Just got the upgrade email for Owners Suite

tammi0916

Hi!

We are sailing on the Fascination on 7/10 in a GS (my, hubby and DD) - I just rec'd the following email:

Dear Guest,

I am thrilled to announce I have a last minute opening on our unadvertised Owners Penthouse Suite for your sail date on the Carnival Fascination. Trust me you won’t regret looking into this, there is no deadline but it is first come first serve so no guarantees on its availability since this is a once in a lifetime chance for anyone looking to travel in luxury to do so. Please reach out to me at 1 800 xxxx Ext XXXX for details in regard to pricing.

Here is a virtual tour of the Owners Penthouse Suite:

So of course I called, I really wanted to know what the price was - boy was he selling it! He even offered me BOTH suites for us. Ultimately, the price was an additional $1800 for us for one suite and if my parents who are in an ocean view room would like to upgrade to the other connecting suite it would be ONLY and additional $2500 for them.

I politely declined (with much regret! - who awesome would that be!) for both us and my parents!

Oh well! Maybe another time!!!!:(

~Tammi:cool:

It sure was nice being asked but can't justify the additional $1800

It must be like $500 a day on the upsell fairys list.. everyone has prices from $1500 (on very short cruises) on up.

He was really selling it - he stated that the rate for this cruise in the Owners Suite was about $7500 so based on what I paid and the additional $1800 it was a great deal - not sure for who but not for us!!!:mad:

Tam

I just noticed that the youtube video has had over 10,000 views. From that I surmise that the Carnival upgrade folks are sending that email out to a lot of people. It probably does its job of getting people to call to talk about upgrades even if few would ever take them up on that particular upgrade. The offer likely helps the sell much more modest upgrades.

That's quite the room!

I just noticed that the youtube video has had over 10,000 views. From that I surmise that the Carnival upgrade folks are sending that email out to a lot of people. It probably does its job of getting people to call to talk about upgrades even if few would ever take them up on that particular upgrade. The offer likely helps the sell much more modest upgrades.

That's quite the room!

Actually they are sending people there... check out the comments on the video at Youtube...

Thanks for the video! Carnival directed me to your page when they were talking me into upgrading to the owners suite. In fact this is what sold me. You should get a free upgrade. I'm so excited!! I watch your video every few days because I can't wait. Thanks again and great job!

He was really selling it - he stated that the rate for this cruise in the Owners Suite was about $7500 so based on what I paid and the additional $1800 it was a great deal - not sure for who but not for us!!!:mad:

Tam

Maybe Tom and Cheryl will see this post. I believe they have sailed in the Owner's Suite several times. They could probably tell you if it is a good price.

That would be the cost of another cruise for us. I think I would have to decline too. But I'm sure you are going to have a good time anyway! Right!

I would have a good time even if I was sleeping in the lifeboats! But it would be sweet to stay in the Owners Suite, but seriously we have a wonderful Garden Suite for 3 of us so it is more than enough.... we will have a blast.

Tam:D

They must not have had any takers! I just got a call from the guy I spoke with yesterday and wanted to know if I would be willing to pay $1500 for the suite (so he came down $300).

Told him no still too much since we already paid alot for our GS that we just can't justify spending that much.

He gave me the hard sell again about how it is an opportunity that not many get so I should consider it. I told him that if he would accept $500 for the upgrade we would be interested - so to just consider it and call me back!

Doubt I'll get a call back, but oh well..... it won't change me from having fun in my GS Suite!

Tam:cool:

Thats allot of cake. I do think it's funny how they sell it like crazy over the phone. I had a guy last month call trying to sell us into a suite from balcony, started going over every little detail of the suite. I stopped him and told him we'd had suites before so knew what they looked like, he paused and kept on going! I declined, but gotta love the wholehearted pitch they throw at ya....

On our last cruise, Norwegian, we got an upsale call from an AB cabin to one of the Garden Villa's! The price was $2000. since there were two different families in the AB, we took the upgrade. Wonderful home, I just can't call that space a cabin. We had 17 people sailing, needless to say, our (home) was well shared.

I would love to know how often these are filled. We were upgraded for free on the Esctasy a couple of years back. Never knew these rooms existed before that. It is a great room but I guess the question is at what cost.

There are some really out there prices for upsell to a suite. All depends what you already paid for a cabin. :eek: We have had 3 calls in the last year we took 1 for $800 to a GS from a 8A. The other 2 were way out of line for what you get.

Monkey1.jpg.0ce70b6e2ddc7e6529e0d631cb78c3cf.jpg

Your right on both counts. It is interesting that posts about these on pricing are all over the place (at least that is the way I see it). Carnival has dramatically changed their approach on these cabins as well (in terms of how they market them).

Your right on both counts. It is interesting that posts about these on pricing are all over the place (at least that is the way I see it). Carnival has dramatically changed their approach on these cabins as well (in terms of how they market them).

I agree - it would be nice to get the call for an upgrade that wasn't more that what you paid for the cruise. :eek: I would think they would rather get a little more money to get someone to use the room because then they could fill their orginal cabin so it's always a win for them as well as the good will you get from that customer.

I would pay a few hundred to upgrade but never 1500 - 1800 hundred!

Tam

I agree - it would be nice to get the call for an upgrade that wasn't more that what you paid for the cruise. :eek: I would think they would rather get a little more money to get someone to use the room because then they could fill their orginal cabin so it's always a win for them as well as the good will you get from that customer.

I would pay a few hundred to upgrade but never 1500 - 1800 hundred!

Tam

In general, the upsell program has been a huge success (for them). It really came about due to the terrible year in 09 and all cruise companies started looking for ways to increase profit (and revenue) and cut costs. How it is applied is still somewhat questionable. All I see are contacts made through PVP's to people who booked directly through Carnival, not TA's.

The point is (I guess) that these seemingly random calls and high prices actually turn people off. How do they identify who to call? What is the logic to their selection? Are they flexible on the pricing? All un-answered questions from my perspective.

Archived