Celebrity Tap Water

SRayman

Any thoughts on the quality of the tap water on Celebrity?

We are on the Equinox in December and the decision whether we need a beverage package will depend on the quality of the tap water. Thanks.

Any thoughts on the quality of the tap water on Celebrity?

We are on the Equinox in December and the decision whether we need a beverage package will depend on the quality of the tap water. Thanks.

I survived quite well on the Mercury tap water for 9 days. Our room attendant kept the ice bucket filled, so ice water was always available.

Of course I did have a few martinis each day to counter any possible ill effects ;).

Seriously, it was fine and I'm even picky about which brand of bottled water I drink..

This is a frequently debated topic as some enjoy the ship's tap water and some do not. Also some believe that 100% of the water on the ship is from a desalination process which they claim makes very pure water but this is not the case.

Our observations are as follows:

1. On most celebrity cruises we've found the tap water tastes just fine but on one or two we've found that the water had a heavily treated taste.

2. Also on a couple of cruises we've seen tap water flowing from the taps which was a dark color. Explanation was that it was sediment from "stirring the tanks" but was safe to drink - might have been safe but was very unappealing.

3. We've seen them connecting the ship to ports' potable water supplies to fill their tanks, so while the ships do have desalinization capabilities they apparently are not always used. Anyone who does not believe this is welcome to check the photos here.

4. Our own experience is that we feel bloated/swelling effects from the sodium in the water. Now it could be that for whatever reason we are more sensitive than others as some do not feel this but we do know several other frequent cruisers who also experience the swelling and attribute it to the sodium content of the water. Perhaps it is because we normally have very low sodium diets and/or because there is more sodium in the cruise food too and because of that the sodium in the water pushes us over our body's limit. But for whatever reason we've found, on many occasions, that if we switch to bottled water we do not have this issue.

For all these reasons we now drink bottled water on board for almost all of our daily water needs. We do not avoid the ships water all together as we enjoy ice in our drinks as well as the ships coffee, tea and juice (from concentrate) as well as occasional glasses of tap water. We buy the Evian on board in large bottles ($4 + gratuity for a 1/5 liter bottle in the spring of 2010) and occasionally bring on some bottled water if they are selling it at a port store.

I'll add that Equinox is one of Celebrity's newest ships and during our one cruise on her we did not experience either of the issues I listed in points 1 or 2 above.

My mind was made up when I had dinner at the head table with one of the engineers. His job was the water on the ship. He bypassed the bottle water and drank tap water. If he believes in it enough to drink it. It's good enough for me

4. Our own experience is that we feel bloated/swelling effects from the sodium in the water. Now it could be that for whatever reason we are more sensitive than others as some do not feel this but we do know several other frequent cruisers who also experience the swelling and attribute it to the sodium content of the water. Perhaps it is because we normally have very low sodium diets and/or because there is more sodium in the cruise food too and because of that the sodium in the water pushes us over our body's limit. But for whatever reason we've found, on many occasions, that if we switch to bottled water we do not have this issue.

This is odd! Most bottled water is only filtered tap water - it is rarely the super pure mountain spring water they would like you to believe. Most bottleing plants are in major city areas and use the municipal water system as their source. The tap water on a ship will almost always have less sodium than bottled water because sodium is taken out during the treatment process, but it is not from the majority of bottled water. Water made on a ship will have virtually all minerals and impurities taken out during the process. Certain minerals will be introduced near the end of the process to make the water taste better, but not sodium. It is very carefully controlled, while bottled water usually is not.

Bottom line - the ship's water will almost always be lower in sodium than typical bottled water.

This is odd! Most bottled water is only filtered tap water - it is rarely the super pure mountain spring water they would like you to believe. Most bottleing plants are in major city areas and use the municipal water system as their source. The tap water on a ship will almost always have less sodium than bottled water because sodium is taken out during the treatment process, but it is not from the majority of bottled water. Water made on a ship will have virtually all minerals and impurities taken out during the process. Certain minerals will be introduced near the end of the process to make the water taste better, but not sodium. It is very carefully controlled, while bottled water usually is not.

Bottom line - the ship's water will almost always be lower in sodium than typical bottled water.

While your bottom line conclusion might sound intuitive it has not been our observation. While it might seem odd to you the fact is that we have experienced the kind of bloated swelling that is attributable to above average sodium intake as have others we've met both on cruise critic and on cruises. This clearly doesn't impact most cruisers but it is an issue for some of us. If this wasn't an issue for my wife and I then I'd drink the tap water most of the time as on 90% of the cruises we've been on it tasted fine and looked clear and colorless. I'd say decide for yourself.

I'll also add that your post implied all the tap water is made through the ships desalination facility but as I posted above I've seen them bringing water on at ports. On our last cruise, the Millennium out of San Juan, I was paying a little more attention to this than usual and noticed that they did this at almost every port. I suspect it has something to do with economics - probably cheaper to bring the water on than process it on board. Maybe one of these cruises I'll ask one of the officers about this.

Larry, it may be that the newest ships in the fleet like Equinox use RO to filter the water and the slightly older ones like the M-class ships still use desalination. RO would lead to little/no salt added, and with desalination they add in minerals afterward.

I don't think the desalinated stuff tastes bad, it's like the difference between Aquafina (which has nothing added) and Dasani (which has some minerals- including a little extra salt- added).

I agree with Larry. The tap water onboard does TASTE alright, but I have found that after drinking it for a few days, my hands and feet do swell. So consequently I do buy the bottled water onboard (Avian), and that problem is eliminated.

Larry, it may be that the newest ships in the fleet like Equinox use RO to filter the water and the slightly older ones like the M-class ships still use desalination. RO would lead to little/no salt added, and with desalination they add in minerals afterward....

I did run into the swelling issue (hands and feet) once again on an Equinox cruise we took last fall. I complained to my wife about it and she reminded me that a switch to bottled water might help and that did the trick within a day with no more issues during the remainder of the 14 night cruise. I mentioned it to our table mates and some of them indicated they had similar issues in the past which is why they drank bottled water exclusively. On our last cruise, the Millennium, we drank bottled water from the start.

As I say, I totally believe others that most have no issue. But it is clear some do. I will also add that we drink a lot of water a day, my wife and I were going through 4 or 5 bottles a day on our recent Caribbean cruise and probably 3 or 4 a day on our last European cruise.

The food you eat and toiletries/cosmetics you use (on board and on dry land) have many more contaminants than the average tap water. It's a waste of time and money to avoid tap water when there are pesticides, hormones, antibiotics and bacteria in the food and a wide range of chemicals in everything else that touches your body.

Bottled water is about branding and marketing, not health.

While it does taste fine, due to the purification process used, it does have extra sodium in it. You cannot taste it, but if you are sensitive to sodium, drink bottled.

All rainwater is in fact desalinated sea water, sun-clouds-rain etc..., and the best rated bottled waters generally have a higher sodium content than any desalination plant would be allowed to operate at.

So go ahead and drink the tap water, and for that extra special taste pop a bottle in the cabin fridge.

Even low amounts of sodium to someone who doesn't usually ingest much salt can cause them to retain water, so I can understand your issue Larry.

It is definitely good to know about ahead of time because I typically drink a lot of water myself. I haven't been on Celebrity before and we're only off on our 2nd cruise soon, so I'll keep it in mind. Of course, it could also be from me eating way too much good food :D

We've had swelling issues --- for us we have found that all commercially prepared food has a ton more sodium than we're use to at home. Since we eat a lot on a cruise we are consuming 3 to 4 times our normal sodium intake on a cruise. Salt makes thing taste better :rolleyes:

We counter act it by drinking more water and it does the trick

We were told they add minerals back for the health of the crew - otherwise it is essentially distilled water. The lack of minerals wouldn't matter for the passengers, but the crew drinks it for many months.

ps -- we've always found the water in the pitcher in th cabin very good and it's one of the little things that sets Celebrity apart. We miss it when we're on other lines.

At home we drink R/O water.

I am on a sodium restricted diet and always let Celebrity know this. See below:

My wife now also insist on bottled water (I'm on the fence) but for sure no more feet swelling after the low sodium diet.

Special Dietary Requirements

Celebrity satisfies a variety of dietary needs. Menu selections include "Lean and Light", meeting standards recommended by the American Diabetes Association and the American Cancer Society for reduced fat content, children's menus and Pacific Northwest specialties. We are happy to accommodate your special dietary requirements such as vegetarian, kosher, diabetic, low-fat, low-sodium, low-cholesterol, gluten-free and lactose-free diets. Once you have booked your cruise, please contact special_needs@celebrity.com or call 1-800-722-5472 xt 34492 with your dietary request.

I am on a sodium restricted diet and always let Celebrity know this. See below:

My wife now also insist on bottled water (I'm on the fence) but for sure no more feet swelling after the low sodium diet.

Special Dietary Requirements

Celebrity satisfies a variety of dietary needs. Menu selections include "Lean and Light", meeting standards recommended by the American Diabetes Association and the American Cancer Society for reduced fat content, children's menus and Pacific Northwest specialties. We are happy to accommodate your special dietary requirements such as vegetarian, kosher, diabetic, low-fat, low-sodium, low-cholesterol, gluten-free and lactose-free diets. Once you have booked your cruise, please contact special_needs@celebrity.com or call 1-800-722-5472 xt 34492 with your dietary request.

This brings up a good point. The food you eat on a cruise is richer than what you would normally eat at home. Sodium levels are higher in these richer foods than the typical food we eat at home. Plus, the salt environment, including the salty air around us and the salt water used in the pools all contribute to added sodium intake on a cruise. It's not the water made on the ship that we drink, but everything combined that may affect some people. Every breath you take on a cruise increases the sodium level in your body to higher levels than what you would experience at home. To Lsimon in the Chicago area, this would certainly have some affect.

This brings up a good point. The food you eat on a cruise is richer than what you would normally eat at home. Sodium levels are higher in these richer foods than the typical food we eat at home. Plus, the salt environment, including the salty air around us and the salt water used in the pools all contribute to added sodium intake on a cruise. It's not the water made on the ship that we drink, but everything combined that may affect some people. Every breath you take on a cruise increases the sodium level in your body to higher levels than what you would experience at home. To Lsimon in the Chicago area, this would certainly have some affect.

Sodium intake from breathing the air? And from swimming in a pool? Now if that isn't the most unbelievable thing I've ever heard! Please show us any reference from any credible source that says breathing sea air increases one's sodium intake!

We have had the same problem with swelling of hands and feet. We never have this problem at home and since we started drinking the Evian we don't have the problem on a cruise. The ship's water tastes fine and certainly won't make you sick, but it's more comfortable for us to not have to deal with the retention issues.

By the way, there is a difference in sodium content in bottled waters as well and Evian is one that has a lower sodium content than many. Many mineral waters are high in sodium.

So I guess I would say try it and if it doesn't bother you...great. If you have the problem of swelling, it's probably the water and you can switch.

ps -- we've always found the water in the pitcher in th cabin very good and it's one of the little things that sets Celebrity apart. We miss it when we're on other lines.

At home we drink R/O water.

Sadly, it WAS on of the things that set X apart. At least on the S class, the pitchers are gone. Just another attempt to get us to buy bottled water. The cruiseline beancounters are well aware of what Evian spells backward.

As a physician, drinking more water will not always help you "flush" out too much sodium. Your kidneys are remarkable organs that do a wonderful job keeping the correct amount of sodium (and other electrolytes) and water at their proper balance. They can adjust to an unbelievable wide range of concentrations, but can be overwhelmed depending on medications, disease processes, and changes in diet.

Archived