Veendam Straight to Hamilton Again

KBC

Saw the Veendam sailing by into Hamilton around 10:45 this morning having skipped the tendering at St. Georges again. We are on the island for 2 weeks and it was lovely to see her passing by despite the heavy rain...

Saw the Veendam sailing by into Hamilton around 10:45 this morning having skipped the tendering at St. Georges again. We are on the island for 2 weeks and it was lovely to see her passing by despite the heavy rain...

I understand from another post that Veendam skipped st. Georges due to a diversion associated with a rescue at sea and not weather conditions. Has rain/wind been ongoing?

I understand from another post that Veendam skipped st. Georges due to a diversion associated with a rescue at sea and not weather conditions. Has rain/wind been ongoing?

I believe that was the cruise from May 16 ~ 23 OP was referring to. Weather would have been the reason for this pass by. I would love to see them come up with a solution that would help St George out on this as far as tourist $$'s coming into town and to avoid the troubles of tendering. The free day travel pass from Hamilton to St George is a good step, now if they could get some of the resturants in St George to come on board with some deals (HAL to offset the costs in some way) to entice people to stay there for the day. NCL did offer sometime back lunch/dinner vouchers. It wasn't a bad deal.

That was LAST week. Next week the captain has a tee off time at Port Royal at 9.30. ;)

Stephen

I should have included todays date, Tuesday 25th May in the title..... Thankfully the weather has cleared nicely. I was chatting with a few very happy HAL passengers during last week who were returning to the ship by ferry from St. Georges to Hamilton (goes via the Dockyard). We were simply enjoying the ride and took our scooters onboard the ferry.

Flying home to the UK this afternoon. I recall a couple of years ago. it was raining when we left for the airport and the taxi driver assured us that Bermuda was crying because we were leaving - I felt a little the same myself!!! Still I am missing my Bichons far to much to stay any longer :p

There is an is an interesting video of the May 17th sea rescue of one of the Veendam's passengers who apparently fell on one of the stair cases. You can watch it at http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/news/local_news/Coast_Guard_Rescues_88_Year_Old_Cruise_Ship_Passenger_

Thank you for sharing that video with us. I was onboard the Veendam when this rescue occured. My DH and I happened to have breakfast one morning with a couple of women who were travelling with the injured women. She had fallen but did not remember it and after being treated by the ship's doctor, she returned to her cabin. Later in the evening she started experiencing some major distress and it was determined that she needed hospitalization. Our breakfast companions had been in touch with the woman's son and were told that she had suffered a concussion but was doing okay.

There is an is an interesting video of the May 17th sea rescue of one of the Veendam's passengers who apparently fell on one of the stair cases. You can watch it at http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/news/local_news/Coast_Guard_Rescues_88_Year_Old_Cruise_Ship_Passenger_

Good stuff! What you're hearing in the audio is the helo's USCG crew chief/hoist operator talking to the (female) pilot in command/the pilot flying the aircraft. He's giving her the "play by play" since she can't see the actual hoist from her vantage point in front. As stated before' date=' those Coasties do great work:) plus.....everytime they go out, they put their lives on the line[/color']

What...you're going on another cruise already:D. Take me with you....please......:p.

Told ya!!!! You would be begging for another cruise within 2 weeks----well I guess it's closer to three. ;)

So does that mean we'll head straight to Hamilton on June 1?:p

Oh dear, 1st June looks like a day in St George I'm afraid. Captain is waterskiing that day in St Georges Harbour.

But it will be a nice sunny day for you I'm sure and you will enjoy the day in the Olde Towne.

Stephen

• 2 weeks later...

Been trying to find out if Veendam was able to tender to St. George on this current cruise. Couldn't seem to find anything. We're sailing this Sunday 6/6 and would love to go straight to Hamilton and use the pass to go to St. G on bus or ferry!!!

Been trying to find out if Veendam was able to tender to St. George on this current cruise. Couldn't seem to find anything. We're sailing this Sunday 6/6 and would love to go straight to Hamilton and use the pass to go to St. G on bus or ferry!!!

Yes, she did tender into St George this week. Weather wise is has been perfect week here.

18 knot S'ly winds forecast for next Monday. Don't know what is coming after that.

Perhaps by Saturday I can give you a better idea.

Stephen

Yes, she did tender into St George this week. Weather wise is has been perfect week here.

18 knot S'ly winds forecast for next Monday. Don't know what is coming after that.

Perhaps by Saturday I can give you a better idea.

Stephen

Capt, when you have a chance, which second tender are they using besides the Bermudian? Thanks!

Archived