Celebrity Tap Water

SRayman

Sodium intake from breathing the air? And from swimming in a pool? Now if that isn't the most unbelievable thing I've ever heard! Please show us any reference from any credible source that says breathing sea air increases one's sodium intake!

It's what I learned years ago in med school. I no longer have those text books so I will not attempt to satisfy your challenge. Your lungs absorb everything in the air you breath. That is a simply fact. If not the case, then we would not have to wear protective breathing apparatus when around toxic chemicals. Skin is also permeable and will absorb chemicals, and yes, even sodium suspended in water or air. Again, we wear protective gloves and clothing when around toxic chemicals for that very reason.

Believe it, or don't believe it, it's your choice. But just because you don't believe it doesn't make it untrue. As a wise man once said: "Everyone has a right to be wrong." :D

As a physician, drinking more water will not always help you "flush" out too much sodium. Your kidneys are remarkable organs that do a wonderful job keeping the correct amount of sodium (and other electrolytes) and water at their proper balance. They can adjust to an unbelievable wide range of concentrations, but can be overwhelmed depending on medications, disease processes, and changes in diet.

If true, and I can accept these comments, then why do so many posters feel less bloated when switching to bottled water from ships water?

Could it be that well known placebo effect where if you think something is good for you, it probably will be.

Water is water is water. Why pay for it when you can get exactly the same from a tap!

Bottled water is just a fashion accessory - how many people say that bottled water is healthier for you, whilst they light up a cigarette, then waddle down the road?:confused:

Bottled water has been contaminated already by the plastic bottle it has been in for a year or two before it is sold - year or two old aready.

Why, when water has been underground in a spring for hundreds of years, when it has been bottled, it suddenly has a use by date on it....

For the most part I agree but desalinated water is not the same as tap water; you are talking about sea water that is processed to remove the salt and impurities. I firmly believe from experience that it has a higher sodium content than most tap water.

There is a difference in tap water from area to area too, not to mention that some tap water tastes terrible because of high levels of chlorine used to purify it, different levels of minerals, etc. Some areas of the world, the tap water will make you sick, in fact the hotels will tell you to drink bottled water.

We drink tap water wherever it's good, but we're not foolish enough to ignore the obvious. Speaking from a lot of experience, I'm just trying to give you a hint. Take it or leave it.:)

There was a time that I would always recommend that people drink the ship's water as it was as good, or better, than any public water system.

However, in recent years I have encountered issues on Carnival Pride, Celebrity Century, HAL Statendam and Radiance of the Seas where the water had a bad taste and/or a brown color to it. While I believe the water was completely safe I wouldn't drink the water on Statendam and Pride because of the taste.

I personally believe, from my personal experience, that it is the higher sodium food, more so than any sodium in the water, that causes most people to retain water. Sodium levels in cruise foods are VERY high and people don't realize it.

I had to laugh at the "Healthy Choices" on NCL, where they list the calorie, fat and sodium levels of the food. You couldn't order a three course dinner without ingesting over 1 gram of sodium. :eek:

So, if you want to order the water package go ahead. If you want to just drink the ship's water, you'll be perfectly safe but there may be taste issues.

Take care,

Mike

It's fine...the ice is made from it, as is your coffee, tea, lemonade, and your food! There's nothing wrong with the tap water!

+1.. with all the other extra charges on the boat don't fall for expensive bottled water. If you are going to opt to pay for something use it on beer or wine. Tap is just fine.

:rolleyes:

This is a frequently debated topic ...

I stick with the first few words of my first post above.

I think this thread presents both viewpoints and has all of the comments I've read about the subject on past threads.

The only other thing I'll add is that I am not generally a bottled water fan. It is very seldom that I use bottled water and think that in general it is a huge waste. But it does have a time and place for some and one of those for me is on the ship. But as you can see there are many who have no issue, and I'd encourage you to try the tap water keeping an eye out to see if some of the issues above bother you.

Now if I can just figure out a way to avoid ingesting all that sodium from breathing the sea air.:rolleyes:

Sadly, it WAS on of the things that set X apart. At least on the S class, the pitchers are gone. Just another attempt to get us to buy bottled water. The cruiseline beancounters are well aware of what Evian spells backward.

As a physician, drinking more water will not always help you "flush" out too much sodium. Your kidneys are remarkable organs that do a wonderful job keeping the correct amount of sodium (and other electrolytes) and water at their proper balance. They can adjust to an unbelievable wide range of concentrations, but can be overwhelmed depending on medications, disease processes, and changes in diet.

We just returned from the Equinox transatlantic and we asked our room steward for a pitcher and we had water for the rest of the cruise.

Folks, as we are all aware, bottled water and global warming, due to the endeavors of we Americans, are two of the world's greatest scams. Simply stated, we have never had a problem with the tap water on any Celebrity ship upon which we have cruised; and, we are experienced cruisers.

Also, if you cruise AQ, then your concerns are relieved since you receive a plethora of bottled water. We do not really care about it, but it is nice to take to the beach.

I stick with the first few words of my first post above.

I think this thread presents both viewpoints and has all of the comments I've read about the subject on past threads.

The only other thing I'll add is that I am not generally a bottled water fan. It is very seldom that I use bottled water and think that in general it is a huge waste. But it does have a time and place for some and one of those for me is on the ship. But as you can see there are many who have no issue, and I'd encourage you to try the tap water keeping an eye out to see if some of the issues above bother you.

Now if I can just figure out a way to avoid ingesting all that sodium from breathing the sea air.:rolleyes:

I feel the same way. We don't generally drink bottled water but we do on the ship. Maybe we don't have enough experience to have an opinion on the subject.;)

I hate to think what we are taking in when we inhale that Lake Michigan air. :D

I'm well aware that some of you have been having a good chuckle at my comment that breathing salt air increases swelling due to increased sodium levels in the body. My belief of this came from text books I studied when in Med school years ago - a long, long time ago :D. Since I am not prone to stubbornly stand my ground if I'm wrong, I searched the web looking for current information to support my belief. Well, that information is not forthcoming, at least in all the places I searched. So, I may be incorrect. I now retract my comment, and look at this discussion as part of the process of learning new things.

Although I did not locate data to back me up, I did locate the following information which I thought would be interesting to fans of the Millenium class ships and their thalassotherapy pools.

Consider this my mea culpa:

Sea Air

Deep breathing of ocean air helps us to relax and let go. The faint smell of salt in the air can take us to a place of pure joy. Sea air has a certain aliveness found no where else. This deep breathing can help release tension and the problems associated with it.

Thalassotherapy (from the Greek word thalassos, meaning “sea”) is the medical use of seawater. The properties of seawater are believed to have beneficial effects upon the pores of the skin. Thalassotherapy was developed in seaside towns in France during the 19th century. Trace elements of magnesium, potassium, calcium sulphates and sodium, found in seawater, are believed to be absorbed through the skin. The therapy is applied in various forms, as either showers of warmed seawater, application of marine mud or of algae paste, or the inhalation of sea fog. Spas often use hot seawater and provide mud and seaweed wrapping services.

I would defer to the opinion of our medically educated friends for their comments, but we have a filter in our fridge and we have been drinking filtered water for years. One day, it occurred to me that that device was probably filtering out flourides from our water; hence, I now draw my ice from the fridge, but draw the water from the tap. Is this a regimen we should continue to pursue? Also, the containers that we utilize for our beach trips of about 100 times per year, are not the type used for the bottled water, which can easily trap considerable bacteria.

Archived