cruise ship safety

The riff raff don't have the money to sail. Plus they could wind up in Jail in a different country

My wife was physically assaulted (shoved), verbally threatened and called an f'n b**ch by a male Diamond+ member just for doing her job. It's amazing what alcohol and a sense of entitlement can do to people.

Regarding alchol, every woman should be taught to:

1.) NEVER accept a drink from a stranger

2.) NEVER drink anything that looks suspicious (IE: too foamy or a change in color)

3.) ALWAYS keep an eye or your drink and cover it when possible

There are a lot more cameras scattered around the ships. But, never assume someone is actually watching them or they are pointed in your direction. Cameras can give a false sense of security when in fact they are typically used to retrieve information after an event occurs.

My DW and I always travel the corridors together in the late evenings and I always have my room key in hand. I also take note of where the cameras are and where the alarm button is on the elevators. One night we came up on two guys fist fighting in the stairway leading to our corridor, really going at it. The next day, a security guard was posted in our corridor during the sea day then several people were seen hauling their luggage off at the next port.

As always, keep your wits about you.

Has anyone experienced an unsafe or frightening incident while walking in the corridors among the cabins?

I saw some people wearing bathing suits that they should not have been wearing. :eek: that was scary

The riff raff don't have the money to sail. Plus they could wind up in Jail in a different country

What an idiotic thing to say - What makes someone 'Riff Raff' ?

Just because some may not have as much money as you, it doesn't make them criminals or worse people. :mad:

Its people like you who the world tend to dislike - You're not better than anyone else! In fact, coming out with a comment like that just shows what sort of person you really are :rolleyes:

There is a thread on the Carnival board about a crew member who raped a 14 year old girl.

What was the kid doing walking around by herself at night? Who knows..was she coming back from the kids club?

Guess the guy has confessed and is being held in Fla.

Why is the balcony very very unsafe? New cruiser and is now worried about my balcony cabin grrrr

I have been enjoying balconies for many cruises and they are perfectly safe.....I don't understand that remark.....so just go and enjoy your balcony.

I have been enjoying balconies for many cruises and they are perfectly safe.....I don't understand that remark.....so just go and enjoy your balcony.

The only thing I have come across refering to balcony safety related to crime, and this is extremely rare, are theft from rooms in which the persons gained entry through the unlocked balcony doors. Again, this is very, very rare because it requires the person climbing around balcony partitions and are almost certain to be caught on camera.

The only thing I have come across refering to balcony safety related to crime, and this is extremely rare, are theft from rooms in which the persons gained entry through the unlocked balcony doors. Again, this is very, very rare because it requires the person climbing around balcony partitions and are almost certain to be caught on camera.

Anyone who does this deserves to fall into the ocean.

I took this to mean getting into trouble with your SO not nijnas repelling down from above.;)

That's the way I took it as well :cool:.

To the OP, just make sure to sit down with your granddaughter (and probably her parents) to make sure she knows what is expected of her on the ship. I've seen many of our rules in the posts above, but wanted to reiterate a few of the biggies in my mind.

Do not ever let your drink out of your sight. If you do, go get another one. This is one great reason for getting the soda card. No need to pay for another if it is questionable.

Do not go into anyone else's cabin and do not let anyone in your cabin except family.

If you will be hanging out with a particular group of kids I want to meet them.

We are to know where you are at all times. I will be checking in periodically to make sure you are where you said you would be.

Set up times to meet, curfews, etc.

Finally, set up consequences if the rules are not followed. Do all this BEFORE getting on the ship so that everyone knows the rules.

I have sailed with my DH and kids and also with just my DD. As long as you are aware of your surroundings and don't put yourself in a situation you know you shouldn't be in you and your granddaughter will be fine.

I've taken my stepson and his family on the Voyager of the Seas twice. He is very conservative and cautious. He has 3 daughters. First time the girls were ages 11, 8, & 6. He signed them up with the Adventure Ocean program, and only certain adults could sign them out. After a couple of days, he realized how safe the ship is, and let the 11-year-old sign herself out anytime, and later even allowed the 11-year-old to sign out the other two girls.

The 2nd time on the Voyager (this past March) the girls were ages 12, 9, & 7, and he immediately let the 12-year-old sign out the other two girls anytime. The 12-year-old was too old for Adventure Ocean herself; she had run of the ship up to the curfew (1:00am I think, but she was usually in bed before then).

My point is my stepson would never allow this if it were not safe.

Now, at a port-of-call, I would NOT allow the 16-year-old to separate from the family. I would not allow anyone to separate from the family and be alone. I'm not saying ports are unsafe, but they certainly are not as safe as the ship.

Frankly, the biggest concern will be keeping the 16-year-old away from the 16 & 17-year-old boys at the teen club. But that's no different that it is at home.

Archived