Cabanas and Panama Transit?

caribbeansun

We've booked a cabana for the Marina's San Fran-Miami next year but something that another poster indicated has DW very concerned.

It was mentioned here that on Panama sailings other passengers have taken it upon themselves to enter the cabanas, including those that are occupied by those who've paid for/reserved them while passing through the Canal. The last thing we want is to have to get into some kind of conflict with fellow passengers - it seems that worrying about this is almost enough for DW to cancel the cabana so I'm wondering if it's really something to worry about or not.

Hence my questions:

1) Has this been an issue for others (previous postings were not specific to this issue)?

2) Does O, or do they plan on, policing this issue on these specific occasions? (Seems that they do not)

3) Does O plan to use more obvious barriers for the cabanas (likely unknown)?

The Cabanas already have chains across their entrances with a hanging "reserved" sign on them. The curtain behind that chain may also be closed if you desire more privacy.

cabana.jpg

There are always several staff members on the Cabana deck to service and monitor the use of the cabanas. There is also a telephone in each Cabana, to summon the staff.

nautica%20cabanas%20Small%20Web%20view.jpg

If a fellow passenger intrudes, accidentally or otherwise, the Cabana renter should not police them, personally. That could lead to a great deal of unpleasantness.

The staff will handle the situation promptly, and in as discreet a manner as can be managed. Trust me, it won't take more an a few minutes.

That said, about 85% of those who interlope into a Cabana genuinely did not realize that they are private. Once their error is pointed out to them, they leave quickly, and of their own accord.

Exactly, and that is the part that seems to be creating the concern.

If a fellow passenger intrudes, accidentally or otherwise, the Cabana renter should not police them, personally. That could lead to a great deal of unpleasantness.

It hasn't really been our experience that staff are present. Mind you, other than one day on our Greece trip nobody else has used the cabanas other than ourselves. Has it been your experience that one more popular itineraries that there are actually staff members active on the Cabana deck? (Of course as I type this I realize you wouldn't have typed that in your response if it wasn't)

There are always several staff members on the Cabana deck to service and monitor the use of the cabanas.

Discreet is always good! In your experience, do you "flag down" a staff member, call them or do you get up and go and get one?

The staff will handle the situation promptly, and in as discreet a manner as can be managed. Trust me, it won't take more an a few minutes.

I guess it's the "pointing out" part that's really at issue - I did have a gentleman join me on the day bed on our most recent cruise. I didn't want to be harsh or rude and decided to wait and see if he'd leave on his own, which he did after about 5 uncomfortable minutes. I really wasn't sure what I'd do if he'd taken up permanent residency - I likely would have used the phone and then stepped out of the cabana to explain the situation to the attendant. Of course then you're left standing there waiting on that interaction as it plays out in front of you feeling like a bit of jerk (for lack of a better word). It's that uncomfortable situation that we are seeking to avoid - perhaps over thinking it but it is a definite sore spot with DW.

That said, about 85% of those who interlope into a Cabana genuinely did not realize that they are private. Once their error is pointed out to them, they leave quickly, and of their own accord.

Thank you for your reply.

Two things:

1. The Cabanas get more use on Canal transits and in the Caribbean, than on the port intensive European cruises.
  2. More use translates into more staff and more supervision

That said, this is how I would handle any untoward intrusions:

Should a stranger walk into my cabana and sit down, I'd go to the nearest house-phone, just to make sure that the staff was alerted to the situation.

Then, I'd do something to kill a few minutes, such as wash my hands, do a leisurely lap around the jogging track, or have a smart cocktail at Waves.

If the weather was right, I might even take a dip in the pool.

By the time that I returned to the Cabana, everything would be back to normal, the day bed would have been refreshed and I would get back to relaxing. :D

I had a cabana on the Panama Canal and had lots of friends in to watch the transit..no one will bother you if they are not invited it is made very obvious to the passengers that these are private cabanas..so dont be concerned

Jancruz1

I had a cabana on the Panama Canal and had lots of friends in to watch the transit..no one will bother you if they are not invited it is made very obvious to the passengers that these are private cabanas..so dont be concerned

Jancruz1

The limit is normally two passengers per Cabana, whenever we have taken a Cabana, guests were discouraged.

The limit is normally two passengers per Cabana, whenever we have taken a Cabana, guests were discouraged.

I thought you could have 4 people there?

I do not go up there very often to far to hike but if the Marina has an elevator I may check it out;)

Lyn

While transiting the canal I would say we had about 15 people sitting on the ground in the very front of the cabana..it was just for about an hour and no one objected and no one complained..

I would assume that Stan and Jim are correct on an every day basis but on the R ships there is really no where else to get a as good a view of the transit.

Jancruz1

When friends had a cabana we went several times and had drinks and lunch with them there. Sometimes there was another couple also. No one objected as long as we were invited guests.

The problem was with uninvited guests.

I have mixed feelings about the cabanas and about how many should be permitted in there. Maybe during a Canal transit, for part of the time, maybe mid-day when I would want to leave and eat lunch anyway, I would not mind a group nearby, but otherwise, if there are private cabanas, then the folks who paid for them ought to be able to enjoy them in peace.

Since I would normally want the cabana for quiet relaxation, I would prefer it if StanandJim are correct that just two in the cabana is the permitted number.

I wouldn't want a group of folks in an adjoining cabana chatting away or playing music.

A Cabana "block party" of cabana "owners" on a special occasion sounds altogether different (and fun). Keep in mind that I have no idea what I am talking about yet, as I have yet to take our first cruise on Oceania.

When we went through the canal we had no problems with any stranger coming into the cabana. We left the curtains open so people could see from behind the cabana. Two friends joined us for the day. The attendants brought extra chairs for our friends and served lunch to all of us. The cabana at the opposite end of the row had been rented for the entire cruise by three couples and all six of them were in the cabana during the canal transit. Here are a couple of pictures from the canal transit:

2510941950101716102S600x600Q85.jpg

2333815070101716102S600x600Q85.jpg

Dave

When we went through the canal we had no problems with any stranger coming into the cabana. We left the curtains open so people could see from behind the cabana. Two friends joined us for the day. The attendants brought extra chairs for our friends and served lunch to all of us. The cabana at the opposite end of the row had been rented for the entire cruise by three couples and all six of them were in the cabana during the canal transit. Here are a couple of pictures from the canal transit:

2333815070101716102S600x600Q85.jpg

Dave

Hey that is my DH being RUDE & sneaking into the cabana :eek:

The Panama transit is the voyage when a position at the front of the ship will be really desirable. During our Panama crossing aboard the Silver Shadow in December, 2007, we spent the better part of the day and evening standing in front of the "observation lounge" outdoors under the roof's shade. We saw (and took camcorder video) of the ship's getting through every gate, during daytime and after sunset with beautiful lighting. If we were crossing aboard an R ship, we would make sure we book a cabana the first day booking would be allowed!

Thanks for all the replies - I'll assure DW that we won't have an issue.

The day of the crossing we arrived at our cabana to see many people standing and watching from the sides and front and there were people in our cabana also. We said "hello" and and pleasantly informed them that we had reserved the cabana and they were welcome to share it with us if they were willing to share the cost. No problems at all, they smiled and said no thanks and left.

I thought you could have 4 people there?

I do not go up there very often to far to hike but if the Marina has an elevator I may check it out;)

Lyn

Does anyone know if there might be an elevator to the cabana area of the Marina? From looking at the deck plans, it seems to me that there are only steps. In this case, might there be a lift for mobility impaired? Also, are there any restroooms on that deck?

If it's like the existing ships then there are not elevators, or lifts for mobility impaired nor restrooms.

Marina hasn't sailed yet so there's no way to know for sure what will be there other than going by the deck plans which show just two sets of stairs.

Does anyone know if there might be an elevator to the cabana area of the Marina? From looking at the deck plans, it seems to me that there are only steps. In this case, might there be a lift for mobility impaired? Also, are there any restroooms on that deck?

We've booked a cabana for the Marina's San Fran-Miami next year but something that another poster indicated has DW very concerned.

It was mentioned here that on Panama sailings other passengers have taken it upon themselves to enter the cabanas, including those that are occupied by those who've paid for/reserved them while passing through the Canal. The last thing we want is to have to get into some kind of conflict with fellow passengers - it seems that worrying about this is almost enough for DW to cancel the cabana so I'm wondering if it's really something to worry about or not.

Hence my questions:

1) Has this been an issue for others (previous postings were not specific to this issue)?

2) Does O, or do they plan on, policing this issue on these specific occasions? (Seems that they do not)

3) Does O plan to use more obvious barriers for the cabanas (likely unknown)?

Just in from O..NO cabanas on Marina..

Jancruz1

Archived