Opinions Appreciated PRINCESS vs HAL (RT Hawaii)

sea-cruise

We've sailed both lines many times, but it's been years since we've been aboard either of them. Your advice would be appreciated if you have sailed the Golden Princess or HAL's Zaandam recently. We're wondering how the quality of food is and the condition of the ships/staterooms recently?

Both lines leave from California RT to Hawaii in the Fall, and are only $600 difference in price pp for a balcony.

(We are in our late 60's and we use to sail HAL quite often 20-30 years ago, as well as Princess.)

I will check back periodically to read your input. Many thanks for your help.

:)

I love cruising, but love Hawaii just as much. Going on a two week crusie with only four days of ports calls is a waste. I strongly suggest flying to Hawaii and staying at least three nights, preferably five, on any any given island there. We recently spent a week on the big island (for the second time) and there is still a lot more to see and do. Sorry to be negative, but save your crusing for other locales.

I love cruising, but love Hawaii just as much. Going on a two week crusie with only four days of ports calls is a waste. I strongly suggest flying to Hawaii and staying at least three nights, preferably five, on any any given island there. We recently spent a week on the big island (for the second time) and there is still a lot more to see and do. Sorry to be negative, but save your crusing for other locales.

No, you're not negative, you're giving an honest opinion, and one that is correct. We have relatives who moved to Lahaina, Maui 20 years ago, and we have flown to different islands (Maui, Oahu, Big Island, & Kaui) for land based vacations on them, (our favorite was going up the river on Kauai and seeing the Fern Grotto), but we did cruise to Hawaii from Ensenada in the Spring of 2001 onboard Celebrity's Infinity, and we really enjoyed that cruise.

Thank you so much for your input though, it is appreciated.

Thank you! An extra night is nice!! :)

I haven't sailed on HAL yet, but from reading these boards it sounds like they are quite similar. That being the case, I would choose HAL because of the extra stop. I think Princess messed up when they dropped Kona and went from 15 to 14 nights, JMHO!

Generally, I prefer Princess to HAL, but I do think HAL's Hawaii itinerary is slightly better.

Another consideration, HAL's standard balcony cabin does have a sitting area (loveseat), whereas Princess's standard balcony cabin does not.

Loving sea days, I think the RT cruises out of California are a winner.

We were on Golden in late October Hawaii R/T. The ship had been refurbished and looked great. There were many changes, but if you had never been there before, you would not have known what was different. I was a bit surprised with the number of folks from U.K. on board.

I want to comment about the post regarding flying over for the experience for Hawaii only. A cruise to Hawaii has many sea days, and the folks who like that type of itinerary are drawn to this on. That means you will find many others on board whose thoughts on cruising are similar to your own. If you like to fly, then fly to Hawaii. If you like the sea days, then this is the way to go.

Jim

We did Golden to Hawaii last year and have booked HAL for Jan 2012 - during that time the itineraries will be exactly the same (HAL dropping Kona and going 14days). We have been generally Princess types but because Princess has chosen not to release their end of 2011 beginning of 2012 itineraries at this point and HAL has we went with HAL (just did our first HAL last April and LOVED them). Since Princess is dropping the 14 day ALASKA after this year we again went with HAL for their 14 day in 2011. Seems like we are turning more into HAL cruisers now! Finally, there are exactly the same Princess/HAL Mexico 7 days next April HAL cabins are larger and the price came out cheaper...so go figure! I love Princess but cant seem to catch a break with them lately.

Ship wise (and this is a cruise with many sea days) I think Golden wins hands down, espescially after all its recent upgrades in drydock. Also Golden has a special CD (can't remember his name but others here will) who does the Hawaii cruises and has many Hawaii oriented activities for the sea days like Lei making, hula lessons, ukelele lessons and lots more...I have researched these 2 cruises closely and its not even close in my opinion.

Food on Princess and HAL is very close I would say....specialty restaurants I would give to Princess as I didn't think too much of the Pinnacle Grill on HAL but MDR is about the same, maybe slight advantage to HAL but not enough to sway my decision.

Ship wise (and this is a cruise with many sea days) I think Golden wins hands down, espescially after all its recent upgrades in drydock. Also Golden has a special CD (can't remember his name but others here will) who does the Hawaii cruises and has many Hawaii oriented activities for the sea days like Lei making, hula lessons, ukelele lessons and lots more...I have researched these 2 cruises closely and its not even close in my opinion.

Food on Princess and HAL is very close I would say....specialty restaurants I would give to Princess as I didn't think too much of the Pinnacle Grill on HAL but MDR is about the same, maybe slight advantage to HAL but not enough to sway my decision.

David Cole. He is excellent.

We've done the HAL itin. twice, although on 2 different ships. We loved both cruises, but Zaandam is our favorite ship so far.

We are taking our 1st Princess cruise next year--hopefully they won't cancel our cruise like RCI did. Very excited to experience Princess tho'. :)

Our experience with that cruise, will decide which line we choose for another Hawaii in 2012.

Pat

We have done the 14 day Golden Princess Hawaii cruise and love it and the ship.

http://thegeomonkeys.com/category/hawaii-2010/

That is a link to the live blog we did during that cruise. Included in the blog is pictures and reviews of the food, including the Chef's Table and both Specialty Restaurants, every public space on every deck, just about everything you can think of. Take a peak and see what you think.

I've been on several Princess and HAL cruises over the past couple of years. I find them very similar. There pluses and and minus' to both.

The Golden is not my favorite Princess ship by a long shot but I haven't been on the Zaandam although I was on the Zuiderdam last month so I really can't give you a direct comparison. Overall, I don't think one is better than the other.

Things I like about HAL is the fact that you can order anything on the dinner menu for room service, breakfast or dinner. They also have a specialty Italian restaurant that's free... and wonderful. Great on formal nights when you don't want to dress up. They have a wine card so if you like a glass or two a night, it's less than on Princess.

Things I like about Princess is that overall, I think the food is better and you have far more options of food to order. HAL isn't as flexible if you want to order any modifications or something off-menu, something to consider on a 14-day cruise. Self-serve laundry options are better on Princess and I believe some HAL ships don't have a mini-frig in cabins.

If I were considering between the two ships and cruise lines, I'd look at pricing, cabin availability, etc. In April, I had an aft balcony on my HAL cruise that was to die for; I'd book that cabin again in a heartbeat.

Lin & Vince, I enjoyed your blogs! The photos are great!

Thanks to each CC member who posted here! All info is valuable being I drifted to other cruiselines in recent years.

I'm really leaning towards the Golden Princess.

I'll be poking my nose around this board more often now. :):):):):)

Lin & Vince, I enjoyed your blogs! The photos are great!

Thanks to each CC member who posted here! All info is valuable being I drifted to other cruiselines in recent years.

I'm really leaning towards the Golden Princess.

I'll be poking my nose around this board more often now. :):):):):)

Please let us know what your decision is going to be! Thanks to Vince and Lin, I booked the Golden Princess for the Thanksgiving sailing to Hawaii and am very excited about it...

Archived