Live from the grand - may 22

freddie1974

Freddie,

Your updates are VERY much appreciated as I will be on the Grand on June 19 and my best friend and travel buddy was NOT happy to hear about this norovirus (he's a worrywart about every little thing!)

Ahsamed to be British? NO WAY - you speak the most beautiful language ever (I could listen to British accents all day every day and never tire of it!) :)

I'm actually wondering where I can find myself a lovely British boyfriend! ;) Wish there was an online dating service for that! LOL

Freddie,

Your updates are VERY much appreciated as I will be on the Grand on June 19 and my best friend and travel buddy was NOT happy to hear about this norovirus (he's a worrywart about every little thing!)

Ahsamed to be British? NO WAY - you speak the most beautiful language ever (I could listen to British accents all day every day and never tire of it!) :)

I'm actually wondering where I can find myself a lovely British boyfriend! ;) Wish there was an online dating service for that! LOL

You should have heard my language on Saturday when they tried to send me to the holding car park for the 2nd time - you may have changed your mind :D

hi freddie would it be possible to post a couple of prices for pop and beer ect this being my first cruise so i dont get to much of a shock:) iam going on her on 5th june only two weeks to go

Hi Freddie, we sailed on the Grand back in 2001 (our first cruise), she was a marvel.. Enjoy!

We sailed on the Grand in 2002. Previous to that, we were on the Dawn, which we loved. Somehow the Grand felt "too big" to us too. It just felt crowded. Not sure I can explain but compared to the Dawn, I just had the sense that there were a LOT of passengers on board. Since then, we've been on larger cruise ships (like the recent cruise on the Mariner) where there were 3300 passengers and it felt LESS crowded then the Grand. Maybe it's the way the ship was designed and the "flow". Or maybe it was the individual experience of that cruise. I dunno. But we are looking forward to trying the Sapphire to see if a newer design will feel more spacious.

To the OP: thanks so much for your thread. We don't mean to hijack it. :) I can't wait to hear more...

Hi Freddie

Thanks for your reply, it was very helpful. We won't be cancelling the cruise and intend to enjoy every minute. We live in a tourist area (Cornwall) & know how some people complain about everything & anything. I even remember one person complaining that the tide was in so the beach was smaller than expected!!!:rolleyes:

If I think of anymore questions I will post them. Thanks again for putting our minds at ease. (the wine's ready!!!):)

hi freddie would it be possible to post a couple of prices for pop and beer ect this being my first cruise so i dont get to much of a shock:) iam going on her on 5th june only two weeks to go

I haven't had a beer (around $5 if I remember correctly) and as I have a soda card ($4.25 / day + 15% gratuity) I haven't seen prices for soft drinks but believe they are around $2. I shall check tonight (if I remember, just draining the contents of the mini-bar as I type!)

The drinks we have had were priced at $4.95 for canadian club & $6.25 for Remy VSOP cognac (XO is around $10).

We sailed on the Grand in 2002. Previous to that, we were on the Dawn, which we loved. Somehow the Grand felt "too big" to us too. It just felt crowded. Not sure I can explain but compared to the Dawn, I just had the sense that there were a LOT of passengers on board. Since then, we've been on larger cruise ships (like the recent cruise on the Mariner) where there were 3300 passengers and it felt LESS crowded then the Grand. Maybe it's the way the ship was designed and the "flow". Or maybe it was the individual experience of that cruise. I dunno. But we are looking forward to trying the Sapphire to see if a newer design will feel more spacious.

To the OP: thanks so much for your thread. We don't mean to hijack it. :) I can't wait to hear more...

I think you've nailed it with the flow - especially on Deck 7 from aft to midship where you can only pass on one side which is narrowed further with the photo boards most of the time.

We are currently heading towards Copenhagen and it's a little rough. The Promenade deck is closed and the toilet doors in our cabin keep opening and closing themselves! If it persists into the evening we shall have to wedge them shut before we go to bed.

Formal night tonight, and having just returned from a stroll around there are lots of tux's and ball gowns on display; much more so than in Alaska last year.

No more updates on Norovirus or whether the Ultimate Ship Tour is happening yet.

I'm off to see if I can still squeeze into my tux.... wish me luck :)

Thanks so much for your reports Freddie. I was getting very slightly worried after reading some of the Grand reviews over the last few week. It is so refreshing to read your updates, thank you for taking the time to post. Good luck with the Tux :D and enjoy your night.

I will continue to look forward to our Grand Princess cruise in July.

and the toilet doors in our cabin keep opening and closing themselves! If it persists into the evening we shall have to wedge them shut before we go to bed.

We have always had to do that in D736/D737 to the point where we bring along a bungee cord and lash the doors before retiring.;)

Mike:)

Freddie,

there is!

www.iloveyouraccent.com ;)

You should have heard my language on Saturday when they tried to send me to the holding car park for the 2nd time - you may have changed your mind :D

Hehe, I can imagine the air turned blue in a few cars. I was just dropping my family off to join the cruise, saw the lines, then the security guy said that as I was dropping off, could just nip round. Think the queue was about half a mile.

In all my time sailing from Southampton (as it's my local port :o ), never seen anything like it. I think the late embarkation was the main cause as normally you stagger the embarkations during the day, usually starting at about 11!!

Hope the Norovirus does calm down. You do expect some elements of it on a cruise ship, but then you can catch it anywhere.

Enjoy Copenhagen when you get there. Think you'll be docking in Langeline which is just down the road from where the Little Mermaid statue normally is.

Sure the wife will be sending me photos tomorrow..

Enjoy the Formal night, my lot have been looking forward to it!!

Scrozuk

Hi there

Do you have in-cabin TV guides? And are there any bar menus/price lists in evidence? We were on the unfortunate last cruise, and TV guides never materialised, which was extremely annoying when I was confined to my cabin with the dreaded Norovirus. The films shown on TV were good, but you never knew start times.

And are there many children on your cruise? There were lots last week, which was quite surprising as it wa still term time in the UK.

We thought the ship was fine, and our cabin (mini suite) was great, but on the whole didn't have a great cruise. Still, what we like might not suit everyone, so you pay your money and you take your choice! Princess (at least from the UK) will not be our choice in future.

Hope you continue to have a good cruise, and remain virus free!

JB

Thank you for your posts and pics. I appreciate the time you take to answer our questions.

I have been on Grand and Diamond Princess and I like Diamond better, but I can't remember the layout of deck 7 if that design was improved or not.

I haven't had a beer (around $5 if I remember correctly) and as I have a soda card ($4.25 / day + 15% gratuity) I haven't seen prices for soft drinks but believe they are around $2. I shall check tonight (if I remember, just draining the contents of the mini-bar as I type!)

The drinks we have had were priced at $4.95 for canadian club & $6.25 for Remy VSOP cognac (XO is around $10).

starting to worry about the viris thing that is allways seams to bo going on this ships hope its ok had a look on live cam and the sea did look rough hope it settles down for you :)

Thanks for your posts.

What is the percentage of Brits versus US passengers onboard?

On the previous cruise, 8th-22nd May, the vast majority of passengers were Brits. Guessing, I would say 95%, maybe even more. The entertainment was very British too - Opportunity Knocks or holiday camp type singers/comedians/ventriloquist/magician. And lots and lots and lots of children, even though it was term time. Maybe they were all home schooled! Or maybe not.

Hi there

Do you have in-cabin TV guides? And are there any bar menus/price lists in evidence? We were on the unfortunate last cruise, and TV guides never materialised, which was extremely annoying when I was confined to my cabin with the dreaded Norovirus. The films shown on TV were good, but you never knew start times.

And are there many children on your cruise? There were lots last week, which was quite surprising as it wa still term time in the UK.

We thought the ship was fine, and our cabin (mini suite) was great, but on the whole didn't have a great cruise. Still, what we like might not suit everyone, so you pay your money and you take your choice! Princess (at least from the UK) will not be our choice in future.

Hope you continue to have a good cruise, and remain virus free!

JB

We do have a TV guide and price list for mini bar refills. There are quite a few kids but most seem to be very well behaved.

Thanks for your posts.

What is the percentage of Brits versus US passengers onboard?

I would estimate 90% Brits.

I had a look for you this evening. Beer was $3.95 to $6.25 and soda $1.95 all exc. 15% gratuity; this was at the Promenade Bar but I am pretty sure it is the same throughout the ship.

Archived