the differences between specific lines and ships are minor.

Cruise reviews have to be taken with a grain of salt. People's perceptions differ, especially about food and beds. I have seen a reviewer who thoroughly trashed the dining on a cruise because the ketchup came to the table in a bottle instead of in a bowl!!

Frankly we find the food on both HAL and Princess to be very similar, usually of high quality if not gourmet. HAL food is perhaps a bit more European, and we do love the Indonesian specialties available on HAL. Princess offers pretty standard "fine restaurant" style food, and the Love Boat Dream is my favorite dessert afloat (well, except maybe for their Grand Marnier Souffle). I don't think I would let a couple of picky reviews about the food put you off either line.

Both Princess and HAL sometimes receive reviews about hard beds. I guess some people sleep on feather beds or something at home. The beds on both lines are, IMAO, of average hardness. If you really like a soft bed, ask in advance or on boarding for an egg crate mattress from the steward.

Glacier Bay is stunning. I wonder if adding Hubbard to the same cruise is not a bit of overkill? What are your priorities. If it is glaciers + glaciers, then that is the cruise for you!!

We really loved our HAL cruisetour. It seemed just a bit more upscale than the Princess cruisetours we saw along the way. That is where you need to read the descriptions really carefully and be sure exactly what you are getting in the tour.

Whichever you choose I know you will have a GREAT cruise!

The firmness of Princess's beds can be overcome by having your cabin steward place a foam eggcrate on your bed. We do this all the time just as soon as we are aboard. The Island Princess and its sister the Coral are lovely ships.

And I've never once heard complaints about hard beds on HAL - just the opposite, as a matter of fact:D! Certainly from our own personal experience, and from what we have always heard from others, HAL's got some of THE most comfortable beds around!

I found the beds hard on HAL but it was a better quality mattress compared to Princess's bed (which is also hard). So - HAL does have better beds. Though in Alaska, I am so tired after doing a million things that I just fall asleep with out any problems (though I do request the egg crate).

The Coral and Island Southbound trip has an exceptional itinerary with both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay.

Celebrity does not go to Glacier Bay (didn't look to see if they go to Hubbard).

While I like HAL, I am not sure if I would like their smaller ships (I would stick with anything built after 2001 or so (whenever the Zuiderdam came out). Especially if you are young.

I would decide between HAL and Princess - they really have a great reputation in Alaska and have worked hard for it.

Mercedmike - I am interested in your comment about Hubbard AND Glacier Bay being overkill. I'm planning a cruise in 2011 and doing research right now (waiting for my Alaska by Cruise from amazon.com - will it ever come??????) and I'm trying to figure out my itinerary first. Do you think Hubbard and Glacier Bay is overkill? If I pick one, should it be Glacier Bay? I know there are a few cruises that do both. That is kind of my starting point. After I determine this, I can figure out the rest. Thanks for any help, AJ

Mercedmike - I am interested in your comment about Hubbard AND Glacier Bay being overkill. I'm planning a cruise in 2011 and doing research right now (waiting for my Alaska by Cruise from amazon.com - will it ever come??????) and I'm trying to figure out my itinerary first. Do you think Hubbard and Glacier Bay is overkill? If I pick one, should it be Glacier Bay? I know there are a few cruises that do both. That is kind of my starting point. After I determine this, I can figure out the rest. Thanks for any help, AJ

I don't think it is overkill - I think it is the best itinerary! Many ships just add another sea day as opposed to having a second glacier.

Many people only go once and have to make a decision between the two - this allows one to not have to compromise on which glacier.

Two words for you:

Norwegian Pearl :D :p

Very comfy beds and spectacular views in Glacier Bay.

The Pearl does only roundtrips from Seattle. The OP wants to do a land trip plus a one-way cruise.

OP - since you have planned all of your own trips in the past, you can do the same for an Alaskan land trip.

I did like the idea of seeing both Hubbard and Glacier Bay, since I don't know if or when I'll be back in Alaska. That's part of why I wanted to include a cruisetour, to see as much as I can. I know a lot of posters think it's better to do your own land planning, but while I've done that on other trips, it is a LOT of work and since the cruisetour parts seemed to cover the places I wanted to go, I thought it would be nice, for once, for someone else to do the planning. Not to mention the driving, navigating, etc.!

Without anything for comparison, the smaller size of the Statendam, on HAL, seemed less overwhelming than the Island Princess, but given the really bad comments about post drydock problems, and that it doesn't include Hubbard while the Island Princess does, that leans toward Princess. I guess the egg crates could take care of any hard bed issues. Mercedmike, you mentioned that you thought that HAL cruisetours were more upscale than the Princess ones. From the brief descriptions on their sites, they seemed kind of similar to me, but that would be easy, since I'm unfamiliar with the parks, hotels, and towns. What led to your impression? And European style food on the cruise would be a plus for us. I've read about their bread pudding!

I would not worry about the post-drydock problems. The same thing occurred on other ships and was corrected by the end of the first month or so.

Be careful about cruise tours. Make sure, for example, that you have two days in Denali and do more than the Natural History tour.

Although I prefer Celebrity to Princess, I would recommend you include Glacier Bay. I have not yet sailed HAL, but will be on the Amsterdam in Alaska in 25 days:):):):).

I did like the idea of seeing both Hubbard and Glacier Bay, since I don't know if or when I'll be back in Alaska. That's part of why I wanted to include a cruisetour, to see as much as I can. I know a lot of posters think it's better to do your own land planning, but while I've done that on other trips, it is a LOT of work and since the cruisetour parts seemed to cover the places I wanted to go, I thought it would be nice, for once, for someone else to do the planning. Not to mention the driving, navigating, etc.!

Without anything for comparison, the smaller size of the Statendam, on HAL, seemed less overwhelming than the Island Princess, but given the really bad comments about post drydock problems, and that it doesn't include Hubbard while the Island Princess does, that leans toward Princess. I guess the egg crates could take care of any hard bed issues. Mercedmike, you mentioned that you thought that HAL cruisetours were more upscale than the Princess ones. From the brief descriptions on their sites, they seemed kind of similar to me, but that would be easy, since I'm unfamiliar with the parks, hotels, and towns. What led to your impression? And European style food on the cruise would be a plus for us. I've read about their bread pudding!

You don't want a cruise tour that does the Natural History Tour at Denali (you want the Tundra Wilderness Tour), and two nights at Denali are better than one. Princess likes to have people spend time at their McKinley Wilderness Lodge - which is in the middle of nowhere!

I did look only at cruisetours that had two nights at Denali, and already decided that if all that was included was the Natural History Tour, I'd ditch that for the TWT. I think the Princess tour was at the Princess Wilderness Lodge, not McKinley.

I've read that you should avoid rooms under the bar, disco, etc., or near launderettes, stairs, and elevators unless you're prepared for a lot of noise. The room my TA offered on the Island Princess was D235, and from the floorplan, it was pretty close to the stairwell and elevators. Is that likely to be a noisy place?

I've read that you should avoid rooms under the bar, disco, etc., or near launderettes, stairs, and elevators unless you're prepared for a lot of noise. The room my TA offered on the Island Princess was D235, and from the floorplan, it was pretty close to the stairwell and elevators. Is that likely to be a noisy place?

I have had several cabins near stairwell and elevators and never had a problem. There have been threads over on the Princess boards that say the same thing. Here is a link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1178394&highlight=cabin+near+elevator

The older HAL ships attract a lot of older people. While Alaska attracts older people in general, the older HAL ships are going to attract even older people. You are more likely to be able to afford balconies on newer ships with more balconies.

A friend just did Statendam and hated it. HAL's newer ships are great but I am not sure I would recommend the smaller ships for younger people (those under 50) unless you really know what you are getting into.

Thanks for that thread, Coral, it was good to read that being close to elevators isn't likely to be an issue.

I've also read that HAL gets an older crowd, and while we're on the north side of 50 (sigh) we're both active and look much younger. I know Alaska cruises tend to get older folks than, say, the Carribean, which is OK, but would hope that the average age was something less than 80 or so (no offense to any 80 year olds reading this!). The smaller size ship, though, did seem appealing; 2,000 passengers seems like traveling in a small city! But since neither ship is really small, maybe there's not that much difference.

both my wife and i are under 50 and love hal and princess .. we picked HAL this year for alaska for the smaller ship , we like them better ..food on hal is good.were going on the south bound run in a few days ,, :D

What I said was, "What are your priorities?" If Alaska means Glaciers Glaciers Glaciers to you, (as it does to some posters) then of course the triple glacier cruise (including Mendenhall) would be a great way to go. Other folks might opt for other ways of doing it. Frankly I think one day at the glaciers is plenty for me on any one trip. That was all I meant.

If you pick one or the other, for a first and perhaps only trip to Alaska, my preference would be for Glacier Bay. check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/alaskaglaciers.html for the comparison.

YMMV

The Pearl does only roundtrips from Seattle. The OP wants to do a land trip plus a one-way cruise. OP - since you have planned all of your own trips in the past, you can do the same for an Alaskan land trip.

I kind of had my tongue in my cheek on that post :D

They actually have one from Vancouver to Seattle, and visa-versa. Still not what the OP was wanting, I know.

I'm trying to figure out whether a I should do a more reasonable round-trip from Seattle on NCL going to Glacier Bay (seems like an Alaska 101). Or maybe I should go with the Diamond Princess which hits both Hubbard and Glacier Bay? I personally would like to spend some time in Vancouver, but my partner has never been to Seattle and wouldn't mind spending time there. Additionally, we kind of want a cruise ship with more of an active night-life... a little more lively. The Millennium is gorgeous... but it was a little more relaxed than we are looking for and the entertainment was underwhelming. He's never been on Princess, so that would be a new experience for him. Decisions decisions! This is the fun part! Well, actual cruising is always more fun ;) Thanks for all the info & sorry for being all over the place... a little daunting trying to figure this out. - aj

My first cruise to Alaska is in July but I've been in the same boat as those of you trying to decide on which ship and itinerary. I was previously booked on Celebrity Millennium because it sounds like a gorgeous, fantastic ship. I didn't do any research on Alaska before booking it but went to a Travel Show put on by Celebrity. After following this board and doing research, I cancelled my Millennium cruise and booked on Island Princess' southbound cruise because it goes to both Hubbard and Glacier Bay. (Diamond, Coral, and Sapphire do too but I picked Island because of it's size, dates, and price.)

We also decided not to do the cruise line's cruisetour because we want the freedom to focus on what we want to do in the few days we have. We'll also wind up saving some money by DIYing versus doing the cruisetour as well. This board has been essential in planning my trip and the people here are wonderful. I have no doubt we'll have a fantastic cruise!

The benefit of 2 glacier days is if one is missed, you still have another day! While that sounds silly, it is very important.

On my two cruises with just one glacier, we missed the glacier. My first cruise we were supposed to go to Hubbard and got iced out - so we saw no glacier! Second cruise, we were supposed to go to Tracy Arm and got iced out.

Many times, instead of having a 2nd glacier, many cruise lines just have another sea day. Many don't replace it with another port.

Overall, I do prefer smaller ships but I do like balconies and the balconies on the smaller ships are very $$$$. Also, for the price of insides on the smaller HAL ships, I can often get balconies on Princess.

Food is equal on both HAL and Princess IMO.

Two chances to see glaciers does seem better than one--I've read that weather in Denali is so unpredictable that you might not see Mt. Mckinley if the weather gods aren't feeling cooperative. Not much to do about that, though, so any second chances are good.

There's a thread on the HAL board comparing it with Princess, and comments seem to agree that beds are a little better on HAL, entertainment better on Princess, food seems variable from the comments, but HAL has better coffee. Better not tell my DH about that or he'd definitely not want Princess. He does love his coffee, but, on second thought, he's so picky anyway that he probably wouldn't really like either!

It's hard not to get tangled in trying to figure out the differences among the lines. I think I like the itinerary better on the Island, so that should probably be what makes the choice, but sometimes reading all the comments can make it harder! Food and a good night's sleep are probably more important to us than entertainment, so I keep going around in circles!!

Archived