St. George

NYcruzzer

St Georges is beautiful . We enjoyed our land trip to that side of the island. The hotel we stayed in was above Fort Catherine--great views, golf course, nice beach way below and close to so much history.

We are looking foward to seeing more of the other side this time around but thought the all isalnd trip would be a good excursion.

Was it this hotel?

IMG_0606.jpg

Everyone has a right to their own opinion and mine is the place is boring and nothing is there to make me want to return. My time in Bermuda is precious therefore I have no obligation to go to St. George's when I'd rather be at the South Shore Beaches. It's not my fault they never widened the town cut and therefore lost all their ships. If you want to spend your time in St. George's go right ahead but don't critique my opinion for not agreeing with you. Been there, seen it all, no interest in returning.

Widening the town cut is not as simple as it may sound. There are environmental concerns and concerns about the effect it would have on the town if the area is hit by a hurricane.

I have not been there for a couple of years but I am scheduled to be there in a little over a week on Veendam. I will certainly will report back on the current situation. I would like to test out my new snorkel mask at Tobacco Bay so I don't think my day there will be a lost day even if stores are no longer in business.

Also there is a very nice south shore beach that can be reached from St. George. John Smiths Bay. Since it is hardly known there are no crowds!

St Georges is beautiful . We enjoyed our land trip to that side of the island. The hotel we stayed in was above Fort Catherine--great views, golf course, nice beach way below and close to so much history.

We are looking foward to seeing more of the other side this time around but thought the all isalnd trip would be a good excursion.

That must have been years ago! That hotel has been demolished and was out of business for years.

Thanks everyone...we are fine with the allotted time as we have been there before on a land trip & seen all the places of interest...we also plan to be on the bus back to the ship ..

we really just want to know if there is a food stand, pizza place, deli, bakery or some place in the main square area where we can get a snack and a cold drink & use the restroom. I am diabetic & if there are no snack places available we will have to consider cancelling the excursion.....or settling for taking sealed granola bars with us --you can't take foood off the ship.

.I can't imagine a 5 1/2 hr trip without a food or rest stop ???

We were there in May - dunking is at 12 Noon and is the highlight - about 15 minutes, so I'm sure that's when they are stopping. The White Horse Tavern is a full restaurant and not a quick place at all. There were no food stands -- on the main road -- the road to the right of the road with the shops there was a coffee shop 1/2 way down the block - that was it. DH brings icing tubes just in case of a low. Enjoy St. George's and if you can - come back to the Swizzle Inn -- all business cards envelop the atmosphere -- a fun place. Vicki

Geesh.

No one is critiquing your opnion, just offering their opinion and surely no one said it was your fault they didn't widen the town cut.

For the record, you're the one who said it used to be an interesting place to visit and there's no there there. Once again, I am curious as to what is not there anymore?

It was interesting to visit the first time. Once was more than enough. I'm sure you're aware of all the businesses that closed after the ships left.

Widening the town cut is not as simple as it may sound. There are environmental concerns and concerns about the effect it would have on the town if the area is hit by a hurricane.

Maybe so, but it looks like they are seriously considering doing it.

http://www.royalgazette.com/rg/Article/article.jsp?articleId=7da48273003003b&sectionId=60

http://www.royalgazette.com/rg/Article/article.jsp?articleId=7da48ab3003000c&sectionId=60

http://bermudasun.bm/main.asp?SectionID=24&SubSectionID=270&ArticleID=46026

I have read those articles. It does not change the fact that it is not a simple matter. I hope they are able to widen the cut and do it!

I have read those articles. It does not change the fact that it is not a simple matter. I hope they are able to widen the cut and do it!

If they would, the question would be how much wider and would any cruise line still have any ships that would fit given the current trend of getting rid of "smaller" ones in favor of BIG?

St. George is one of our favorite ports (if the ship is docked in St. George). We've been there 5 or 6 times. In addition to laid back serene atmosphere it is one of the best places in Bermuda to snorkel. Specifically a little marina on pictures of (ex-)hotel in previous posts that is next to Tobacco Bay (also a pretty nice place to snorkel BTW, especially for children). I think the reason cruise companies (operating in U.S.) stopped docking there is that there are virtually no ships left that can make the cut. Holland America Veendam is probably the last one still docking in St. George.

St. George is one of our favorite ports (if the ship is docked in St. George). We've been there 5 or 6 times. In addition to laid back serene atmosphere it is one of the best places in Bermuda to snorkel. Specifically a little marina on pictures of (ex-)hotel in previous posts that is next to Tobacco Bay (also a pretty nice place to snorkel BTW, especially for children). I think the reason cruise companies (operating in U.S.) stopped docking there is that there are virtually no ships left that can make the cut. Holland America Veendam is probably the last one still docking in St. George.

Veendam is not docking in St. George's. They realized before the start of the cruise season that the ship was actually too big to make it through the cut. They are anchoring offshore and tendering passengers into St. George's.

Hi. We'll be visiting at the end of the month. I'm thinking of taking the ferry up from the Dockyards to St. George. What would you suggest we see in St. George that will be interesting for the kids (ages 10 - 2)? I'd like to explore the town a bit before going to Tobacco Bay for snorkelling.

Thanks.

Hi. We'll be visiting at the end of the month. I'm thinking of taking the ferry up from the Dockyards to St. George. What would you suggest we see in St. George that will be interesting for the kids (ages 10 - 2)? I'd like to explore the town a bit before going to Tobacco Bay for snorkelling.

Thanks.

My two year old really liked the trolley ride in St. George. We all enjoyed the food and the view at the White Horse Inn. I think everyone will enjoy the dunking. There is also a fort which might appeal to a 10 year old.

we'll be gong there on a 5 1/2 hr excursion from the Dockyard area-- we will have 45 min there on our own--

We have been there before so finding a restroom & getting something to eat will be our main priority on that stop. Is there a place in the main area of the town where we can get a quick snack?

There is also a Supermarket on the way to the Park with the original circle arch (forget what is called). There are picnic tables there.

There is also a Supermarket on the way to the Park with the original circle arch (forget what is called). There are picnic tables there.

The supermarket is Somer's Market which was mentioned.;)

Moon gate in Somer's Garden?:)

Yep and Yep.

So my input here is completely superfluous. :)

Just thought that the 2 having the name Somers was an interesting bit of trivia. And for some more trivia, Bermuda is also called a less widely known name......Somers Isles.;)

Just thought that the 2 having the name Somers was an interesting bit of trivia. And for some more trivia, Bermuda is also called a less widely known name......Somers Isles.;)

Now you have me feeling like Edith Bunker for "All in the Family." "Ohhhhhh.":)

Okay, okay, so I stirred the pot a little and left. Sorrr-ry (not really...), but we had to leave for...BERMUDA!

Fantastic trip as always, but to the point: the first morning we decided to go to: St George’s (cheerleader? Moi?).

Well, just when you think you’ve seen it all...

It appears Gov’t is taking a proactive approach to engaging visitors, so they currently have tour guides on the ferry to give newbies a crash course on where/what to see.

As it happened, our guide was a Mr. Jones: the former Mayor, Town Crier, (and real character); he made a lovely trip even more entertaining. We now have it on good authority that the lovely mansion on the north shore is actually his, and he just lets the PM use it.

So. Next we get off the ferry to do our visit, lunch, etc. And there, just off the ramp, was this fellow with a straw hat, Bermuda shorts, stockings, the whole deal, holding a sign that said "Carriage Tour." (We won’t go into the details trying to book a St. Geo. carriage ride through a certain cruise line...)

This gentleman said he provided an hour tour for $10/person if we shared the carriage. And why not? Just then a family of four (parents, 2DD) showed up. Our guide John introduced himself and his horses (matched pair of greys), and away we went.

I’ve been seeing carriage rides here in GBG for years, but I never knew what a peaceful way they are to travel. Lovely.

Yes, we did all the normal downtown stuff, but then John went out the backstreets: he pointed out more than just old pastel buildings, but how/why they make the roofs, old homes that are being renovated, limestone vs. Bermuda stone, etc. We took a loop out to Tobacco Bay/St Catherine’s/Battery Beach - even at low tide they looked beautiful. On the way, showed us some of the local fauna: the passion flower, Bermuda cactus; he stopped and pulled little pieces of aloe, fennel, and rosemary for all of us to smell. All very neat. Great ride.

The town: We walked up Water Street and there was certainly not the visitor traffic that a docked ship would add. It wasn’t a ghost town, but it’s had an effect :(: there were 3 or 4 empty fronts there and a couple back off the road (if I remember correctly, they were the high-end clothing/specialty shops and souvenir places). Frankly, the shops we have always visited for their products, prices, and atmosphere are all still open. Anyway, DW did her shopping and I poked around my history spots. Yes, the town still has its charm.

By this point, we had missed the midday ferry so we decided to have lunch in town. Instead of the White Horse, we went to the more recent “Wahoo’s” for lunch. The staff seemed a little confused that day, but the food was very good, and the view of the harbor beautiful.

Also, when we were doing our tour, we spent a little time talking about what is happening to the town. As far as widening the cut, he showed us the flyer advertising the this week’s town meeting about it. Our guide said that the cut would probably have to be about fifty feet wider; from his understanding, the damage would not be as dramatic as some say. During its tenure on Bermuda, he said the US Navy had done ALOT more damage to Island’s resources. (I looked it up - we left quite the mess...). So. There’s our update.

Oh, and he said all their visitation problems were because of this one guy in NJ... :D

Okay, okay, so I stirred the pot a little and left. Sorrr-ry (not really...), but we had to leave for...BERMUDA!

Fantastic trip as always, but to the point: the first morning we decided to go to: St George’s (cheerleader? Moi?).

Well, just when you think you’ve seen it all...

It appears Gov’t is taking a proactive approach to engaging visitors, so they currently have tour guides on the ferry to give newbies a crash course on where/what to see.

As it happened, our guide was a Mr. Jones: the former Mayor, Town Crier, (and real character); he made a lovely trip even more entertaining. We now have it on good authority that the lovely mansion on the north shore is actually his, and he just lets the PM use it.

So. Next we get off the ferry to do our visit, lunch, etc. And there, just off the ramp, was this fellow with a straw hat, Bermuda shorts, stockings, the whole deal, holding a sign that said "Carriage Tour." (We won’t go into the details trying to book a St. Geo. carriage ride through a certain cruise line...)

This gentleman said he provided an hour tour for $10/person if we shared the carriage. And why not? Just then a family of four (parents, 2DD) showed up. Our guide John introduced himself and his horses (matched pair of greys), and away we went.

I’ve been seeing carriage rides here in GBG for years, but I never knew what a peaceful way they are to travel. Lovely.

Yes, we did all the normal downtown stuff, but then John went out the backstreets: he pointed out more than just old pastel buildings, but how/why they make the roofs, old homes that are being renovated, limestone vs. Bermuda stone, etc. We took a loop out to Tobacco Bay/St Catherine’s/Battery Beach - even at low tide they looked beautiful. On the way, showed us some of the local fauna: the passion flower, Bermuda cactus; he stopped and pulled little pieces of aloe, fennel, and rosemary for all of us to smell. All very neat. Great ride.

The town: We walked up Water Street and there was certainly not the visitor traffic that a docked ship would add. It wasn’t a ghost town, but it’s had an effect :(: there were 3 or 4 empty fronts there and a couple back off the road (if I remember correctly, they were the high-end clothing/specialty shops and souvenir places). Frankly, the shops we have always visited for their products, prices, and atmosphere are all still open. Anyway, DW did her shopping and I poked around my history spots. Yes, the town still has its charm.

By this point, we had missed the midday ferry so we decided to have lunch in town. Instead of the White Horse, we went to the more recent “Wahoo’s” for lunch. The staff seemed a little confused that day, but the food was very good, and the view of the harbor beautiful.

Also, when we were doing our tour, we spent a little time talking about what is happening to the town. As far as widening the cut, he showed us the flyer advertising the this week’s town meeting about it. Our guide said that the cut would probably have to be about fifty feet wider; from his understanding, the damage would not be as dramatic as some say. During its tenure on Bermuda, he said the US Navy had done ALOT more damage to Island’s resources. (I looked it up - we left quite the mess...). So. There’s our update.

Oh, and he said all their visitation problems were because of this one guy in NJ... :D

First, let me say that not everyone from NJ dislikes St Georges. We love it.

On our visit a few weeks ago, we noticed that everything looked freshly painted. I think the town is trying to look its best for the Veendam passengers who will tender into St G (on the rare occasions that tendering is possible).

As you say, a few stores are gone, but our faves were still there, too. I like that there are a few stores selling locally made things.

I love the quiet lanes--it's a great place to wander around with a camera.

And Tobacco Bay has upped their game. The snack place makes great fresh food, including delicious wraps. And they offer beer and wine--even Prosecco. What's better than sitting on a quiet beach, sipping champers?!?!?

So if you're on the Veendam, take the tender, it isn't a bad ride (and you get some nice photos if you sit up top). If Veendam goes right to Hamilton, take the #10 or 11 bus (sit on the left for nice views of the north shore). And if you're at the Dockyard, take the ferry. But don't write off St Georges!!

I'd love to do the St. Geo carraige ride with the family. How many people can fit? And about how long does it last? We'll be there Sat & Sun. Was thinking about Sunday but having a hard time finding ferry to St george on Sunday. Do you know if he's there on weekends?

The ferry from the Dockyard to/from St George does not run on weekends. Your option would be to take the ferry (Blue Route) from the Dockyard to Hamilton and the a bus or taxi to SG. The ferry ride is 20-25 minutes and the bus/taxi ride would be 50 minutes, the taxi would be a little less. Buses/ferries run on reduced schedules on weekends; taxis have a 25% surcharge for weekends and would be expensive :eek: even without the surcharge.

Your best carriage ride option would be to do the tour in Hamilton.

2 threads from CC:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=804348

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=733556

2 tour companies

http://www.bermudahorseandcarriages.com/

http://www.bermuda4u.com/Transport/bermuda_transport_horse_carriage.html

SBtS

The ferry from the Dockyard to/from St George does not run on weekends. Your option would be to take the ferry (Blue Route) from the Dockyard to Hamilton and the a bus or taxi to SG. The ferry ride is 20-25 minutes and the bus/taxi ride would be 50 minutes, the taxi would be a little less. Buses/ferries run on reduced schedules on weekends; taxis have a 25% surcharge for weekends and would be expensive :eek: even without the surcharge.

2 threads from CC:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=804348

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=733556

2 tour companies

http://www.bermudahorseandcarriages.com/

http://www.bermuda4u.com/Transport/bermuda_transport_horse_carriage.html

SBtS

The taxi surcharge is on Sundays, Holidays and after 11 pm not on Saturday.

They don't run the ferries even when there are ships in port? Not even Saturday? That's a shame, because St Georges needs the business. I don't think many pax will do the hour and a half trip to St G.

Sadly, I agree. St G has better atmosphere. But maybe on a weekend Hamilton traffic will be lighter.

2 threads from CC:

Archived