Alaska Ships with Covered Pool

TexasMommy

My kids are total water nuts. We are thinking of booking an Alaskan cruise. Of course on that vacation there won't be warm sandy beaches :o like we are used to enjoying. Seeing Alaska and it's wonders will be worth missing the sun and fun...but as a compromise we at least want a warm, covered pool on the ship. (I hear the uncovered pools are very, very cold...basically not usable.)

Can anyone list and provide any comments on what Ships have a covered pool AND that allows kids to use them? THANKS THANKS THANKS.

Some have pools but for 'adults only' I understand?

We have sailed Disney 7 times and their sailing to Alaska is really what got us to pondering Alaska in the first place....but their pools are outside and plus I was hoping for a ship with more "glass" to see the sights.

So we've crossed Disney off the list. I was thinking Carnival Spirit maybe or Princess? Again, I'm having problems researching the kid pool situation.

Any ship recommendations would be very appreciated. I posted this on the family board too but thought the Alaska board would prob have some Alaska cruising experts. Right? :)

Holland America has a pool on with a retractable roof that is open in nice, sunny weather, and closed when the weather goes bad. Kids galore and they seem to be having a ball! There is also an outdoor pool on the aft deck. For the adults - nothing finer than sailing by a gorgeous blue glacier while relaxing in the on-deck hot tubs - adult beverage close by. Would highly recommend HAL - great ships, great crew, excellent kids program, and varied age groups sailing for Alaskan cruises. Don't buy into the "HAL is for the elderly" bunk - we've sailed with them twice to Alaska and are about to set sail with them to Alaska again on Memorial Day - its just not true. Alaska attracts cruise ship passengers from toddlers to the elderly - on ALL ships. Go, enjoy - you're gonna love it!

I sailed on the Radiance of the seas in April and it has a beautiful solarium covered pool. Rumor has it that the 'retraction' doesn't work and I've never seen photos where the retractable roof was open. The solarium is adult only in warm sailings but might allow children on Alaska sailings so that is something to check. A Beautiful ship. You mentioned 'all glass' and the Radiance class is just that. Floor to ceiling windows in most every area. It had an excellent crew and would be great for Alaska.

I choose the Amsterdam because of the itinerary. It has one covered pool. The vista class on HAL also has a covered pool however I would probably recommend RCL over HAL for your family, especially if you liked Disney. RCL is going to be closer match simply because it offers the Rock Climbing Wall, water slides, etc... But only you know how active your children are and Alaska should be chosen for the itinerary first and ship second (imho).

I have also sailed on Princess which, as mentioned, offers covered pools on many ships sailing Alaska. I believe that HAL and Princess offer better itininaries in Alaska when you consider which Glacier you wish to visit and overall port times. They have been doing Alaska longer.

What a great place to be; deciding among ships to take your children to see this beautiful state! You can't go wrong because the desitnation is that good. Good luck with your decision,

Cheryl :)

By the way kids are 5 & 10. We'll prob not go until 2011 so they'd be 6 & 11. The quality of the kids clubs, the ship's features & activities are all important to us.

As as family, we've sailed DCL 7x, Carnival 2x and Celebrity 1x. Never NCL, HAL or Princess to date. We've sailed RCL 3x but that was a long time ago pre kids.

Thanks again for the info. Prob a bit odd to focus on pools so much, but that will be a enjoyable part of the cruise along with all the other fun features, ports and excursions.

By the way kids are 5 & 10. We'll prob not go until 2011 so they'd be 6 & 11. The quality of the kids clubs, the ship's features & activities are all important to us.

As as family, we've sailed DCL 7x, Carnival 2x and Celebrity 1x. Never NCL, HAL or Princess to date. We've sailed RCL 3x but that was a long time ago pre kids.

Thanks again for the info. Prob a bit odd to focus on pools so much, but that will be a enjoyable part of the cruise along with all the other fun features, ports and excursions.

Not foolish at all especially with kids your age. Even though kids sometimes seem hardier than us adults, there will be times when using the outside pool is just not practical. Whenever we have sailed on a Radiance class ship,and that is frequently, there have always been times when the adults only solarium was open for families. Whenever the weather has made their use of the outdoor pool uncomfortable or difficult, they have usually set aside a couple of hours in the morning and another couple of hours in the afternoon when kids and families were allowed to use the pool. In my experience families who took advantage of this situation were very observant of the time constraints and when the allotted time was over, quickly and quietly departed from the area.

Last time we sailed in Alaska, the ship didn't have a covered pool. This year we will be on Radiance of the Seas and fully intend to make good use of the Solarium while we are on board.:)

Princess's Golden, Diamond, Sapphire, Island and Coral all have a pool wirth a retractable glass roof. The o/p is quite correct about Disney's ships not having a covered pool and some are wondering how they will make out without one when they enter the Alaskan market next year.

Texas Mommy,

2 of my 4 children are competitive swimmers and live in the water. No vacation is complete to them without swimming. We are sailing on the Golden Princess in about 50 days, There is a covered pool and I expect that if we are not on an excursion that is where you'll find them. I have been told that the childrens program is good and there are many activities to take part in such as Chef's at Sea, squid Disection. I will leave a full report upon our return.

We will be sailing on Radiance of the Seas in September to Alaska. It has a covered solarium pool. Does anyone with experience sailing on Radiance in Alaska know what temperature the solarium pool water is kept at? We were on Grandeur to Bermuda from Baltimore last October and the solarium pool was too cold to get in for me. There were very few people using the pool.

I have sailed Radiance twice, once to Alaska and once to Mexico. Both pools were heated and were a nice temp. Just to note, that the Solarium pool on Radiance is an adults only area. We swam in the outdoor pool on several occasions in Alaska. Summer in Alaska can be quite warm in some ports and even if the air is cool, the pool is heated.

Radiance also has a little water park for the youger kids. And there is lots to do for kids of all ages, rock climbing wall, mini golf, etc...

Just off Coral Princess a few days ago; indoor pool area was very nice and lots of room for the kids (right next to ice cream parlor).

Outdoor pool was also nice and heated to about 82! I did go in the outdoor pool when we were in Skagway as it was so sunny and warm - a great feeling being in the pool and hot tub with snowy mountains around you!

DH and I were on this ship to Alaska with Royal Caribbean. Serenade' date=' however, was relocated somewhere else, but that "class" ship have indoor covered pools. Serenade was a LOVELY ship and great pick.[/quote']

I think the Serenade's sister ship is now sailing Alaska.

Beautiful covered pool. Really, really nice.

Google some pics.

I think the Serenade's sister ship is now sailing Alaska.

Beautiful covered pool. Really, really nice.

Google some pics.

You are correct. Radiance of the Seas is doing northbound and southbound Alaska cruises this year and we will be boarding her in a little more than a week.:)

I have sailed Radiance twice, once to Alaska and once to Mexico. Both pools were heated and were a nice temp. Just to note, that the Solarium pool on Radiance is an adults only area. We swam in the outdoor pool on several occasions in Alaska. Summer in Alaska can be quite warm in some ports and even if the air is cool, the pool is heated.

Radiance also has a little water park for the youger kids. And there is lots to do for kids of all ages, rock climbing wall, mini golf, etc...

It sounds like even the outdoor pool on Radiance is heated. I don't know how much it would be used in September when we are sailing to Alaska, but you never know.

It sounds like even the outdoor pool on Radiance is heated. I don't know how much it would be used in September when we are sailing to Alaska, but you never know.

I think it would get plenty of use, probably more than earlier in the season when the outside temperatures might be higher and use of the outside pool would compete with the solarium pool. We'll be on board in a little more than a week and I have two bathing suits set out to take with me.:)

Archived