There's no place like "Homer"... If you like getting overcharged

maryjomo

We are parked at Homer Spit, which is a good 3 miles or so from the main center of town. The closest attractions are some shops which are a miles walk along the water. Being relatively young, a one mile walk is not an issue, but given the median age of folks on our cruise, the majority chose not to do so. Our ship is docked next to a huge garbage trow and the wind is blowing a frangrant aroma onto the decks.

Homer, appears charming from a distance, but that is as close as we got. We never got a chance to see the downtown. After my family made it's way off the ship and approached the town shuttles, we were met with the information that unlike Anchorage, the shuttle was not free.

In fact, it costs 15 dollars a person round trip, and does not even take you to the shops located near the ship, but rather into town which has limited offerings in terms of shopping.

I am on the same cruise and would like to clarify that even though the shuttle cost was not in the newsletter it was announced on the intercom and it was explained that there were 5 stops. I'm sorry you did not realize that since then you could have taken the shuttle to the shops 'near' the ship, the ones on the Spit since there were shuttle stops there, including one at the Sawlty Dog at the lighthouse.

I'm not sure where you were on the ship that you smelled garbage. I certainly did not smell any garbage from anyplace where I stood outdoors on the ship.

I do agree with you that $15 per person seemed high, but I also wanted to set the record straight that besides having stops in town, there were also stops out on the Spit for the shops there. That is why it was considered an 'on/off' bus, rather than just a shuttle.

Don't hold your breath on a different location to "park" the ship in Homer;). It's a town with a population of about 5,500 souls, give or take a few. The map shows the harbor and the single Deep Water Dock. Sure looks like that's it, and it doesn't look like there are any other options available to berth a large cruise ship

New_Image.gif

Port & Harbor Facilities

U are correct which makes me wonder why the ship is visiting there at all?

Seems, IMO anyway, that using some of these out of the way 'dinky' little places is an act of desperation for the cruiselines..They seem to believe they constantly need new places to visit or folks won't come even though a lot of the places aren't really worth a visit at all and I do not just mean Alaska either..some spots in Mexico & the Caribbean also spring to mind...

Why not simply stay overnite in some of the larger more interesting centers like they do in Hawaii etc. so folks can visit more attractions in each place than they can while only in a port for a few hours time?

Just wonderin'! :)

I don't need alot of bells and whistles in every port.

I'm on a ship so I can see places I may never find on my own. Homer sounds like one of them.

You are talking about Alaska...the wilderness...outdoors...Homer seems to be just that kind of place.:)

I'm with you, Bakincakes! Looking forward to our visit to Homer! The more out of the way and obscure, the better in my book!:p

Have a great visit!!

When I visit places like that I love to talk to the people who live there.

Why do they live there? Choice...were they born there...what keeps them there...sometimes the people offer so much in the way of understanding our country....you may get one gem of information that will make your visit priceless.:)

Seems, IMO anyway, that using some of these out of the way 'dinky' little places is an act of desperation for the cruiselines..They seem to believe they constantly need new places to visit or folks won't come even though a lot of the places aren't really worth a visit at all and I do not just mean Alaska either..some spots in Mexico & the Caribbean also spring to mind...

Well, some people want to visit more rural, out of the way places and not just tourist stops. This is one place were we would probably never end up unless off of a cruise ship. Alaska is about the wilderness. We liked Haines certainly better than walking into town in Juneau and Ketchikan where we were surrounded by tons of tourist traps and shops.

We personally have no interest in taking a cruise with all the same exact ports from a previous one.

.They seem to believe they constantly need new places to visit or folks won't come even though a lot of the places aren't really worth a visit at all and I do not just mean Alaska either..some spots in Mexico & the Caribbean also spring to mind...

Which places do you not like in both the Caribbean and Mexico that you think should be avoided? Just wonderin?

I am with a lot of the posters who like out of the way places. I can buy a tee shirt anywhere, I am not that into jewlery (much to my husband's delight), and I try to avoid trinkets at all possible costs.

I would rather have a great meal or an interesting experience anyday!

Homer sounds interesting...:)

It will be interesting to hear of different experiences as this port gets a bit more traffic...

Keep the posts coming!

Well, some people want to visit more rural, out of the way places and not just tourist stops. This is one place were we would probably never end up unless off of a cruise ship. Alaska is about the wilderness. We liked Haines certainly better than walking into town in Juneau and Ketchikan where we were surrounded by tons of tourist traps and shops.

Visit these places while you can. I can still remember my first cruise to Alaska in the 1970s when Juneau and Ketchikan were still relatively unspoiled. What a shock when I returned with my son in 2002!

$15/pp sounds like a lot of cash...but did anyone observe the price of gas in the Homer area? It is probably close to $4.00/gallon! I have been traveling to/from the Anchorage/Kenai Peninsula area for a number of years and most everything is more expensive in Alaska due to its remote location.

Homer is not a desparation port by HAL. It is a destination for many people who love Alaska.

Please don't take one person's bad experience (and poor judgment in choosing not to pay for the shuttle) as the last word on Homer.

We personally have no interest in taking a cruise with all the same exact ports from a previous one.

That is exactly why we choose this itinerary.It affords me to see all the places we did not on our first landcruise .So looking forward to our June 14 cruise.Love the On Off Bus concept have done it many times in Europe and here in the States,You get to see and learn the most from these tours.

I am planning on keeping as much of an upbeat attitude as I can.Worked long and hard for this 2 week Vacation

Never ceases to amaze me how one will complain about the $15 charge for the shuttle, when they already spent a lot of money for the cruise & flight and perhaps a pernight hotel, just to get to Alaska in the first place. Now compare that to what they spend on board the ship daily for drinks and/or dinner. The shame is not on Holland America but rather on the person who begrudges themselves the simple luxury of seeing something that they looked so forward to by not spending the additional $15.

U are correct which makes me wonder why the ship is visiting there at all?

Why not simply stay overnite in some of the larger more interesting centers like they do in Hawaii etc. so folks can visit more attractions in each place than they can while only in a port for a few hours time?

I'd rather stop in some 'dinky' little places than some of the over-commercialized ones filled with t-shirt shops and those selling the same stuff you can buy in the Caribbean.

Amen, Peter! Why in the world wouldn't you want to visit someplace new and different and a bit off the beaten path instead of the same old, same old. Go figure....:rolleyes:

Some Americans travel to Europe and eat McDonald's there - go figure! :D

I enjoyed Sitka a lot more than Ketchikan ,for example. I can't say I did not enjoy Juneau... but if you take away the helicopter-landing-on-a-glacier thrill it might look different.

We've chosen this itinerary in June 2011 there are so few opportunities for the longer cruises that can take advantage of the real Alaska - I look forward to seeing these "off the beaten path" locations - having done Mexico more times than I can count, berthing in an area that isnt cruise ship "friendly" shouldnt be an issue for this very exciting itinerary!

I am on the same cruise and would like to clarify that even though the shuttle cost was not in the newsletter it was announced on the intercom and it was explained that there were 5 stops. I'm sorry you did not realize that since then you could have taken the shuttle to the shops 'near' the ship, the ones on the Spit since there were shuttle stops there, including one at the Sawlty Dog at the lighthouse.

Thank you for posting that! I am so happy to read that I will be able to get out to the end of the spit this time. And, I'll be able to visit in town, too! :) This is great.

I just hope Homer hasn't changed like the other ports I first visited in '90 did. Very sad to see what Ketchikan became. :(

Didn't they just have to recind the head tax a bit to encourage cruiselines & folks to visit there again??

They passed a bill to lower the head tax, but it doesn't go into effect until 2011.

It is strange how so many people jump on the negative posts from one poster.Maybe they should have done more research on the ports they were going to visit.We have had a very active thread on tips and generalized question/info on the Holland Roll Call Board.As this is the first cruise of its kind I am greatful for feedback,but tend to believe NMLady who has been on the board since it started..I am glad to know of the cost for the On Off Bus and will plan accordingly.Most of our tours have been prebooked and paid in advance leaving us with spending money to enjoy.I am not planning on spending more then a couple of hours shopping the entire trip.I will be greatful to find some souveniers that were made in Alaska,don't want to buy anything made in China.

I am looking forward to walking the Spit stopping for an Alaskan brew,visiting the Time Bandit Booth,Doing Our Taste of Homer Tour in pm and still have a lot of time to take in a museum before heading back to the ship.

I don't really think 15$ pp R/T use of it all day is expensive at all.The shuttle to Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau is 14 pp R/T,and nobody seems to be upset with that.

I thought the same thing.

I'm not sure where you were on the ship that you smelled garbage. I certainly did not smell any garbage from anyplace where I stood outdoors on the ship.

I do agree with you that $15 per person seemed high, but I also wanted to set the record straight that besides having stops in town, there were also stops out on the Spit for the shops there. That is why it was considered an 'on/off' bus, rather than just a shuttle.

Thanks for your additional info. We stayed in Homer 2 nights on our first Alaska trip in 2007, and I loved it. Of course - it helped to have a rental car. While my first impression of the Spit wasn't very good, it grew on me. My favorite thing was the Gull Island cruise with lunch at the Otter Cove Resort.

I can't say I did not enjoy Juneau... but if you take away the helicopter-landing-on-a-glacier thrill it might look different.

It sure does! Our Glacier landing was canceled. It was pouring rain and all we saw were a lot of shops, hence my comments.

I am sympathetic to the OP's complaint. I agree that the information about the shuttle, including pricing, should not be a surprise and should be widely available. The customer service reps at the main HAL office should have this information for those of us who are either considering this cruise or are already booked (as we are). The daily papers on the ship should publish the information. We cruisers cannot make informed planning decisions without it. I appreciate the OP's efforts to distribute this information, while HAL seems to be lax in this regard.

Many HAL shore excursions in Homer appear to be grossly overpriced, when compared with the prices charged directly by the vendor. For example, HAL's kayak excursion across Kachemak Bay to Eldred Passage costs $239 pp for a 6 hour trip (1030 -1630). The vendor (Homer Ocean Charters) offers a full day (900-1700) kayaking trip to the same area for $135 pp. HAL has a Gull Island/Kachemak Bay cruise for $99 pp (adults) and $59 pp (kids). The vendor offers the cruise for $80 pp (adults) and $30 pp (kids). HAL's Glacier Lake Interpretive Hike (1000-1530) costs $199, while the vendor's hike (0900-1600) costs $125 pp. HAL offers a 6 hour Seldovia Cruise with Gull Island for $114 pp (adults) and $69 pp (kids). Another vendor (Seldovia Bay Ferry) offers a 6 hour Seldovia Cruise with Gull island for $59 pp (adults) and $30 (kids). Am I the only one who thinks there's a greater disparity between ship and vendor pricing in Homer, when compared with other Alaska towns?

With the reasonable prices offered directly by a number of these vendors, many families would choose to book one of these excursions in advance if they knew the price of the shuttle was $15 pp, without a discount for kids (I assume). Thanks, OP, for the information!

Archived